When Christians Pray...Does It Change Anything

You can joke about the Bible if you want to but I have been in a couple of situations in my life when I said "God please let me live through this". I can't testify that divine intervention protected me but it made me feel better at the time and I am still alive. Who do agnostics cry out to when they are in trouble?

My normal response was "oh shit!" Then I would sing a song to calm down. That allways did the trick for me.

Do you people ever actually read the bible

Do you even have a clue what's there

The one doing the praying is the one who benefits but I know from my 77 years on this earth that whoever is being prayed for is shit out of luck I mean my goodness the statistics prove it. Anybody who can not read charts, graphs......clear text for that matter, has real problems in the head....especially if they think some invisible man in the sky is there for their beck and call.

Look.....if it's all god's devine plan why are you trying to change it. Don't you trust him enough to believe he will carry out his promises

Luke 12:

25 ¶ Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 and yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory 1 Kgs. 10.4-7 · 2 Chr. 9.3-6 was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 ¶ Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (401K anyone)

Nope, I've never read it all the way through. I've read some passages but as I stated I have never been religious. That's the difference between me and you. You claim to be so smart yet it evidently took you decades to figure out that the Bible was written by men with all their failings and foibles.

I figured it out when I was 6 or 7. I guess you really aren't smarter than a 5th grader.

You can joke about the Bible if you want to but I have been in a couple of situations in my life when I said "God please let me live through this". I can't testify that divine intervention protected me but it made me feel better at the time and I am still alive. Who do agnostics cry out to when they are in trouble?

My normal response was "oh shit!" Then I would sing a song to calm down. That allways did the trick for me.

The one doing the praying is the one who benefits but I know from my 77 years on this earth that whoever is being prayed for is shit out of luck I mean my goodness the statistics prove it. Anybody who can not read charts, graphs......clear text for that matter, has real problems in the head....especially if they think some invisible man in the sky is there for their beck and call.

Look.....if it's all god's devine plan why are you trying to change it. Don't you trust him enough to believe he will carry out his promises

Luke 12:

25 ¶ Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 and yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory 1 Kgs. 10.4-7 · 2 Chr. 9.3-6 was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 ¶ Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (401K anyone)

God must have never shown you a miracle then...huh? If you had experienced even one, you wouldn't feel the way you do now.

I know folks can't help it because of their brainwashing into the ancient god thing but prayer is totally ineffective. I know it is because of what I witnessed from my youngest memories. When I was born in 1934 the average life expectancy of a White male in the United States was 61. If someone survived their first heart attack they would mope around essentially incapcitated for a couple of years then die. Cancer was a death sentence. The only treatment was surgery and over half the time the tumor metasticised and spread all through the body and usually they lasted a year after that if they were lucky. Wednesday evening prayer meetings all over this country were crowded and prayer lists were a foot long. Every family either had a member or a close friend who was sick or dying. People prayed till their knees were bloody and the aflicted suffered and died anyway. Either the almighty supreme being didn't answer the prayers or he was AWOL from his job.

Now the average life expectency of a White male at birth is 78. Thanks to the spin offs from the moon landing in the late 60's we have sophisticated diagnostic systems, MRI, CTscans, ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy, heart catheri ation procedures, stents, bypasses, transplants, stem cell technology, chemo, radiation and limited invasive surgical procedures which produce much lower mortality statistics. The Christians think god is watching out for them. What about the millions upon millions who died or suffered unmercifully before all this technology and research came about through countless months and years of human dedication and effort..the ones who regardless of the dedication of those who prayed...suffered and died.

A few weeks ago one of my high school mates about 78 years old actually ask all of us to pray for positive results for an abdominal ultrasound and colonoscopy she had scheduled. Turned out she had indigestion.

The egotism and arrogance of those who cling to ancient god worship knows no bounds. If the creator of the universe visited us tomorrow do you really think he would meet with you

If you can't get an audience with the pope I'll be damned if I can see why you would be visited by the creator.

No. It's always when Muslims pray. When that happens it typically results in a change to the length of ones body !

Luke 12:

Nope, I've never read it all the way through. I've read some passages but as I stated I have never been religious. That's the difference between me and you. You claim to be so smart yet it evidently took you decades to figure out that the Bible was written by men with all their failings and foibles.

