Dragonfire, cheaper than using missiles

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
Looking on YouTube, a random short video appeared about Dragonfire, but first a BBC link to explain what Dragonfire is -

The UK has successfully fired a high-power laser weapon against an aerial target for the first time in a trial.

It is hoped that the test will pave the way for a low-cost alternative to missiles to shoot down targets like drones.

The DragonFire weapon is precise enough to hit a £1 coin from a kilometre away, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) says.

So basically, it's a really big laser gun. Has anyone else seen this story -

Seems impressive.

Oh yeah. Marjorie Taylor Greene already told us they have been using this tech to cause forest fires in California, and to wipe out homes in Maui. . .

:tinfoil:

Last edited:
Looking on YouTube, a random short video appeared about Dragonfire, but first a BBC link to explain what Dragonfire is -

The UK has successfully fired a high-power laser weapon against an aerial target for the first time in a trial.

It is hoped that the test will pave the way for a low-cost alternative to missiles to shoot down targets like drones.

The DragonFire weapon is precise enough to hit a £1 coin from a kilometre away, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) says.

Seems impressive.

Better hope the Jews don't get those and launch them into orbit.

1711400887823.png

Seems impressive.

Yes,I have seen the videos on it and if it is cost effective it is a big step foward for the future of military actions.
I remember years ago the USA military put out a video of a experimental laser weapon, I am not sure how much progress they have made since then.

Rapid fire 57mm do a fine job, not that I'm against lasers. Think we have a cpl deployed.

What U.S. Navy ships have lasers?

In 2020, amphibious warship USS Portland (LPD-27) used a high-energy weapon system to down a target drone in the Pacific, USNI News reported at the time. The Navy installed the first high-energy laser with integrated optical-dazzler and surveillance, or HELIOS, aboard Hawaii-based destroyer USS Preble (DDG-88) in 2022.Jan 9, 2024 US Navy ships with defensive laser - Google Search

Yes,I have seen the videos on it and if it is cost effective it is a big step foward for the future of military actions.

No, it's likely a dead end. As it has been for the last multiple decades.

Even those I knew who were involved in testing weapons like this and rail guns had no real faith in their being a realistic system outside of a very narrow usage.

But some people absolutely love anything "new", and always promote it as being the biggest change in technology ever.

Forum List

Back