What's most shocking about this story?

Razing them would at least be a start. Redevelopment has to be linked up. If it feeds slowly out from the 2 or 3 areas of downtown that are worth visiting it may have a chance. Isolated redeveloped pockets are impractical.

You (all) realize that if those buildings were 'razed' by the rich owner...those homeless people currently residing in their...would be truly HOMELESS again.........

If this were to happen, something tells me that the MSM and liberals would howl about that too...

Ate to many lead toy soldiers maybe.

For that 55 or over category.

Lead Exposure Harms Aging Brains, Too

Emily Sohn, Discovery News

"According to a new study, the more lead you take in throughout your life, the more steeply your brain will go downhill after age 55."

Are you really stupid enough to think that every regulation is the same?

I doubt it.

Some regulations undoubtably are unwise.

Some are absolutely essantial.

Deciding which is which, requires that we understand their purpose and the probable outcomes and costs of putting them in place.

This looks like a dumb idea, to me.

Not as dumb as allowing those items to come into this nation without first testing them, of course, (that would be a case of dumbness by NON regulation, now, isn't it?) but dumb it appears nevertheless.

Why do we care about this nonsense, anyway? I grew up in a lead-based paint house. Hell, I had toy soldiers that were not only painted in lead paint, they WERE LEAD toys!!!! Consumer protection laws are an absolute joke, the product of Ambulance chasing personal injury lawyer scum...

I wish I could be shocked by this story, but I'm not. That is a horrible neighborhood and has been for years. I don't even like driving through there in the daytime. As long as derelict property is allowed to dominate the landscape in that area, it will be impossible to police.

you should never lose your ability to be shocked by news like this. never.

we accept this shit. the owners of abandoned properties should at some point forfeit any ownership, and if it takes using the law(s) of eminent domain,....so be it.

Yawnnnn.... They go around Bombay, Calcutta, and other Indian cities and bag up all the dead people on the sidewalks every day before the rush hour..... Usually numbers a dozen or so a day....

exactly. SO you are doing the relativist dance of comparing America to fucking Bombay India?

get the fuk away fro me.

why do you hate America you swine?

That anyone would disregard human life so easily is the most shocking portion.

Millions of people die from various form of neglect every year, worldwide. It's part of the human condition. Has been since the dawn of human history and will until we go extinct. So what?
and civilized societies have been fighting it too.

"Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not." -RFK

Razing them would at least be a start. Redevelopment has to be linked up. If it feeds slowly out from the 2 or 3 areas of downtown that are worth visiting it may have a chance. Isolated redeveloped pockets are impractical.

You (all) realize that if those buildings were 'razed' by the rich owner...those homeless people currently residing in their...would be truly HOMELESS again.........

If this were to happen, something tells me that the MSM and liberals would howl about that too...
another wingnut response from the peanut gallery?

sigh

bellyman, change it to bellyacher so we can have truth in advertising please?

I think what's most shocking is that humans could find a dead body, leave it there, and continue playing hockey.

That would be my #1, out of so many wrongs................
Initially that was my first choice. It seemed so callous. But then again the guy was already dead. At least one of them was the first one to take the time to report it.

I don't know how the two guys living 20 feet from the corpse could sleep at night.

I am morbidly fascinated by this story. Who is the guy and how did he end up dying such a lonely death?

I think what's most shocking is that humans could find a dead body, leave it there, and continue playing hockey.

Initially that was my first choice. It seemed so callous. But then again the guy was already dead. At least one of them was the first one to take the time to report it.

I don't know how the two guys living 20 feet from the corpse could sleep at night.

I am morbidly fascinated by this story. Who is the guy and how did he end up dying such a lonely death?

this is your choice: "I don't know how the two guys living 20 feet from the corpse could sleep at night"???

this is your choice: "I don't know how the two guys living 20 feet from the corpse could sleep at night"???

They seemed to think that it had already been reported and also said they couldn't afford a phone call plus they didn't want the police to come and kick them out of the building. These two guys were apathetic or mentally not all there, whatever. I couldn't have played a hockey game or spent a month sleeping 20 feet from a frozen stiff.

The property owner sure has some splainin' to do also.

The details about how he died haven't come out yet. Could be a homeless guy, maybe someone mooching for scrap copper he could sell, could be a drug dealer who was offed somewhere else and dumped in an elevator shaft.

They would be truly homeless if they didn't have a derelict building? You call that a home?

