When it comes to religion... can we all agree...

Islam is archaic and refuses to drag itself into the 21st century. It's an intransigent threat to pretty much everyone on the planet, and one day soon it will give the civilized world no choice but to wipe it out, utterly, simply for considerations of self-preservation and peace. That's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

those extremist Christians beheading people and suicide bombing..............
i-45590d25273028e065586042c86ca8ed-FriedrichCoch.jpg

...that Islam is fucking terrible?

A form of Islam is responsible for a lot of the issues we have currently in the world, but the religion as a whole is hard to blame as it does not have the structure Christianity had when it was being naughty. The inherent disorganization found after the end of the Ottoman Empire makes it hard to blame the rest of Islam for not getting its shit together.

What we can blame is any non extremist group that does not purge itself of extremists when they are found.

No. Extremists of any stripe are terrible though. That much I'll grant you.

Islam merely has hundreds upon hundreds of millions of them.

Now, I realize you are a fanboy and all, but could you please refer me to any passage in other religions that instructs its followers on beheading people?

Now, I realize you are a fanboy and all, but could you please refer me to any passage in other religions that instructs its followers on beheading people?

So?

If a religion demands that you kill people (and there are plenty of passages in the OT that do that) who cares if it's by decapitation or by stoning or whatever? Dead is dead.

People seem to have this bizarre idea that decapitation is worse than any other death and they seem to forget that these books were written over a thousand years ago when that was one of the popular means of execution. If conducted competently (apparently Saudi Arabia has had fewer decapitations due to a shortage of professional decapitators...) - it's quick. Beats stoning. Beats hanging. Yet people have this bizarre irrational reaction to it. The bible is full of stoning as a remedy for all kinds of misbehavior. Stoned or decapitated? Actually...there's interesting potential in combining that concept.

...that Islam is fucking terrible?
I'm a Druid. We don't have a sacred text, so I make it a hobby of reading others, especially the Bible and Gita.

I've read the Quran, in English. To be brief, I'd sum it up by citing the 23rd verse of the 2nd surah which challenges any who are in doubt about the Quran to bring forth a better book. And for about 112 more surahs, the text never ceases to thump it's own chest, to name itself, and to come off as severely insecure.

They say the Quran must be appreciated in its native Arabic. I don't doubt that. It is not timeless, like the Bible and Gita. The Bible, for example, leaves out the details. The reader must put something of himself into the story. It even gains meaning when translated into English, French and Russian. For example, in Russian, Chernobyl means 'wormwood', which adds a new dimension to Revelation.

The Bible also is filled with enigmatic and imperfect characters. The Quran attempts to steam iron flat the characters of the Bible, and to define them in stark terms, almost down to the point of describing the checker pattern on the Devil's boxer shorts.

Islam is two dimensional and appeals to people who want a cookbook rather than a compass.

That's a little harsh, but this is a message board post, and necessarily hyperbolic.

So?

If a religion demands that you kill people (and there are plenty of passages in the OT that do that) who cares if it's by decapitation or by stoning or whatever? Dead is dead.

People seem to have this bizarre idea that decapitation is worse than any other death and they seem to forget that these books were written over a thousand years ago when that was one of the popular means of execution. If conducted competently (apparently Saudi Arabia has had fewer decapitations due to a shortage of professional decapitators...) - it's quick. Beats stoning. Beats hanging. Yet people have this bizarre irrational reaction to it. The bible is full of stoning as a remedy for all kinds of misbehavior. Stoned or decapitated? Actually...there's interesting potential in combining that concept.

Jesus never told His followers to kill. That is a fact. There are no similar instructions as Mohammad's in the New testament. That is a fact

You are here to defend Islam by any dishonest means possible. Also a fact.

After 9/11 I read the Quran for the first time to try and understand the mind set of people who would kill themselves to crash planes into buildings filled with thousands of people. I started reading the Quran with an open mind expecting it to be a spiritual message like the teachings of Jesus but soon found it was full of instructions to fight in the way of Allah, and horrible hell for anyone that did not believe. My conclusion is that the Quran is the one and only book in the world that should be burned, because whoever reads it is more ignorant afterwards, and the Quran is all evil lies about God.

The world would have been a far better place if Muhammad had never been born, and the middle east would probably be largely Christian. There would have been no crusades, and there would not be wars that are going on now between Muslim extremists and the free world.

So?

Have you watched any of the ISIS beheading videos, because I watched the Daniel Pearl beheading years ago and the sawed his head off with a knife. This has happened to many people at the hands of ISIS and I am sure it was a terrible way to die. These people are barbarians and we must fight them.

Forum List

Back