What's Happening in Our Own Backyard?

Diuretic said:
It's not your turf, South America consists of sovereign nations. Your turf ends at your borders (well Puerto Rico and a few other places are part of it as well).

WHAT borders? Something happen while I was at work to change the status of the sieve we have in place along the Rio Grande?

Our "backyard" ends where WE say it does. Not a bunch of two-bit South American dictators who have suddebly decided they are somebody. They can sit down there and rattle their sabres til the screws come out an dit means NOTHING.

Last time they actually tried to ACT, the Brits handed them their asses real quick.

GunnyL said:
WHAT borders? Something happen while I was at work to change the status of the sieve we have in place along the Rio Grande?

Our "backyard" ends where WE say it does. Not a bunch of two-bit South American dictators who have suddebly decided they are somebody. They can sit down there and rattle their sabres til the screws come out an dit means NOTHING.

Last time they actually tried to ACT, the Brits handed them their asses real quick.

You know yourself that's overblown rhetoric. I can't imagine even the Bush Administration trying to annexe sovereign nations, in Central or South America. So much for that. Anyway if you have problems holding your porous southern border imagine the difficulty you'd have if you tried to annexe other nations?

As for the claims that they're 'dictators.' Like it or not they are elected. By valid election. No Diebold machines down there.

Diuretic said:
I did it again. Confused someone else.

Yeah. Yourself. There a dangerous dictator threatening America and your political blinders can't allow you to recognize it. Liberalism makes you stupid, just say no.

Diuretic said:
You know yourself that's overblown rhetoric. I can't imagine even the Bush Administration trying to annexe sovereign nations, in Central or South America. So much for that. Anyway if you have problems holding your porous southern border imagine the difficulty you'd have if you tried to annexe other nations?

As for the claims that they're 'dictators.' Like it or not they are elected. By valid election. No Diebold machines down there.

Who said anything about annexation? And no, on my part it is NOT "overblown rhetoric."

My foreign policy is simple: Screw with us and we blow you off the map. We aren't staying around to put you back together anymore, either. Fix yourself. Saves on overhead and the duration of being forced to suffer listening to liberals whine.

Hitler was elected too. Guess that makes it okay.

GunnyL said:
Who said anything about annexation? And no, on my part it is NOT "overblown rhetoric."

My foreign policy is simple: Screw with us and we blow you off the map. We aren't staying around to put you back together anymore, either. Fix yourself. Saves on overhead and the duration of being forced to suffer listening to liberals whine.

Hitler was elected too. Guess that makes it okay.

Read it again. I said "I can't imagine..." that means I don't see it happening.

Your foreign policy is simplistic, just as well you're not in charge of it.

I didn't mention Hitler. I have to invoke Godwin's Law.

Diuretic said:
Fair question. I don't think it has to be complex to be efective - it just has to be appropriate.

So why did you say it was simplistic when that's not your problem with it. Why didn't you say it was inappropriate. And BTW, how is his policy inappropriate? Or are you just talking shit again?

Diuretic said:
Fair question. I don't think it has to be complex to be efective - it just has to be appropriate.

I'll skip the insult and go for the response CSM's question, as I would have asked it anyway.

The whole problem with this Nation and its government is they have to complicate the Hell out of "boiling water."

Simplistic? Yes. And FAR more effective than YOUR Nation's current foreign policy, or mine. I like "simplistic" because there's less to screw up.

We're teh mightiest and most powerful Nation on Earth and we take shit off any-damned-body that slings it because it's run by spineless politicians.

So I guess as long as you like the bumbling, ineffective status quo that is international politics, you best be damned glad I'm not in charge.

GunnyL said:
I'll skip the insult and go for the response CSM's question, as I would have asked it anyway.

The whole problem with this Nation and its government is they have to complicate the Hell out of "boiling water."

Simplistic? Yes. And FAR more effective than YOUR Nation's current foreign policy, or mine. I like "simplistic" because there's less to screw up.

We're teh mightiest and most powerful Nation on Earth and we take shit off any-damned-body that slings it because it's run by spineless politicians.

So I guess as long as you like the bumbling, ineffective status quo that is international politics, you best be damned glad I'm not in charge.

If you thought that was an insult then you wouldn't like it if I really did try to insult you. That was a straight comment. I only give back what I get.

Yes the US is the mightiest and most powerful nation and it didn't get to that status by being stupid about its foreign policy. WW2 gave the power. The US sold its Allies materiel and demanded payment in gold. It took power at Bretton Woods in 1945 and then dominated the world's economies. Now, don't think that's anti, it's not. It was obvious to the world back then that with the Axis out of the way and the British Empire basically on its knees as a result of the War that there was a vacuum and it so happened that the US was faster than the Soviets and so occupied that vacuum. But it's coming to an end. The US is still powerful but it's in terrible debt to China and Japan, economically speaking. However it's not in the interests of either nation to bankrupt the US, that would be like shooting your foot to remove an ingrown toenail.

Instead of bluster, here or anywhere else you - I mean you - if you were in charge of foreign policy for the US would do well to heed the words of Teddy Roosevelt about speaking softly. The most powerful and effective piece of foreign diplomacy since WW2 was conducted in the UN by Adlai Stevenson during the debates over the Cuban Missile Crisis - "Don't wait for the translation!" Now there was a fine diplomat and politician who understood the meaning of "appropriate".

Diuretic said:
If you thought that was an insult then you wouldn't like it if I really did try to insult you. That was a straight comment. I only give back what I get.

Yes the US is the mightiest and most powerful nation and it didn't get to that status by being stupid about its foreign policy. WW2 gave the power. The US sold its Allies materiel and demanded payment in gold. It took power at Bretton Woods in 1945 and then dominated the world's economies. Now, don't think that's anti, it's not. It was obvious to the world back then that with the Axis out of the way and the British Empire basically on its knees as a result of the War that there was a vacuum and it so happened that the US was faster than the Soviets and so occupied that vacuum. But it's coming to an end. The US is still powerful but it's in terrible debt to China and Japan, economically speaking. However it's not in the interests of either nation to bankrupt the US, that would be like shooting your foot to remove an ingrown toenail.

Instead of bluster, here or anywhere else you - I mean you - if you were in charge of foreign policy for the US would do well to heed the words of Teddy Roosevelt about speaking softly. The most powerful and effective piece of foreign diplomacy since WW2 was conducted in the UN by Adlai Stevenson during the debates over the Cuban Missile Crisis - "Don't wait for the translation!" Now there was a fine diplomat and politician who understood the meaning of "appropriate".

So much for trying to be polite. If you want to be Mr Smartass, step right up.

You have a wussy, liberal, let's all hold hands and sing "We Are the World" opinion. How f-ing quaint. I don't. DO try to get over it.

Your little example of China and Japan is all well and good with the exception of being one-sided. There's also the fact that if they don't piss us off, we might pay up. What would it do to THEM if we cut off the cash?

I stand by my original statement, no bluster involved. Bullshit assumption from an overactive imagination on your part. It's a matter-of-fact policy that just doesn't happen to cater to your appeasing sensibilities.

Let's also try to not blow smoke up anyone's butt. I am well aware of Roosevelt's quote. I'm also well-aware that he'd put a beatdown on some two-bit dictator just as fast as I would.

Some people just don't want to sit around and kiss world opinion's ass.

GunnyL said:
So much for trying to be polite. If you want to be Mr Smartass, step right up.

You have a wussy, liberal, let's all hold hands and sing "We Are the World" opinion. How f-ing quaint. I don't. DO try to get over it.

Your little example of China and Japan is all well and good with the exception of being one-sided. There's also the fact that if they don't piss us off, we might pay up. What would it do to THEM if we cut off the cash?

I stand by my original statement, no bluster involved. Bullshit assumption from an overactive imagination on your part. It's a matter-of-fact policy that just doesn't happen to cater to your appeasing sensibilities.

Let's also try to not blow smoke up anyone's butt. I am well aware of Roosevelt's quote. I'm also well-aware that he'd put a beatdown on some two-bit dictator just as fast as I would.

Some people just don't want to sit around and kiss world opinion's ass.

You're too thin-skinned. As I said, if I wanted to insult you I would and you and everyone else reading it would be in no doubt that you had been insulted. You just haven't given me cause to do so.

Now to the substance of your post.

No, there isn't any, just a re-hash with a few tougher words thrown in for attitude.

Diuretic said:
You're too thin-skinned. As I said, if I wanted to insult you I would and you and everyone else reading it would be in no doubt that you had been insulted. You just haven't given me cause to do so.

Now to the substance of your post.

No, there isn't any, just a re-hash with a few tougher words thrown in for attitude.

I'm far from thin-skinned. I'm just not going to waste my time attempting to be polite to someone being a pompous ass acting as though they are speaking from some position of superiority.

What IS obvious, is that you think based on your assumptions that you have all the answers.

And speaking of bluster, if your insults are as good as your assumptions, you need to find the Romper Room forum where you can trade them with your peers.

GunnyL said:
I'm far from thin-skinned. I'm just not going to waste my time attempting to be polite to someone being a pompous ass acting as though they are speaking from some position of superiority.

What IS obvious, is that you think based on your assumptions that you have all the answers.

And speaking of bluster, if your insults are as good as your assumptions, you need to find the Romper Room forum where you can trade them with your peers.

An opinion is all I have. More or less informed, depending on the subject matter. And as I said before, I haven't insulted you. How many times do I have to reinforce that point. I have not yet insulted you. I may have offended you with an opinion but that's just bad luck, it happens on discussion forums.

If I insult you, as I said before, you will be in no doubt that I insulted you and I meant it to be insulting.

Personally I think it's in really bad taste to insult someone, especially in a discussion forum like this where it amounts to a display of a lack of moral courage and common courtesy, if not a display of cowardice by the insulter.

It's easy to type "putz", easy to type "acting like a cocksucker", there's no comeback so the gutless feel brave.

No Gunny, no insults intended at all. But I won't back down from expressing an opinion. Perhaps I do come across as having an attitude of superiority, it's certainly not intended so I'll think carefully about how I express myself in future.

Diuretic said:

Aye, there's the rub! Appropriate and effective are two different things and neither can be determined until after the fact. I would rather have effective than appropriate action any day. Both terms are very subjective as well. Obviously what you deem appropriate may not be the same as what I deem appropriate...depends on our experience and perspective.

CSM said:
Aye, there's the rub! Appropriate and effective are two different things and neither can be determined until after the fact. I would rather have effective than appropriate action any day. Both terms are very subjective as well. Obviously what you deem appropriate may not be the same as what I deem appropriate...depends on our experience and perspective.

Well put. Food for thought for me there indeed.

Diuretic said:
An opinion is all I have. More or less informed, depending on the subject matter. And as I said before, I haven't insulted you. How many times do I have to reinforce that point. I have not yet insulted you. I may have offended you with an opinion but that's just bad luck, it happens on discussion forums.

If I insult you, as I said before, you will be in no doubt that I insulted you and I meant it to be insulting.

Personally I think it's in really bad taste to insult someone, especially in a discussion forum like this where it amounts to a display of a lack of moral courage and common courtesy, if not a display of cowardice by the insulter.

It's easy to type "putz", easy to type "acting like a cocksucker", there's no comeback so the gutless feel brave.

No Gunny, no insults intended at all. But I won't back down from expressing an opinion. Perhaps I do come across as having an attitude of superiority, it's certainly not intended so I'll think carefully about how I express myself in future.

I can tell you are going to require some work. :laugh:

CSM said:

Well said. I knew we kept you Sergeants Major around for something besides explaining in great length what-all we were doing incorrectly. :laugh:

Forum List

Back