The people who run the soup kitchens, the Salvation Army, the churches that provide free overnight lodging, the homeless charities, the newspapers, the emergency services, ALL have been saying for years that these places should be pulled down.

And your observe that leaving them in place will at least provide homeless people with a roof above their freezing, flooded, rat-infested hell.

Are you being disingenuous or facile? I can't believe you're serious (or that stupid).

I wish I could be shocked by this story, but I'm not. That is a horrible neighborhood and has been for years. I don't even like driving through there in the daytime. As long as derelict property is allowed to dominate the landscape in that area, it will be impossible to police.

we accept this shit. the owners of abandoned properties should at some point forfeit any ownership, and if it takes using the law(s) of eminent domain,....so be it.

Yawnnnn.... They go around Bombay, Calcutta, and other Indian cities and bag up all the dead people on the sidewalks every day before the rush hour..... Usually numbers a dozen or so a day....

Oh. Well, I guess it's OK then.

exactly. SO you are doing the relativist dance of comparing America to fucking Bombay India?

get the fuk away fro me.

Why not? We've had our bums, hobo's, whatever you call them, since George Washington's day, and we will have them 200 years from now. Why anyone is "shocked" but some homeless stiff in shaft in Detroit is beyond me. Repeat that story hundreds of time over in the US and millions of times over in world.

No one can do a damned thing about it or they would have 100 years ago, so again, who cares? I damned sure don't....

Oh. Well, I guess it's OK then.

No, it just .... IS. You can't do anything about it, I can't do anything about. No one you know, no one I know can do anything about it. It just IS. I won't lose any sleep over it....

get the fuk away fro me.

Why not? We've had our bums, hobo's, whatever you call them, since George Washington's day, and we will have them 200 years from now. Why anyone is "shocked" but some homeless stiff in shaft in Detroit is beyond me. Repeat that story hundreds of time over in the US and millions of times over in world.

No one can do a damned thing about it or they would have 100 years ago, so again, who cares? I damned sure don't....

"No one can do a damned thing about it or they would have 100 years ago, so again, who cares? I damned sure don't...." -- that's just it. you don't get it. Our genetic humanity dictates we care. I accept it as a reality. To not do so would make me a fool. But to not care...that is what separates the men from the boys.

And if it were you or somebody close...you'd care. You profess to lack empathy.

I am not buying it. You care waaaaaay too much about some things to be that fucked up. You just need to grow up or get out of your shell more often. I don't know which.

:doubt:

get the fuk away fro me.

"No one can do a damned thing about it or they would have 100 years ago, so again, who cares? I damned sure don't...." -- that's just it. you don't get it. Our genetic humanity dictates we care. I accept it as a reality. To not do so would make me a fool. But to not care...that is what separates the men from the boys.

And if it were you or somebody close...you'd care. You profess to lack empathy.

I am not buying it. You care waaaaaay too much about some things to be that fucked up. You just need to grow up or get out of your shell more often. I don't know which.

:doubt:

I care about the things I can do something about. I can do something about MY kids. I can do something about kids I coach, kids I work with at the YMCA. I can't do a damned thing about dead bums in Detroit and Bombay or Manila, so I could care less. They are somebody else's problem, not mine.

DevNell, I agree. For whatever reason, Detroit will not claim eminent domain. There are buildings in that neighborhood that have been vacant eyesores my entire life. At this point I don't even care if the area is redeveloped. I'd be fine with merely razing them.

The city doesn't have the money to do anything with the property. Nobody wants to invest in redevelopment because the entire area is such a pit. There is no tax base left in Detroit. In 1950, Detroit's population was over 1.8 million. Today it is around 900,000. Over the last 55 plus years, Detroit has lost half of its population.

Who left Detroit over the last 55 years? White people left. For many different reasons, whites left, and Blacks gradually became the majority. Today, whites only account for around 12% of Detroit's population. When Whites left, so did the money. To make matters worse, Blacks in Detroit were happy about this. Instead of trying to keep White money in Detroit, the Blacks encouraged the White flight to the suburbs. Now what is left is a huge ghetto from what was once a thriving city.

If Detroit is ever to be a thriving city again, Black leaders must promote White growth within Detroit. To do so will require razing entire areas of the city. They actually have begun to make some strides in this direction with a great deal of redevelopment in the Downtown area. From there, they must work it outward, developing or rebuilding old neighborhoods close to downtown.

It`s a third world city in what will soon be a third world country. What more could you expect?

Do European countries have these kinds of problems? If not, why not?

Forum List

Back