When Christians Pray...Does It Change Anything

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Cammmpbell, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I know folks can't help it because of their brainwashing into the ancient god thing but prayer is totally ineffective. I know it is because of what I witnessed from my youngest memories. When I was born in 1934 the average life expectancy of a White male in the United States was 61. If someone survived their first heart attack they would mope around essentially incapcitated for a couple of years then die. Cancer was a death sentence. The only treatment was surgery and over half the time the tumor metasticised and spread all through the body and usually they lasted a year after that if they were lucky. Wednesday evening prayer meetings all over this country were crowded and prayer lists were a foot long. Every family either had a member or a close friend who was sick or dying. People prayed till their knees were bloody and the aflicted suffered and died anyway. Either the almighty supreme being didn't answer the prayers or he was AWOL from his job.

Now the average life expectency of a White male at birth is 78. Thanks to the spin offs from the moon landing in the late 60's we have sophisticated diagnostic systems, MRI, CTscans, ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy, heart catheri ation procedures, stents, bypasses, transplants, stem cell technology, chemo, radiation and limited invasive surgical procedures which produce much lower mortality statistics. The Christians think god is watching out for them. What about the millions upon millions who died or suffered unmercifully before all this technology and research came about through countless months and years of human dedication and effort..the ones who regardless of the dedication of those who prayed...suffered and died.

A few weeks ago one of my high school mates about 78 years old actually ask all of us to pray for positive results for an abdominal ultrasound and colonoscopy she had scheduled. Turned out she had indigestion.

The egotism and arrogance of those who cling to ancient god worship knows no bounds. If the creator of the universe visited us tomorrow do you really think he would meet with you

If you can't get an audience with the pope I'll be damned if I can see why you would be visited by the creator.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    You're becoming very repetitive in your stupidity, you know that, right?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    the only 3 words that made sense in the entire post.....

:cuckoo:

4. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I notice you didn't point to any reference which contradicted any of my statements. 'Course thumpers don't need anything except the holly bibble.

I'm a helluva lot smarter than bible thumpers. 'Course those like me are growing in numbers as we speak. I will definitely do my part.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Perhaps because most of your gibberish doesn't require contradiction... Gibberish rarely needs rebuttal.

Still, on the bright side, you're an old person.... you'll find out for yourself whether there's a God soon enough. Have fun with that.

6. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    It's abundantly clear you do not favor Christianity.
    But, to repeat those feelings in a public forum DAILY - makes you come across as a bigger moron than you probably already are.

Get out of the trailer and get some fresh air, assbrain.

7. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Your a lost cause....
    Yes, prayer DOES change things. Prayers aren't always answered the way WE would like them to be. What we pray for may not be what is in God's plan. But He always does what is best for us. But i know i'm just wasting my breath on you.....
    I actually don't know why i respond to anything you post.

8. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,703
    The old saying "no atheists in the foxholes" is truer than you think. Agnostics stumble through life not knowing the difference between right ans wrong and lashing out at people who mean them no harm. Who do they pray to when they get in trouble? It must be a dismal existence.

9. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    LOL....I live on the lake in a 4br brick rancher or did you forget. Hell....I'm the one who's almost 78 years old. A little senility is to be expected for me but for a warrior like you, that might get you killed in combat.

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Cammpbell, I have seen no evidence that you have an open mind on this sort of subject, and much evidence that you do not. However, for the sake of others who might, and just in case you have a personality change or decide to stop fighting the same battles from your childhood until you drop dead, here's the key to understanding the power of prayer:

Probability is not fixed.

Now, think about that, and you may understand that everything you posted in the OP is irrelevant -- utterly irrelevant -- to the question of whether Christian (or other) prayer can change anything.