What's Happening in Our Own Backyard?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, May 8, 2006.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    We'd Better Heed Our Own Backyard
    By James P. Pinkerton, Newsday
    May 4, 2006

For the United States, the second most important foreign policy developments are occurring in South America. Maybe soon, the most important.

The news from Bolivia - a country that is nationalizing, or, if you prefer, stealing, foreign-owned assets - is just the latest in a string of anti-capitalist, anti-American developments in South America. In recent years, Venezuela, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Chile have all elected left-leaning governments, determined to reverse "globalization" and thwart American influence. And similar governments are likely to win soon in Peru and Mexico.

In particular, the oil-empowered Venezuelan leader Hugo Chávez, an avowed fan of Cuba's Fidel Castro, is emerging as a genuine U.S. enemy. Americans, of course, have been mostly preoccupied with the Middle East, but the problems to our south - trade, energy, immigration, narcotics trafficking - are likely to worsen as North-South cooperation worsens.

And one of these days a Latin country will emerge as a serious military power, thus ending America's fortuitous two-century-long monopoly of force in this hemisphere.

for full article:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion...0,5808516.column?coll=ny-viewpoints-headlines

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Democracy's a bitch :D

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Pure speculation on my part but I think that most of those South American countries that are headed for despotism will eventually fail. The problem with countries with "high demand" resources (like oil) is that their economies are vulnerable. Without a great degree of diversification, they are at the mercy of the global community.

4. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I don't get the connection. I agree with your point that any economy with its eggs in one basket is facing potential problems, but I don't get where that connects with the first part of your post.

5. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I hope your speculation turns out to be correct, but I fear there is much more going on in South America than just an issue over oil.

6. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Don't underestimate oil, that's how Chavez is financing the policies.

This whole South America thing is a big screw up on Bush's part. If we can't even keep the peace on our own turf, then we're screwed.

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    It's not your turf, South America consists of sovereign nations. Your turf ends at your borders (well Puerto Rico and a few other places are part of it as well).

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hmmm... how about our realm of influence? Or dominion? Keeping South America loyal and prosperous is important to our nation and the world.

9. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Of course it is. This current worry about South America will pass as reality sets in in the various countries there.

Lula is no threat, he's got a few internal worries of his own but he's not going to turn Brazil into a pariah state any day soon. Same goes for Morales in Bolivia. He isn't the bogeyman that some think. No point in pissing off the multinationals if you haven't got the infrastructure to get your natural resources to market. May as well be pissing in the wind if he thinks he can boot them out.

Chavez, well Chavez is giving Bush the finger. He's not all that diplomatic and he doesn't give a rat's arse about it (although I think for a head of state he is pretty bloody rude at times, no call for that). He'll get over it and settle down to running his country in the real world.

Countries are only loyal to each other if there's something in it for them. Foreign policy is about mutual self-interest.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually, our Southern border at the present time does not seem to be fixed. Question is, will Mexico move south or north? I guess our armies will decide?