I figured it out when I was 6 or 7. I guess you really aren't smarter than a 5th grader.

Bullschit!!!!!!!!! I never believed that stuff for a minute. I used to look around the sanctuary on Sunday mornings after teaching the young adults Suncay school class and wonder if any of the folks in there believed it. They damned sure didn 't live a "Christ Like" life.

Walk the extra mile, turn the other cheek, do unto others, love thy neighbor, if sued in court for coat, voluntarily give cloak, pray for those who curse and despise you, take no thought for tomorrow, sell what you have and give it to the poor, be ye also perfect even as the father is perfect.

You must be schittin' me. I've been around here since the 1930's and I've never seen or met anybody like that...actually never even heard of one.

Believe and be baptized to be saved. Mk.16:16.
Be baptized by water and the spirit to be saved. Jn.3:5.
Endure to the end to be saved. Mt.24:13.
Call on the name of the "Lord" to be saved. Acts 2:21; Rom.10:13.
Believe in Jesus to be saved. Acts 16:31.
Believe, then all your household will be saved. Acts 16:31.
Hope and you will be saved. Rom.8:24.
Believe in the resurrection to be saved. Rom.10:9.
By grace you are saved. Eph.2:5
By grace and faith you are saved. Eph.2:8.
Have the love of truth to be saved. 2 Thes.2:10.
Mercy saves. Titus 3:5.

Last edited:
Do agnostics think Christian prayer violates some aspect of the separation of church and state or are agnostics becoming missionaries for their own negative set of beliefs?

Ironically, since this thread started, I've had 3 very clear and obvious answers to specific things I've prayed for.

So I can most certainly testify that God hears and answers prayers. I will also say I am extremely grateful for the tender mercies the Lord has given me. My wife and child might be dead otherwise.

I know folks can't help it because of their brainwashing into the ancient god thing but prayer is totally ineffective. I know it is because of what I witnessed from my youngest memories. When I was born in 1934 the average life expectancy of a White male in the United States was 61. If someone survived their first heart attack they would mope around essentially incapcitated for a couple of years then die. Cancer was a death sentence. The only treatment was surgery and over half the time the tumor metasticised and spread all through the body and usually they lasted a year after that if they were lucky. Wednesday evening prayer meetings all over this country were crowded and prayer lists were a foot long. Every family either had a member or a close friend who was sick or dying. People prayed till their knees were bloody and the aflicted suffered and died anyway. Either the almighty supreme being didn't answer the prayers or he was AWOL from his job.

Now the average life expectency of a White male at birth is 78. Thanks to the spin offs from the moon landing in the late 60's we have sophisticated diagnostic systems, MRI, CTscans, ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy, heart catheri ation procedures, stents, bypasses, transplants, stem cell technology, chemo, radiation and limited invasive surgical procedures which produce much lower mortality statistics. The Christians think god is watching out for them. What about the millions upon millions who died or suffered unmercifully before all this technology and research came about through countless months and years of human dedication and effort..the ones who regardless of the dedication of those who prayed...suffered and died.

A few weeks ago one of my high school mates about 78 years old actually ask all of us to pray for positive results for an abdominal ultrasound and colonoscopy she had scheduled. Turned out she had indigestion.

The egotism and arrogance of those who cling to ancient god worship knows no bounds. If the creator of the universe visited us tomorrow do you really think he would meet with you

If you can't get an audience with the pope I'll be damned if I can see why you would be visited by the creator.

Oh yea, things change. Some shake and fall over with their eyes rolling up into their heads. Some speak in what they call "tongues". Some pray the President die.

It's all very strange and sometimes "entertaining". But it shouldn't be shown to children. They are too easy to indoctrinate. Wait until they are older and can decide for themselves whether or not to believe in "Noah's Ark" and a story about a man who lived in a whale.

If I pray to God to help me find my missing car keys when I'm late for an appointment, and a few minutes later I find them, how can I tell whether God intervened to help find my car keys or I just ended up finding them on my own? If God knows the future and his plan is set in stone, wouldn't that make intercessory prayer futile?

Here's a link to an interesting study on the power of prayer: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html?pagewanted=all

Who says His plans are set in stone?

