What's with eggs, when did they start shrinking

I buy eggs from a local farmer. I suggest others should do the same, fresher and better eggs, fed organic fed, left to roam around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've got a shop up the road that sells local produce, and closer than going all the way to town. After this thread started I stopped by to check their local eggs. Half of 'em were large like they were a few weeks ago, the other half were small like they've been recently. Completely mismatched.

Organic is a scam. It just means more likely to be contaminated with ecoli and certain to cost more. BUT yes local, fresh is best.

My family goes through five dozen a month.

Hell I do that by myself. That's two eggs a day.

Actually "organic" means not adulterated with chemical poisons and laboratory gene-tweaking. Doesn't really apply to animal products though.

I buy eggs from a local farmer. I suggest others should do the same, fresher and better eggs, fed organic fed, left to roam around.

We've got a shop up the road that sells local produce, and closer than going all the way to town. After this thread started I stopped by to check their local eggs. Half of 'em were large like they were a few weeks ago, the other half were small like they've been recently. Completely mismatched.

I get a better quality, the size seems the same, not a big deal to me.

Those huge eggs are the result of line bred battery chickens raised and fed to do one thing...make big eggs. When you tell farmers they have to be kinder and give chickens more space and sunlight, chickens.lay less. When you dictate to farmers that each chicken needs x amt of space they are going to start getting smaller chickens, whonlay smaller eggs that cost you more. You're welcome.
My student told me the chickens who lay the biggest eggs are actually very small birds. Can't remember what breed they were. Something-"Whites," I think.

Sometimes there's a green one or a pink speckled one in the local eggs I buy from a coworker who has some chickens. She saves them for me.

I bought some large eggs yesterday. I usually buy the extra large, but those have seemed like only large size compared to what they used to be. So, I went to make some hardboiled eggs and opened the box marked large and couldn't believe how small they were. Is the egg industry getting over on us? I raised layers a few times and I know how to produce large and extra large eggs, even eggs with double yokes. Should I contact the egg industry and tell them how to do it?
The egg is graded by it's yolk size, not the actual size of the shell..

Chickens will reduce the size of the egg or stop laying all together when it is really hot or really cold, the only exception is turkeys..

Sometimes there's a green one or a pink speckled one in the local eggs I buy from a coworker who has some chickens. She saves them for me.
Those are eggs from Araucana chickens, the Easter egg chickens...I like them da best..

Yellow yokes is from chickens that have a sunlight deficiency because they never are able to leave their cages and get into the sun...Orange yolks is from free range birds.....There are so many damn red tailed hawks and bald eagles around here it's tough to have free range birds...

Chickens will reduce the size of the egg or stop laying all together when it is really hot or really cold, the only exception is turkeys..
Really hot summer! Thanks, Moon!

Yeah that makes sense --- fewer eggs to package means less size choice. But shouldn't that also mean the price goes up?
Wal Mart dropped their egg prices to 78 cents a dozen, many of the Dollar General stores sells theirs for a dollar a dozen..

with eggs

open them and inspect them before

you buy them

you are just picking the wrong ones

page 9 gives the standard

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Shell_Egg_Standard[1].pdf

Yeah yeah again everyone knows that. The question here is why they suddenly got smaller.
When you check the shells you can select-out the broken ones and go for another box that aren't broken. When they're all smaller there's nothing you can do.

they havent dummy

there has always been several sizes of eggs

When they're all smaller there's nothing you can do

why are libtards like you ALWAYS so powerless over your pathetic lives

dont buy them dummy if you dont like the size

get the store to get larger size

or shop elsewhere

Really hot summer! Thanks, Moon!

Yeah that makes sense --- fewer eggs to package means less size choice. But shouldn't that also mean the price goes up?
The fact that they're selling you medium size eggs for extra large prices is enough of an increase, imo.

with eggs

open them and inspect them before

you buy them

you are just picking the wrong ones

page 9 gives the standard

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Shell_Egg_Standard[1].pdf

Yeah yeah again everyone knows that. The question here is why they suddenly got smaller.
When you check the shells you can select-out the broken ones and go for another box that aren't broken. When they're all smaller there's nothing you can do.

they havent dummy

there has always been several sizes of eggs

When they're all smaller there's nothing you can do

why are libtards like you ALWAYS so powerless over your pathetic lives

dont buy them dummy if you dont like the size

get the store to get larger size

or shop elsewhere

tissue-box-2.png

Maybe just once you could read the thread before you ooze in and embarrass yourself with these weird haiku posts.

Yellow yokes is from chickens that have a sunlight deficiency because they never are able to leave their cages and get into the sun...Orange yolks is from free range birds.....There are so many damn red tailed hawks and bald eagles around here it's tough to have free range birds...
Some people feed them marigold petals, too. Around here chickens pretty much roam free in people's yard, even though there are eagles here, too. I think the eagles have plenty else to eat without getting a mouth full of feathers, though. They love to fish.

Forum List

Back