what would you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Againsheila, May 13, 2012.

1. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    My oldest son has high functioning autism. He completed a two year degree at DeVry University with honors. It's been months and he still can't find a job. I've stopped charging room and board so he can use that money to pay off his student loans. The problem? It's money for his disability and is not suppose to be used to pay off student loans, it's suppose to be used for his living expenses. I'm not good at lying in fact I'm lousy at it but I feel an obligation to get those loans paid off. What if he never gets a job? The truth is that they can't legally come after his disability for those loans but that doesn't negate his responsibility to pay them off. Since he's my son, I feel that responsibility as well, my parents paid for most of my college.

Anyway, what would you do? Use his disability to pay off those loans, or let them wait until or if he gets a job?

2. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Assuming the training program he completed doesn’t have a placement service, I’d recommend he go to your local Workforce Board Monday, get him work-registered and with a career manager who will provide him job referrals. He’s likely entitled to priority of service and as an SSI recipient a prospective employer might realize a tax break for hiring him. It’s just a matter of getting him in touch with hiring employers.

He also might be eligible for an on the job training placement as well as placement services through the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).

It’s the Regional Workforce Board’s responsibility to find him a job, particularly if he’s eligible for SSA disability and now ready to go to work.

3. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Wait until he gets a job with big enough salary to repay loan without causing himself/family hardship.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Do YOU need the money to keep your household afloat?

If not, then paying back the loans seems like the wisest move since the interest on those loans keeps mounting up.

If you're truly motivated to make your son pay for his education, then make him pay you back (san the interest) when he finds a job.

5. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    A lot of student loans never get repaid.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    realize that no one is gonna fold if you dont assume the student loans.....

now the question is....is it gonna put your family in a hardship?

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    Are his student loans gov't loans or private loans? If gov't you may be able to defer them up to 5 years if you can't find employment. Call them and ask.

Or, you pay the monthly loan amount then charge him that amount as room and board. Personally I'd do this to get those loans paid off asap.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    why ...its not her loan...its her sons loan

9. Mr.Nick

Mr.Nick VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +682
    He doesn't have a disability..... I have AS myself....

Is it a problem? yes, disability? no....

AS is no more of a disability than being short or fat - especially when it gets you a degree.

Believe it or not, despite the shit I talk here I have a difficult time relating to people on a basic social level when I have nothing in common with that particular individual. I'm not one for small talk.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with individuals who have AS face - their inability to talk about basic "normal shit."

IMO, I don't know your son but I know AS and it is really difficult to come off as a "people person" when you have AS, and given the job shortage many companies are looking for "people persons." The company will take the less intelligent people person over the more intelligent initially awkward AS individual any day of the week.

To get a job these days you really need to be an actor and that just something individuals with AS cant do. Blunt, firm, direct, articulate etc yes... Finesse NO..

I think you will just have to wait until he gets a job...

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  10. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    I think you just described most of the people on this board! :lol: