What's most shocking about this story?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tigerbob, Jan 29, 2009.

1. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972

This story has been in the news in Southeast Michigan today. I was listening to it on the radio, and one of the guys asked an interesting question - what part of the story is most shocking?

Is it:
    - The media for "sensationalizing" a story with a relatively graphic picture?
    - The fact that this homeless guy had been dead for as much as a month?
    - The fact that other homeless people living there had basically ignored it?
    - The fact that people playing a hockey game there saw the body and did nothing (except they went on with their game)?
    - The fact that when someone did call, they called a reporter not the police?
    - The fact that the police failed to show up until several calls had ben made?
    - The fact that 1 person in 50 in Detroit is homeless?
    - The fact that the building, like thousands of others in old Detroit, has stood derelict for years, despite being owned by a billionaire who could have paid the relatively small amount it would cost to have the building razed.

There was another point made on the radio show that the cops had not shown up because the guy was dead and there were other people who needed police help (i.e. limited resources). Maybe you find this more shocking than the other points.

One caller to the radio show made a point that people in some parts of Detroit (and, one suspects, other big cities that are decaying) are desensitized to that which most of us (I would like to think) would find impossible to just walk past. For me, this is I suppose the most shocking part - that a human life can be treated with such disinterest. At one time, 20 or 30 years ago, this corpse was someone's newborn baby, full of hopes, dreams and potential. Now all that has ended on a pool of frozen water at the foot of an elevator shaft in a derelict building - and nobody gives a shit. What a tragic epitaph, not just for the deceased, but for society, and arguably also an interesting metaphor for a city.

I'd be interested to hear what others think. BTW, within the link there are photos which some may find graphic.

Frozen in indifference: Life goes on around body found in vacant Detroit warehouse | detnews.com | The Detroit News

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    The police have scarce resources every where the result of continuosly stripping money away from the cops to create parks for junkies to hand out in. The left got everything they want in Michigan including an auto union that will kiss there butts at a a moments notice and vice versa. They have the highest minimum wage law in the Midwest as close to cradle to grave welfare as any state can have with the big three auto makers funding it via there legacy cost that will soon have them deader than dinosaurs if something isn't done, which it almost certainly won't be given that half the Dems in Washington have a Union lable tatooed to the back of there heads and if the big three go and the UAW with them, That will mean that almost all the remaining union workers are white collar governemnt workers, cops, and a few truck drivers. And The Dems can ill afford to lose the money. They already get more money from the trial lawyers lobby that is good for them.

Oh and whats most shocking is that the people of the state of Michigan continue to put up with this crap. Or maybe it's just that there is no one left up there taht really gives a good crap about much of anything anymore.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I was thinking about responding to your political points about unions, welfare and the Democrats, but (as you may have guessed from the OP if you read it) this thread was meant to be about something different.

Thanks for taking the time to make these unrelated points though. I feel richer for having read them.

4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    I think what's most shocking is that humans could find a dead body, leave it there, and continue playing hockey.

That would be my #1, out of so many wrongs................

5. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    I can't imagine trying to rank the multiple levels of shock this article illicited. Thank goodness we don't have such indifference in my neck of the woods.

6. Enigma

Enigma Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5

I think I would have to agree. I understand the kids being afraid of calling the police right away due to getting tickets, but to continue to play hockey?

I was also shocked that 1 in 50 people in Detroit are homeless. I mean I knew things were bad, but not that bad. The homeless fighting over chairs to secure a spot in the limited shelters while a billionaire hangs on to decaying properties in the city without doing anything with them is just awful.

7. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,624
    i heard it was one hell of an important game......the abandon building finals or something.....

8. Enigma

Enigma Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5

:lol:

Guess it must have been. Well hopefully they won the title in such an important event.

9. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    that is not being desensitized. far beyond it.

The who, story shows parts of Detroit and Michigan and especially those hockey players being bereft of the most basic human values.

I used to be a cold hearted fuk, but once I openly cried like a baby when I saw/found a man frozen to death near the fens gate near BU when I worked there. I cried openly because I was unable to help that poor, crazy, homeless bastard. I thought 'what is wrong with us' that we allow this type of thing in the name of personal freedoms? people who are supposedly no danger to themselves do not sleep out in the freezing cold in an inner city. inner city residents can get desensitized sure, but what does it take to push people into action or into supporting services for those less fortunate than us...a few tragedies like this? civilized society shouldn't allow these types of things in the name of freedom or anything else.

I don't have the answers for all...I only have answers for myself. I ended up volunteering my time at a few places.

sigh
    :confused:

10. Zoomie1980

Zoomie1980 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Well, they were hockey players......