When all else fails....light some fires!

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
So i call the DR at 8:30 am.... I need a prescription for antibiotics for a cat bite i just received. Cat bits are dangerous and can become seriously infected.

2:30 i call for an update on my request and am told that it is processing as we spoke and i could pick it up at the pharmacy....i asked for a call when it was ready.

4:30 they call back...and say that i need an appointment. Cool..i tell her i can be there in 5 minutes to have someone look at it.

NNOOO..... they don't have anyone to see me so i must go to urgent care....

I get there and they tell me they are all booked up....and i should go to the ER

:eek::eek::eek:

OH hell NO! the last time this happened and i ended up in the ER...it was 3K for a band-aid some neosproin and a prescription...

When you want to light some fire under medical ass ...tell them you are filing a complaint with JCAHO! You can see them wince at the word!

Joint commission accreditation hospital organization.

So they see me....right away! The look at it...ask if i have cleaned the bite, do i know what to look for in terms of infection...yes yes yes. The Dr wrights me a prescription ...and that was that...

Simple. WTF was the problem???

• Banned
cat bites are dangerous and can be infected quickly....i just pour peroxide into them

Yeah i know, which is why i called right away. The window is 12 hours.

It got alcohol, peroxide, betadine and neosproine..... Even with all of that i still need to do the antibiotic protocol...

Which reminds me...i need to take the next 4.
:puke3:

Last edited:
iirc, 'urgent care centers' evolved from 'ER' in order to forgo extranious jacho constraints

So i call the DR at 8:30 am.... I need a prescription for antibiotics for a cat bite i just received. Cat bits are dangerous and can become seriously infected.

2:30 i call for an update on my request and am told that it is processing as we spoke and i could pick it up at the pharmacy....i asked for a call when it was ready.

4:30 they call back...and say that i need an appointment. Cool..i tell her i can be there in 5 minutes to have someone look at it.

I get there and they tell me they are all booked up....and i should go to the ER

OH hell NO! the last time this happened and i ended up in the ER...it was 3K for a band-aid some neosproin and a prescription...

When you want to light some fire under medical ass ...tell them you are filing a complaint with JCAHO! You can see them wince at the word!

So they see me....right away! The look at it...ask if i have cleaned the bite, do i know what to look for in terms of infection...yes yes yes. The Dr wrights me a prescription ...and that was that...

Do you have some other medical condition that can be seriously complicated by a simple infection? If no then why the antibiotics? It's not good to take antibiotics too frequently.
A good cleaning of the wound with soap and water, followed up with peroxide and a bactericide cream and bandaging should be more than enough.

• Banned
why did your cat bite you?

I foster kittens. This was a new momma with her 7 babies. She is starved for love and did not want me to leave....along with making sure i did not do anything bad to her litter. She is VERY protective of them. It was not a vicious attack bite.

• Banned

Do you have some other medical condition that can be seriously complicated by a simple infection? If no then why the antibiotics? It's not good to take antibiotics too frequently.
A good cleaning of the wound with soap and water, followed up with peroxide and a bactericide cream and bandaging should be more than enough.

Protocol for cat bites is always taking antibiotics. Cat bites are puncture wounds and cannot be thoroughly cleaned.

But yes.... i am allergic to antibiotics...so any serious infections could be very dangerous for me. This is preventive so i don't get an infection that they cant control. One of the other fosters ended up in the hospital for 8 days with complications from a bite...:eek:

Its just the risk we run for doing what we do.

Protocol for cat bites is always taking antibiotics. Cat bites are puncture wounds and cannot be thoroughly cleaned.

But yes.... i am allergic to antibiotics...so any serious infections could be very dangerous for me. This is preventive so i don't get an infection that they cant control. One of the other fosters ended up in the hospital for 8 days with complications from a bite...:eek:

Its just the risk we run for doing what we do.

I've had and dealt with cats all my life and have obviously had a few encounters. I have never taken an antibiotic for a bite or a scratch. I also refuse to take antibiotics unless the need is dire and it has nothing to do with being allergic it has everything to do with building up a resistance to antibiotics.

Forum List

Back