A perfect, changeless being can change? Unless you have some different theology that doesn't involve God being omniscient, I don't see how his plans couldn't be set in stone. If he knows all future events, then an intervention in response to prayer that he had not already planned on would be in direct violation of his omniscience. In other words, praying for something that isn't a part of God's plan is futile. Praying for something that is a part of God's plan is pointless as well. That is of course unless your theology involves a God who is not omniscient.

sounds kinda SET to me:

Revelation 21:7

He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Luke 12:

Bullschit!!!!!!!!! I never believed that stuff for a minute. I used to look around the sanctuary on Sunday mornings after teaching the young adults Suncay school class and wonder if any of the folks in there believed it. They damned sure didn 't live a "Christ Like" life.

Walk the extra mile, turn the other cheek, do unto others, love thy neighbor, if sued in court for coat, voluntarily give cloak, pray for those who curse and despise you, take no thought for tomorrow, sell what you have and give it to the poor, be ye also perfect even as the father is perfect.

You must be schittin' me. I've been around here since the 1930's and I've never seen or met anybody like that...actually never even heard of one.

Believe and be baptized to be saved. Mk.16:16.
Be baptized by water and the spirit to be saved. Jn.3:5.
Endure to the end to be saved. Mt.24:13.
Call on the name of the "Lord" to be saved. Acts 2:21; Rom.10:13.
Believe in Jesus to be saved. Acts 16:31.
Believe, then all your household will be saved. Acts 16:31.
Hope and you will be saved. Rom.8:24.
Believe in the resurrection to be saved. Rom.10:9.
By grace you are saved. Eph.2:5
By grace and faith you are saved. Eph.2:8.
Have the love of truth to be saved. 2 Thes.2:10.
Mercy saves. Titus 3:5.

If you didn't "believe" it. Why did you stick around then? You're either crazy or stupid. Maybe even both.

Do agnostics think Christian prayer violates some aspect of the separation of church and state or are agnostics becoming missionaries for their own negative set of beliefs?

I'm an agnostic and I could care less what you believe and how you do it. It is your right to do as you please so long as you don't harm anyone else. I find the people who are overly preachy to be annoying at times so I practice my perogative and leave. Everybody's happy that way.

I have never thought that the seperation of Church and State extended to banning prayer groups from schools etc. The seperation makes plain that there shall be no STATE RELIGION. The rest is asshole behavior from a bunch of atheists.

some atheists feel they have a missionary duty. I just prefer to leave others alone as long as they leave me alone and do not need a group to beliong to.

As for seperation of church and state prayer is fine as long as it is not done whhile in an official govt capacity or forced upon the impressionalble young in school.
Each child can choose to pray silently to god at any time. I have been told he has excellent hearing of even unspoken things.

Nor do I want any religious based laws.
From ANY religion.

sounds kinda SET to me:

He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

For a supposed atheist you sure preach a lot.

No offense, but I think the first thing he would do is put duck tape over your mouth, and unplug your key board. Learn to Meditate, Commune, be in more harmony with your surroundings. You don't have to always want something when you pray. Learn to chill. Do something for Someone other than yourself, if you want to feel His Presence. Stop Judging Everything around, Neither you nor I are the center of Creation.

sounds kinda SET to me:

For a supposed atheist you sure preach a lot.

All liars? So all politicians will burn in hell forever :D

If the place is full of politicians it would really be hell.

I Kings 8:35 When heaven is shut up, and there is no rain, because they have sinned against thee; if they pray toward this place, and confess thy name, and turn from their sin, when thou afflictest them:

8:36 Then hear thou in heaven, and forgive the sin of thy servants, and of thy people Israel, that thou teach them the good way wherein they should walk, and give rain upon thy land, which thou hast given to thy people for an inheritance.

8:37 If there be in the land famine, if there be pestilence, blasting, mildew, locust, or if there be caterpillar; if their enemy besiege them in the land of their cities; whatsoever plague, whatsoever sickness there be;

8:38 What prayer and supplication soever be made by any man, or by all thy people Israel, which shall know every man the plague of his own heart, and spread forth his hands toward this house:

8:39 Then hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and do, and give to every man according to his ways, whose heart thou knowest; (for thou, even thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of men;)

The Holy Bible

Ezekiel 18:25 Yet ye say, The way of the LORD is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?

18:26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.

18:27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.

18:28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

18:29 Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the LORD is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?

18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

The Holy Bible

Forum List

Back