When closing a thread because......

.......there's a one somewhere else covering the same thing/story, could the mod place in a link in the said thread please taking us to the valid thread.
Quite often I do, though I merged one and did not post a link myself, though a poster had just posted the link in the thread, prompting me to merge it.
Clicking the box for redirect adding (redirecting to the new thread) is another thing done a lot when moving a thread, but sometimes not, depeding on why it was moved. Either way, the posting OP is informed.

Quite often I do, though I merged one and did not post a link myself, though a poster had just posted the link in the thread, prompting me to merge it.
Clicking the box for redirect adding (redirecting to the new thread) is another thing done a lot when moving a thread, but sometimes not, depeding on why it was moved. Either way, the posting OP is informed.
Are you censoring replies to gun related threads?

Are you censoring replies to gun related threads?
Not that I know of. I like guns, myself, have several, am considered above average with them (just like all the vast array of weapons, I trained on, and trained others on during military days). I probably shoot more often, these days, than the vast majority on this board. I am also a carry permit holder, covering open and concealed carry in my state, as well as thirty-something other state, never without it holstered when traveling more than 50 miles, including all states, I drive too. You just never know, when you might need a tool.

Not that I know of. I like guns, myself, have several, am considered above average with them (just like all the vast array of weapons, I trained on, and trained others on during military days). I probably shoot more often, these days, than the vast majority on this board.
Thanks! I asked because I can believe you.

So far I have had numerous threads addressing a particular event or issue in a certain deliberate context merged with another thread addressing it in an entirely different context. And I have had numerous threads moved to other locations. I don't believe I have ever had an explanation for these things. Ever.

Clicking the box for redirect adding (redirecting to the new thread) is another thing done a lot when moving a thread, but sometimes not, depending on why it was moved. Either way, the posting OP is informed.
It's Taz that's needs the Lovense Hush 2 plug inflicted on him/her/zi/they/them

So far I have had numerous threads addressing a particular event or issue in a certain deliberate context merged with another thread addressing it in an entirely different context.
That happens.... and since the postings for the two different threads are merged based on the time of each posts, the new thread often is very hard to follow.

That happens.... and since the postings for the two different threads are merged based on the time of each posts, the new thread often is very hard to follow.
Yes it destroys both context and the flow of the conversation thus rendering both threads unattractive except for those that just use threads to food fight. I can appreciate the mods just wanting one thread per topic but it isn't realistic. There are those who scan the headlines to get a thread in first and it will be worded in such a way to make it toxic and a food fight from the get go. So when a new more objective thread is just dumped into the food fight, it is frustrating for at least some of us.

So far I have had numerous threads addressing a particular event or issue in a certain deliberate context merged with another thread addressing it in an entirely different context. And I have had numerous threads moved to other locations. I don't believe I have ever had an explanation for these things. Ever.
This is a problem here for sure.
I have had the same done a LOT of times.
This is lazy modding.
The mod only takes a glance and sees that the two threads are both about "X" - and closes or merges it, without talking a few more seconds to see if the context is the same.
If you have experienced administrators, they teach this to newer moderators. Take a second to see if the threads are the same before merging them.

I think merging is fine, if caught early, but just shutting it down without linking it to the story/debate elsewhere, is a tad annoying.

It isn't fine to me when it destroys context and flow of discussion in one or both threads.
Exactly - and again, lazy moderation. And likely someone who disagrees with the thread, and doesn't care if it makes the thread a mess.
USMB has never been moderated well, and will likely never be that way. And that is not always the mod staff's fault. You have to have administrators over the mod staff. We don't have that here. We have no one "modding the mods" - you need that to curb sloppy mods, obvious bias etc.

