When outrage is all the rage, progressive politics suffer

A great piece on how social media is making everybody dumber, but primarily I blame the education system. Nobody is taught how to think critically anymore.

Did you hear, for example, that Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, had an actual, literal, real-life Nazi working for it? A Nazi! Also, there was a secret deal between retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy and Donald Trump where Kennedy agreed he would retire if and only if Trump subsequently nominated Brett Kavanaugh, Kennedy’s handpicked successor, to fill his seat.

If you spend any time on Twitter, you’ve likely come across these rumors, both of which exploded onto the social-media scene in recent weeks. It’s somewhat less likely you came across the news that both are false. The ICE story had an embarrassingly simple explanation: A bunch of people, including some professional journalists and policy mavens, decided that a tattoo visible on an ICE employee’s arm in a publicity photograph was a Nazi symbol, and began clamoring for ICE to be held accountable for allowing a dangerous extremist into its ranks. But the tattoo wasn’t, in fact, an Iron Cross: As Haaretz subsequently explained, the employee’s tattoo was a “‘Titan 2,’ the symbol of the platoon he fought with in Afghanistan, where he lost both of his legs in an IED explosion.”

When outrage is all the rage, progressive politics suffer - The Boston Globe

What a stupid premise. But it’s always cute when it comes from angry insane trumpkins

And there is nothing great about your little article.

But thank you for proving once again how the right hates education.

A great piece on how social media is making everybody dumber, but primarily I blame the education system. Nobody is taught how to think critically anymore.

Did you hear, for example, that Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, had an actual, literal, real-life Nazi working for it? A Nazi! Also, there was a secret deal between retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy and Donald Trump where Kennedy agreed he would retire if and only if Trump subsequently nominated Brett Kavanaugh, Kennedy’s handpicked successor, to fill his seat.

If you spend any time on Twitter, you’ve likely come across these rumors, both of which exploded onto the social-media scene in recent weeks. It’s somewhat less likely you came across the news that both are false. The ICE story had an embarrassingly simple explanation: A bunch of people, including some professional journalists and policy mavens, decided that a tattoo visible on an ICE employee’s arm in a publicity photograph was a Nazi symbol, and began clamoring for ICE to be held accountable for allowing a dangerous extremist into its ranks. But the tattoo wasn’t, in fact, an Iron Cross: As Haaretz subsequently explained, the employee’s tattoo was a “‘Titan 2,’ the symbol of the platoon he fought with in Afghanistan, where he lost both of his legs in an IED explosion.”

What a stupid premise. But it’s always cute when it comes from angry insane trumpkins

I don't think the OP is entirely wrong. What I do think is that as a collective, we have gotten lazy and do not examine what we're being told too closely in some cases. I utilize NPR and the AP as my key sources. The Wall Street Journal is good too. I don't know if "thinking critically" is what is lacking as much as wanting and finding confirmation bias. Thinking neutrally is much more important in my view. You'd find that most people are purple in terms of their viewpoints, most heroes are not all that heroic, and much (if not most) of history is the 1% of the information that sticks out from the swamp of morass that would otherwise cloud the "pristine facts" we've come to rely on.

I didn’t vote for Trump, I voted for Gary Johnson. And I have an MBA. You’ll have to try again. Three strikes and you’re out

I didn’t vote for Trump, I voted for Gary Johnson. And I have an MBA. You’ll have to try again. Three strikes and you’re out
Johnson was such an idiot. Of course, most libertarians are.

Nobody is taught how to think critically anymore.
And that may be at the core of our problems. We're conditioned to think tactically, not critically. Beat the other "side", no matter what it takes. Wait for the the person to stop talking, and then just attack.

There are people who argue that it has been so long since we engaged in critical thinking and communicated based on critical thinking that we've essentially lost the skill.

I agree with that, and that worries me as much as anything else.

I hope we haven’t lost it.

I was just talking to my son along these lines. Have we stopped progressing? I contend we’re in a state of cultural upheaval, and without seeing the bigger historical picture, it feels like our society is going to hell.

I think critical thinking has sort of fallen out of favor, but not lost.
Here's hoping. Maybe this stuff is cyclical. But it sure is ugly, and we seem to be so PROUD of it.

They will say anything to protect their ignorant voting block.

^Purported lawyer types with horrible grammar skills.

From that, I deduce that you are not a lawyer, but a lying Internet Shill.

Her posting does not lend credence to her claim that she has a BA or MBA, let alone law school.

But what is worse, is when "traditional" media uses the misinformation found on social media and uses the tired, old "some are saying".... and this gives validity to something that is not true.
And they do it knowingly.

Quote of the Day - "If you do not watch the news or read a newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do - you are misinformed."

I don't think the OP is entirely wrong. What I do think is that as a collective, we have gotten lazy and do not examine what we're being told too closely in some cases. I utilize NPR and the AP as my key sources. The Wall Street Journal is good too. I don't know if "thinking critically" is what is lacking as much as wanting and finding confirmation bias. Thinking neutrally is much more important in my view. You'd find that most people are purple in terms of their viewpoints, most heroes are not all that heroic, and much (if not most) of history is the 1% of the information that sticks out from the swamp of morass that would otherwise cloud the "pristine facts" we've come to rely on.
Which has what to do with the loony assertions in the o/p

Pick one of the loony assertions.

I think it’s explained in my post above.

Forum List

Back