what would you do?

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
My oldest son has high functioning autism. He completed a two year degree at DeVry University with honors. It's been months and he still can't find a job. I've stopped charging room and board so he can use that money to pay off his student loans. The problem? It's money for his disability and is not suppose to be used to pay off student loans, it's suppose to be used for his living expenses. I'm not good at lying in fact I'm lousy at it but I feel an obligation to get those loans paid off. What if he never gets a job? The truth is that they can't legally come after his disability for those loans but that doesn't negate his responsibility to pay them off. Since he's my son, I feel that responsibility as well, my parents paid for most of my college.

Anyway, what would you do? Use his disability to pay off those loans, or let them wait until or if he gets a job?

Assuming the training program he completed doesn’t have a placement service, I’d recommend he go to your local Workforce Board Monday, get him work-registered and with a career manager who will provide him job referrals. He’s likely entitled to priority of service and as an SSI recipient a prospective employer might realize a tax break for hiring him. It’s just a matter of getting him in touch with hiring employers.

He also might be eligible for an on the job training placement as well as placement services through the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).

It’s the Regional Workforce Board’s responsibility to find him a job, particularly if he’s eligible for SSA disability and now ready to go to work.

Wait until he gets a job with big enough salary to repay loan without causing himself/family hardship.

My oldest son has high functioning autism. He completed a two year degree at DeVry University with honors. It's been months and he still can't find a job. I've stopped charging room and board so he can use that money to pay off his student loans. The problem? It's money for his disability and is not suppose to be used to pay off student loans, it's suppose to be used for his living expenses. I'm not good at lying in fact I'm lousy at it but I feel an obligation to get those loans paid off. What if he never gets a job? The truth is that they can't legally come after his disability for those loans but that doesn't negate his responsibility to pay them off. Since he's my son, I feel that responsibility as well, my parents paid for most of my college.

Anyway, what would you do? Use his disability to pay off those loans, or let them wait until or if he gets a job?

Do YOU need the money to keep your household afloat?

If not, then paying back the loans seems like the wisest move since the interest on those loans keeps mounting up.

If you're truly motivated to make your son pay for his education, then make him pay you back (san the interest) when he finds a job.

A lot of student loans never get repaid.

Last edited:
realize that no one is gonna fold if you dont assume the student loans.....

now the question is....is it gonna put your family in a hardship?

Are his student loans gov't loans or private loans? If gov't you may be able to defer them up to 5 years if you can't find employment. Call them and ask.

Or, you pay the monthly loan amount then charge him that amount as room and board. Personally I'd do this to get those loans paid off asap.

Are his student loans gov't loans or private loans? If gov't you may be able to defer them up to 5 years if you can't find employment. Call them and ask.

Or, you pay the monthly loan amount then charge him that amount as room and board. Personally I'd do this to get those loans paid off asap.

why ...its not her loan...its her sons loan

He doesn't have a disability..... I have AS myself....

Is it a problem? yes, disability? no....

AS is no more of a disability than being short or fat - especially when it gets you a degree.

Believe it or not, despite the shit I talk here I have a difficult time relating to people on a basic social level when I have nothing in common with that particular individual. I'm not one for small talk.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with individuals who have AS face - their inability to talk about basic "normal shit."

IMO, I don't know your son but I know AS and it is really difficult to come off as a "people person" when you have AS, and given the job shortage many companies are looking for "people persons." The company will take the less intelligent people person over the more intelligent initially awkward AS individual any day of the week.

To get a job these days you really need to be an actor and that just something individuals with AS cant do. Blunt, firm, direct, articulate etc yes... Finesse NO..

I think you will just have to wait until he gets a job...

Last edited:
Believe it or not, despite the shit I talk here I have a difficult time relating to people on a basic social level when I have nothing in common with that particular individual. I'm not one for small talk.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with individuals who have AS face - their inability to talk about basic "normal shit."
I think you just described most of the people on this board! :lol:

He can ask for a deferment, I have received two. With him having a disability it should be now problem. It doesn't go against your credit, and they do not charge interest.
The last one I got was good for a year. If you call Ford Direct Loans, if that is who he got it through they are very much willing to work with you.

Payoff the loans

his credit score will thank you for the next 10 years.

and maybe encourage him to take anything for now. waiter, cook, temp work, etc.. Employers are more likely to hire someone with a job

I think you just described most of the people on this board! :lol:

I suppose you have a point there. :lol:

So how's the weather? :lol:

why ...its not her loan...its her sons loan

He would be paying the loan off, Sheila would just 'front' the money and he'd pay her that amount for living expenses, since they (disability) don't want that money to be used for payback of loans. Just a way to get around that loan restriction.

Make an appointment with him with an SSI person down at Social Security. They have no doubt faced this sort of problem before. They might not have the answer you want to hear but they will most likely have the correct answer.

I swear mild autism is the 21st centuries version of ADHD/ADD...

Instead of prescribing meth they will just tell you your kid is "special."

Ask the doctors why they don't prescribe meth anymore.... hahahhaa

He doesn't have a disability..... I have AS myself....

Is it a problem? yes, disability? no....

AS is no more of a disability than being short or fat - especially when it gets you a degree.

IMO, I don't know your son but I know AS and it is really difficult to come off as a "people person" when you have AS, and given the job shortage many companies are looking for "people persons." The company will take the less intelligent people person over the more intelligent initially awkward AS individual any day of the week.

To get a job these days you really need to be an actor and that just something individuals with AS cant do. Blunt, firm, direct, articulate etc yes... Finesse NO..

I think you will just have to wait until he gets a job...

AS is a spectrum disorder and how it is for you is likely different than how it is for her son. You can't "one size it" for everyone.

My son is AS as well, high functioning. Guaranteed his degree of autism is more disabling than yours.

Forum List

Back