Exactly - and again, lazy moderation. And likely someone who disagrees with the thread, and doesn't care if it makes the thread a mess.
USMB has never been moderated well, and will likely never be that way. And that is not always the mod staff's fault. You have to have administrators over the mod staff. We don't have that here. We have no one "modding the mods" - you need that to curb sloppy mods, obvious bias etc.
Mixed bag. We have had and have some excellent mods. And some that never should have been taken onto the mod squad. You're never going to have perfection when dealing with people, most especially volunteers, because nobody's perfect. But I do appreciate most who are willing to do it.

USMB would be intolerable without the mods. But I often do wish there would be a bit more common sense employed before moving or merging threads.

Mixed bag. We have had and have some excellent mods. And some that never should have been taken onto the mod squad. You're never going to have perfection when dealing with people, most especially volunteers, because nobody's perfect. But I do appreciate most who are willing to do it.

USMB would be intolerable without the mods. But I often do wish there would be a bit more common sense employed before moving or merging threads.
Oh for sure, flacaltenn was fair and cared. I had two dealings with him, and he was amicable and wanted a fair resolution, and tried to do just that. I am not saying that all the mods are or have been bad. I can name off several that were pretty decent. But I can also name off some that were awful - and one became an administrator before he disappeared.

Oh for sure, flacaltenn was fair and cared. I had two dealings with him, and he was amicable and wanted a fair resolution, and tried to do just that. I am not saying that all the mods are or have been bad. I can name off several that were pretty decent. But I can also name off some that were awful - and one became an administrator before he disappeared.
Yeah, me too. Kat was an excellent mod and was our guardian angel of the USMB Coffee Shop. I was so saddened when we lost her--she had become a valued personal friend as well as a mod--and was worried whether the Coffee Shop would continue to be properly protected. But Coyote and others have stepped up to fill that void and I deeply appreciate it.

So it continues a mixed bag. Yin and yang. Give and take. My complaints are minor and are intended in the hope that some negative actions will be rethought and maybe not mess up what were really good discussions. There are at least some of us who don't enjoy or appreciate the insult fests and food fights and who enjoy having our intellect stretched and challenged. I would like for USMB to accommodate that latter group too.

Yeah, me too. Kat was an excellent mod and was our guardian angel of the USMB Coffee Shop. I was so saddened when we lost her--she had become a valued personal friend as well as a mod--and was worried whether the Coffee Shop would continue to be properly protected. But Coyote and others have stepped up to fill that void and I deeply appreciate it.

So it continues a mixed bag. Yin and yang. Give and take. My complaints are minor and are intended in the hope that some negative actions will be rethought and maybe not mess up what were really good discussions. There are at least some of us who don't enjoy or appreciate the insult fests and food fights and who enjoy having our intellect stretched and challenged. I would like for USMB to accommodate that latter group too.
Wait... Kat is gone, as in gone gone??

Wait... Kat is gone, as in gone gone??
Sadly yes. A great loss to USMB and a personal loss as well.

Seems like they routinely ignore legit reports these days regarding improper topical content creation.

So I don't take the mauds very seriously any more. The ones who do that, I mean.

If they were working for me in the real world, I'd likely fire em for being half-assed. You can't have supervisors or foremen on a job site who only perform their designated duties whenever they feel like it. Because if they don't care, then the regular lugs won't care either and then the whole project becomes a wreck.

There's often a short list saying which mauds are on, so it's pretty easy to see who the derelict ones are when maud actions aren't performed regarding legit reports.

Ultimately the dereliction of duty only contributes to and encourages even more poor/improper topical content creation. So I view em as just part of/purveyors of the problem. And if you're not gonna take the role seriously, and perform legit maud actions when called upon to do so, then one might ask why one volunteered for the role/responsibility in the first place. What does one hope to get from acquiring the role if one isn't actually inerested in performing the legitimate actions pertaining to the role when legitimately called upon to do so? Is acquiring the role just to satisfy some kind of unfulfilled inner superiority complex or something?

Last edited:
Sadly yes. A great loss to USMB and a personal loss as well.
Kat was wonderful and honest.

Forum List

Back