When references are made to institutionalized racism, this is what is meant.

I see you have a chosen a popular form of denial among conservatives. If you don't like the findings of a study, question its legitimacy. Kinda like what happened when Trump and his minions didn't like the outcome of the 2020 election.
haha... so basically you mean we should take at face value every claim made, and never question anything??

Laughing-Emoji.png

What Researchers Discovered When They Sent 80,000 Fake Résumés to U.S. Jobs

A group of economists recently performed an experiment on around 100 of the largest companies in the country, applying for jobs using made-up résumés with equivalent qualifications but different personal characteristics. They changed applicants’ names to suggest that they were white or Black, and male or female — Latisha or Amy, Lamar or Adam.

On Monday, they released the names of the companies. On average, they found, employers contacted the presumed white applicants 9.5 percent more often than the presumed Black applicants.

Yet this practice varied significantly by firm and industry. One-fifth of the companies — many of them retailers or car dealers — were responsible for nearly half of the gap in callbacks to white and Black applicants.

Two companies favored white applicants over Black applicants significantly more than others. They were AutoNation, a used car retailer, which contacted presumed white applicants 43 percent more often, and Genuine Parts Company, which sells auto parts including under the NAPA brand, and called presumed white candidates 33 percent more often.

It doesn't mean overt, extreme racism is rampant in America. It's existence is much more subtle and insidious than that. Some people may exhibit signs of racism subconsciously. Or not consider it to be racism at all.

What is much more difficult to measure than the job discrimination this study reveals is the affect on blacks in America. To what extent has it caused the economic and educational disparities that exist given what some call systemic racism has been going on for centuries.
That’s it? That’s the racism in America??

What a joke!

Blacks before Obama: A mind is a terrible thing to waste
Blacks after Obama: Math is racist

Institutional racism, or systemic racism, is going on today..............as the study shows.

Institutional racism requires institutions to actively promote it, via policy and procedure.

systemic racism is a way to make a person's usual "fear of other" into something nefarious.

All government is supposed to do is provide a level legal playing field, it's not supposed to find a way to punish thoughtcrime.

A group of economists recently performed an experiment on around 100 of the largest companies in the country, applying for jobs using made-up résumés with equivalent qualifications but different personal characteristics. They changed applicants’ names to suggest that they were white or Black, and male or female — Latisha or Amy, Lamar or Adam.

On Monday, they released the names of the companies. On average, they found, employers contacted the presumed white applicants 9.5 percent more often than the presumed Black applicants.

Yet this practice varied significantly by firm and industry. One-fifth of the companies — many of them retailers or car dealers — were responsible for nearly half of the gap in callbacks to white and Black applicants.

Two companies favored white applicants over Black applicants significantly more than others. They were AutoNation, a used car retailer, which contacted presumed white applicants 43 percent more often, and Genuine Parts Company, which sells auto parts including under the NAPA brand, and called presumed white candidates 33 percent more often.

It doesn't mean overt, extreme racism is rampant in America. It's existence is much more subtle and insidious than that. Some people may exhibit signs of racism subconsciously. Or not consider it to be racism at all.

What is much more difficult to measure than the job discrimination this study reveals is the affect on blacks in America. To what extent has it caused the economic and educational disparities that exist given what some call systemic racism has been going on for centuries.
What is you solution to the fact that employers prefer white or asian employees?

You want true systemic racism? Look toward inner city education services, and the liberal fight against school choice...There's your discrimination....

Election year after election year, liberal democrats try to con inner city minorities that only they have the minority's best interest at heart, until the day after the election, when they forget all about them, and under fund the schools, ensuring that black and other minorities don't have the same chance as their wealthy white constituents....It's a scam.

Now, as for this study, (if that's what you want to call it) that the libs in the media are pushing is just the latest 'division tactic' election year pander....Don't fall for it.

Is some of this due to old fashioned, mouth breathing, ignorant, paranoid racism? That would be a "yes".

Is of this also due to resentment that has been building for decades because some of the tactics used by those who say they're against it? That would also be a "yes".

What are the percentages? Which one of the above is more prevalent? I couldn't tell you. And I don't care.

What I do know is that the two ends of this argument are great at feeding into the other, giving the other all the material they need.

Is some of this due to old fashioned, mouth breathing, ignorant, paranoid racism? That would be a "yes".

Is of this also due to resentment that has been building for decades because some of the tactics used by those who say they're against it? That would also be a "yes".

What are the percentages? Which one of the above is more prevalent? I couldn't tell you. And I don't care.

What I do know is that the two ends of this argument are great at feeding into the other, giving the other all the material they need.

The basic human "fear of other" isn't old fashioned racism, which was far more of an active belief, not the reflex we all have, all races, both sexes, even economic class, nationality, or even regionality.

The current tactics are only beginning to impact us in the past decade. The real issue is the left may create more of what it wants to eliminate, by pushing those being screwed over from the simple fear of other to active racism as a defense.

haha... so basically you mean we should take at face value every claim made, and never question anything??

View attachment 931449
No. Why would say such a stupid thing? That would mean people should believe Trump won the 2020 election. Or the that he did "nothing wrong" while trying to steal the election he lost. We need to base our beliefs on evidence and facts. Like the evidence of systemic racism revealed by the study. Got it?

I see you have a chosen a popular form of denial among conservatives. If you don't like the findings of a study, question its legitimacy. Kinda like what happened when Trump and his minions didn't like the outcome of the 2020 election.
Is there actual documention of all these applications they allegedly sent?

The point of the thread isn't to make any argument. It's to point out the existence of the kind of institutional racism conservatives deny exists.

So in other words, you have no opinion just want to say some shit to make your self feel superior?
Or, more aptly said, you are just being the usual Mac1958?

The vast majority of Companies now go out of their way to hire minorities regardless of qualifications. Look at our embarrassing VP, look at the latest AA idiot on SCOTUS!!

You think Clarence Thomas would be on SCOTUS if he couldn’t answer what is a woman??

Meanwhile government contracts can include MBE/WBE requirements that basically force contractors to give 10%-30% of their contract to these subcontractors, basically blocking out males and whites from these enterprises.

But that's OK because "reasons"

Nice try but it doesn’t work that way.

I was a project manager and the “meebe-weebe” requirements were actually easily avoided.

All it required was naming a minority owned or woman owned firm as one of the bidders. My company had favorite vendors so he MWB/WBE contractors never won the bids but we used them as “attempts “ and that was enough.

After a while we had to pay them to provide estimates because they never won them.

And before you bitch at me… this was not my choice. This was my company.

They've invested a lot in the presumption that names are racial indicators. Are we sure it's not just weird names that are getting discriminated against?

Forum List

Back