Whats The Policy?

ErnieJackson

Rookie
Sep 1, 2008
I was just thinking to myself... I wonder what the policy is, that if... (At this point in the election process) either the Republican or the Democratic candidate was to, "heaven forbid" meet an untimely death? For what ever reason. I pray this would not happen, but just for hypothetical purposes what if it did. Who would be the candidate? If McCain was to Become ill and pass Away (lets Say for the sake of argument) in mid to late September. Does Governor Palin become the Republican Candidate and re-name a new VP. Or Obama and Biden Same Question. Or Does the party nominate a new candidate? Does anyone have any insight on this?

Surely it must be by nomination of the party. Yahoo answers says the party reconvenes and selects a new nominee.

It would be Clinton or Romney, presumably.

I doubt they go with the VP pick, but natch I could be wrong.

I believe what would happen is that each party would select whomever was second in the primaries. For McCain, that's Huckabee, and for Obama, that's Hillary.

If the candidate dies the day after elections, the VP would fill the role.

Surely it must be by nomination of the party. Yahoo answers says the party reconvenes and selects a new nominee.

It would be Clinton or Romney, presumably.

I doubt they go with the VP pick, but natch I could be wrong.

So Mitt Romney is only one heartbeat away......

I believe what would happen is that each party would select whomever was second in the primaries. For McCain, that's Huckabee, and for Obama, that's Hillary.

If the candidate dies the day after elections, the VP would fill the role.

That makes the most sense.

Let's hope it never comes to that for either person!

That makes the most sense.

Let's hope it never comes to that for either person!

True, especially McCain. I'd hate to vote for Obama, but I really, REALLY don't trust a word Huckabee says. I've seen him go back on it too many times as the governor here.

So Mitt Romney is only one heartbeat away......

Or Huckabee, if jsanders is right on that.

Don't know if it the party reconvenes or not, but Huckabee didn't major in math, he majored in miracles.

Very fast response to my question :eusa_angel:

Thank You.

It had been a question that I was wondering about for a couple days.

Im not sure if this answers the question or not. I got :cuckoo: (confused) trying to understand it. Maybe someone smarter than I am can. :D

Present System. Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 of the Constitution, as supplemented by Section 1 of the 25th Amendment, provides that the vice president becomes president in the event of the death, resignation, or removal of the president. When any of these contingencies occurs, the vice president takes the presidential oath and serves as president for the rest of the term. Section 2 of the 25th Amendment prescribes a procedure for filling a vice-presidential vacancy
Welcome to The American Presidency

Whatever the answer is .... it was a very good question. :eusa_angel:

Come to think about it .... this is about after the election, right??

Last edited:
Not to be difficult or agrumentive ... can you point us to a link where it says this? I am asking because I had not thought about it before.

Here is another link ...
AskMe: What happens if a nominee dies before taking office?

Not a problem, it's not something that happens every election. Here is a link to the DNC Rules on the subject.....

G. Filling a Vacancy on the National Ticket: In the event of death, resignation or disability of a
nominee of the Party for President or Vice President after the adjournment of the National
Convention, the National Chairperson of the Democratic National Committee shall confer with
the Democratic leadership of the United States Congress and the Democratic Governors
Association and shall report to the Democratic National Committee, which is authorized to fill the
vacancy or vacancies.

http://www.obamacrimes.com/attachments/010_2008 DNC CALL.pdf

Thank you so much, jreeves. I am getting an education today, and it is appreciated.

:thup: This thread is like a breath of fresh air .... no name calling, no mud slinging, no accusing one another on anything! :eusa_angel:

Three cheers :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: to all that have participated in this thread! :D

Thank you so much, jreeves. I am getting an education today, and it is appreciated.

:thup: This thread is like a breath of fresh air .... no name calling, no mud slinging, no accusing one another on anything! :eusa_angel:

Three cheers :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: to all that have participated in this thread! :D

See, we can all get along!

Now go make me a margarita! :eusa_clap:

We can all get along - but it took killing off the presidential nominees. Heheheheh......

Dead people can be POTUS.

That issue was solved during the second term of the Reagan administration.

Forum List

Back