When I was in Texas

When I was in Texas Pt. CCL :smoke:

A friend of mine owns a medium size hotel, so it was at least 104 degrees and this man appeared and said he wanted rooms for four days and four nights, this because the air conditioning in his house had stopped and it was some type of holiday weekend and they could not fix it until the Tuesday.

Is this a normal happening, if your air conditioning stopped would you go to a hotel or stay in the house?
Only those who could afford to do so. The better option, IMO, is to buy window air conditioners. Two big ones would cost the same 4 nights in a hotel plus provide backup for far longer than a week.
Some folks don't look for long term solutions...
True. I, OTOH, always have a Plan B if not a Plan C and D.
I have lots of plans they just never pan out..
"A good plan never survives first contact with reality"

It's important to remain flexible and understand that it's "just a plan". A general outline of how to get from Point A to Point B.

It's also important to have backup plans AKA alternate routes from Point A to Point B.

Our house in Fort Worth had a heat pump and it worked well when it worked. after spending nearly 10,000 dollars over a period of time fixing it, replacing it and fixing it and replacing it again, I put three window units in. Light bill was less, and almost as cool on really hot days.
My heat pump was working, but was over 20 years old and needed servicing. I thought about the "band-aids and bailing wire" approach, but since I'm nearing retirement, I decided to use Home Depot's 24 month free financing option and drop $10K on a new one. It works great and my electric bill dropped about $50/month.

A friend of mine owns a medium size hotel, so it was at least 104 degrees and this man appeared and said he wanted rooms for four days and four nights, this because the air conditioning in his house had stopped and it was some type of holiday weekend and they could not fix it until the Tuesday.

Is this a normal happening, if your air conditioning stopped would you go to a hotel or stay in the house?

Motel if it is 104 degrees outside but if it is in the 80's then I will stay home...

Our house in Fort Worth had a heat pump and it worked well when it worked. after spending nearly 10,000 dollars over a period of time fixing it, replacing it and fixing it and replacing it again, I put three window units in. Light bill was less, and almost as cool on really hot days.
My heat pump was working, but was over 20 years old and needed servicing. I thought about the "band-aids and bailing wire" approach, but since I'm nearing retirement, I decided to use Home Depot's 24 month free financing option and drop $10K on a new one. It works great and my electric bill dropped about $50/month.
Heat pumps sucks ass ....Well really they suck electricity...I use space heaters in rooms that need heated..

Only those who could afford to do so. The better option, IMO, is to buy window air conditioners. Two big ones would cost the same 4 nights in a hotel plus provide backup for far longer than a week.
"A good plan never survives first contact with reality"

It's important to remain flexible and understand that it's "just a plan". A general outline of how to get from Point A to Point B.

It's also important to have backup plans AKA alternate routes from Point A to Point B.
I just use a credit card..

Since I have three units I'd be alright.
But if they all died I'm outta there!

Man, my central went out, so I got a window unit and a fan; Total cost: $550.

It keeps the house comfortable and the electric bill is 2/3 of what it was, if that.

This winter I'll make an effort to find an exact backup for cheap.

Money spent on a hotel could be money spent on the house, IMO.

That could be a new lawn mower or water heater or something.

I don't have A/C, so it's a moot question

I thought everyone in America had air conditioning and also basements, although someone told me that in some American States they don't have basements, but I can't remember which States they are.

Well I know in Florida you either have a house or a sink hole, there is no in between basement.

And it seems to me in Oklahoma they have no basements, at least, every time they have a tornado they don't seem to have one. I would rather live in a sink hole than Oklahoma.

I thought everyone in America had air conditioning and also basements, although someone told me that in some American States they don't have basements, but I can't remember which States they are.

You cant have a basement anywhere along the Gulf Coast.
Not basements in Fort Worth area where I live. A rock layer about 8 foot down is one problem.

Not basements in Fort Worth area where I live. A rock layer about 8 foot down is one problem.

Is it Limerock? No basement here.

That's what your nurse with the bedpan told me...

Here you'd have an indoor swimming pool.

That's what your nurse with the bedpan told me...
I was going for a head shot..

Just build up a base of dried cow shit and then decorate...

Really old people with poor circulation can stand hotter temps..

Old people can not stand hot or cold (especially cold). Air conditioning moderates the temperatures and have increased the life expectancy for people more than any other invention.
Yeah, that why their houses are hot in the summer and hotter in the winter..

Hotter to you. Constant temp to them. It's that constant temp that matters. Some like it hot. Some like it cool. It depends on the person. The only thing that matters is that the temperature be static.

Old people can not stand hot or cold (especially cold). Air conditioning moderates the temperatures and have increased the life expectancy for people more than any other invention.

Hotter to you. Constant temp to them. It's that constant temp that matters. Some like it hot. Some like it cool. It depends on the person. The only thing that matters is that the temperature be static.

Not when it's 98 degrees with 98% humidity. Not too many like that.

Not when it's 98 degrees with 98% humidity.

Uh, that's what we call "swimming"! That's also one of the reasons why I don't live in Missouri!

Not sure, but it's some form of sedimentary rock. I have two acres and chunks bubble up after rains.

Not sure, but it's some form of sedimentary rock. I have two acres and chunks bubble up after rains.

Is it white? What's your elevation?

Forum List

Back