whats my best bet setting up my solar panels

Discussion in 'Energy' started by vassho, Sep 18, 2010.

1. vassho

vassho Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a farm in southeastern Ohio with a small farm house not much bigger then a cabin
    I have a Variety of solar panels plus cells to make my own
    as of now I have a20, 40,70 , 85 and 125 watt panels whats my best way to set these up
    I do not think I can wire these in a series or can I?
    or do I just run each panel separate with its own battery and its own inverter
    we lose power out here if the wind blows to hard as I thought about a tie in grid inverter but if the power is out i do not think that would do me much good?

I do not run much but lights, the TV The Mac plus the water pump from the spring
    have some infrared heaters I would love to run but I think thats just asking to much with what I have
    I buy panels that the glass is cracked so I replace the glass and buying these panels save me 50% at least and I will keep adding when I find these deals, thats why my panels of are different wattage.
    I am trying to find the best way to use these I have a couple 12 volt 30 amp Charge protectors as will i need one for each panel if I have to set these up separate ?

I know its ideal to buy all the same wattage but I buy what I can afford and I do get some great deals as 125 watt I paid $75 Its brand new just glass shattered in one corner. this is a example of what I buy

Any help would be apprciated
    Thanks

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Drill a gas well and forget that solar power shit.

3. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Troll.

Who would join a political message board specifically to post this thread?

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    You guys are mean. I think the OP is a great question.

My husband has been tossing around the idea of adding solar panels to our house. Our electric bills averaged 700 bucks a month this summer and our house is not that big. He's looking for a class to attend. Some colleges offer them as part of their contractor licensing programs and he may even contact a solar power company to see if he can get some training. Its worth investigating in my opinion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. camcooh2

camcooh2 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sounds like the Unabomber.

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Just put the question out there on USMB. We're great help and loaded with knowledge. :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. vassho

vassho Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gas well sound great but has anyone ever seen what can happen when a well is Fracked before drilling if one has well water of run off a spring fracking a well creates veins that can run a river of Methane in to the water , check it out what it does look it up
    the water is no longer able to be consumed as open the faucet take a match put it by the running water and you have a liquid blow torch , and at times its to late your children are poisoned everyone that drinks the water has a life time of sickness

so what happens to us farmers then when this happens we have to buy water cant even wash cloth in it, but all is well for big oil and gas companies they do not care and sure they offer free gas , I would rather have my water
    has anyone learned from Deep Horizon

8. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    vassho, this may seem dumb but have you spoken to your electric company? Seems to me they could offer some assistance. If not, might try your elected officials staff offices...surely they can steer you towards a reliable source on solar, since there are tax credits available now. Either one should be free.

BTW, I didn't realize there was a refurbished solar panel market. May I ask, what do they run?

9. ∑₭o Đ∆Żə

∑₭o Đ∆Żə USMB: Troll Central

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm assuming that all of your pannels are around 15-volts (12V RMS), if they are and you intend to run an inverter that works off of 12V, then yes; hook up all of your cells, and all of your batteries PARALLEL, and not in series. In other words, all positive connections run together, and all negative ones too.

And for an energy-optimizing feature, get as many things you can that run off 12VDC, and eliminate the need for the inverter whenever possible.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  10. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Would you please look that up yourself and post some links and/or videos? And while you're at it, include information on fresh water contamination caused by farm chemicals. That shit ultimately gets dumped into the Gulf of Mexico by Big Ag, such as yourself.

And what do you care anyway, you're living off the government tit while pretending to be America's saving sweethearts- "why this here farm has been in our family for generations".
    "We make our living off the land". What a joke.

Years ago I approached a farmer about drilling on his ground. He asked me what he could expect to earn each year from the royalties. I did some estimates based on different scenarios and told him he could make- expense free- between $40,000 and $60,000 each year.

His response - "nah we don't need that".

I'm in the wrong fucking line of work.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010