What's with eggs, when did they start shrinking

Im glad I have chickens. lol
What breed? I always liked Rhode Island Reds and fed them a diet high in corn to get big eggs. Got lots of double yoke eggs when I fed them almost total corn. I know they have special feeds for egg layers but I never tried it. Grew plenty of corn.
RIR, dominickers(I think. strollingbones told me they could be another breed) and some white fat hen. Cant remember her breed either.
About to get some welsummers in a few weeks. They still too young.
My RIR rooster isn't my alpha, but he is one pretty cock.

I'm also a little concerned that the Colonel Sanders on the KFC commercials is not the real Colonel Sanders. He almost seems like a different person every 3 months or so. Maybe he's eating these smaller eggs and it is affecting him. (end lame but satisfying attempt at humor).

I think everything is getting smaller isn't it? Candy bars are definitely shrinking as are ice cream containers.

Thank god we still have Lilly the ATT girl to talk to. She looks to be about the same size.

What breed? I always liked Rhode Island Reds and fed them a diet high in corn to get big eggs. Got lots of double yoke eggs when I fed them almost total corn. I know they have special feeds for egg layers but I never tried it. Grew plenty of corn.
RIR, dominickers(I think. strollingbones told me they could be another breed) and some white fat hen. Cant remember her breed either.
You will like those welsummers. They have cool personalities, but you may not be happy with the production numbers. They definitely don't produce like the Rhode Islands or Dominickers, but maybe that was just my experience.

You will like those welsummers. They have cool personalities, but you may not be happy with the production numbers. They definitely don't produce like the Rhode Islands or Dominickers, but maybe that was just my experience.
Its ok. We only want them because they are pretty lol. We only eat eggs on the weekends, so we don't need too many.

I bought some large eggs yesterday. I usually buy the extra large, but those have seemed like only large size compared to what they used to be. So, I went to make some hardboiled eggs and opened the box marked large and couldn't believe how small they were. Is the egg industry getting over on us? I raised layers a few times and I know how to produce large and extra large eggs, even eggs with double yokes. Should I contact the egg industry and tell them how to do it?

This is a large egg, an ostrich egg and no I haven't.

key-ingredient-007_magnum.jpg

Edited because I didn't put it was an ostrich egg :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

"My RIR rooster isn't my alpha, but he is one pretty cock."

Um, no comment, I'm just an innocent girl with a virgin mind, I don't know about any of these things :smoke:

I bought some large eggs yesterday. I usually buy the extra large, but those have seemed like only large size compared to what they used to be. So, I went to make some hardboiled eggs and opened the box marked large and couldn't believe how small they were. Is the egg industry getting over on us? I raised layers a few times and I know how to produce large and extra large eggs, even eggs with double yokes. Should I contact the egg industry and tell them how to do it?

I like Quail eggs.

healthy-diet-for-children-quail-eggs-cooked.jpg

You have choices, Camp. Keep ducks or chickens in your yard for fresh eggs, buy from someone who does, or look inside the container before you buy it at the grocery store.

They're ALL small at the grocery store. I think that's the point.
The size stamped on the boxes hasn't changed. The size on the eggs has.
Must be evolution, eh? Meanwhile, you want eggs, and you don't like the little ones at the store? Grow your own.

:lame2:
Lame? Wrong. Even people in cities keep chickens or ducks for eggs. Meanwhile you are moaning over SMALL EGGS AT THE STORE.

Why are you upset anyway? Noted nutrition expert michelle obama says we should eat less. Smaller eggs. Less food. Now. Let's move!
Can't we even talk about the changing size of eggs at the market without bringinG partisan politics into the discussion?
Food producers and packages have been playing with sizes for quite some time now. Instead of a pould you get 14 oz's, etc. I just didn't realize the egg people were jumping in on the bandwagon. Now I know and will adjust and adapt. My main concern was how the egg sizes relate to baking and other cooking recipes.
What are you talking about?

Hillary%20Egg%20Separator2.jpg

They're ALL small at the grocery store. I think that's the point.
The size stamped on the boxes hasn't changed. The size on the eggs has.
Must be evolution, eh? Meanwhile, you want eggs, and you don't like the little ones at the store? Grow your own.

Lame? Wrong. Even people in cities keep chickens or ducks for eggs. Meanwhile you are moaning over SMALL EGGS AT THE STORE.

Why are you upset anyway? Noted nutrition expert michelle obama says we should eat less. Smaller eggs. Less food. Now. Let's move!
Can't we even talk about the changing size of eggs at the market without bringinG partisan politics into the discussion?
Food producers and packages have been playing with sizes for quite some time now. Instead of a pould you get 14 oz's, etc. I just didn't realize the egg people were jumping in on the bandwagon. Now I know and will adjust and adapt. My main concern was how the egg sizes relate to baking and other cooking recipes.

Food & Wine forum, hack.

Food & Wine forum, hack.
You just can't take a yolk,..:itsok:

e.jpg

Food & Wine forum, hack.
You just can't take a yolk,..:itsok:

e.jpg

Omelette you have that one. Nice save.

My student said there's a MAJOR problem with Avian Flu among commercial egg producers. He said the majority of "factory" birds get wiped out in a matter of days.
How that relates to smaller eggs, I don't know, but it may have something to do with the stress on egg production at the moment. If it were me, I'd take my handy dandy kitchen scale to the market and march those puny eggs straight over to the manager, take down the address of the farm producing the eggs and raise some hell.
You'd at least get a discount, I bet.

TN, don't worry. My student said farm chickens have resistance to Avian Flu.

Lucy, I'll bet you could make a chiffon cake with ONE of those ostrich eggs

Camp: Egg Conversion Tips & Egg Size Chart | Incredible Egg

Those huge eggs are the result of line bred battery chickens raised and fed to do one thing...make big eggs. When you tell farmers they have to be kinder and give chickens more space and sunlight, chickens.lay less. When you dictate to farmers that each chicken needs x amt of space they are going to start getting smaller chickens, whonlay smaller eggs that cost you more. You're welcome.

Those huge eggs are the result of line bred battery chickens raised and fed to do one thing...make big eggs. When you tell farmers they have to be kinder and give chickens more space and sunlight, chickens.lay less. When you dictate to farmers that each chicken needs x amt of space they are going to start getting smaller chickens, whonlay smaller eggs that cost you more. You're welcome.

Yuh huh.
And this happened two weeks ago, did it?

I buy eggs from a local farmer. I suggest others should do the same, fresher and better eggs, fed organic fed, left to roam around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Organic is a scam. It just means more likely to be contaminated with ecoli and certain to cost more. BUT yes local, fresh is best.

My family goes through five dozen a month.

Forum List

Back