What would we see at the speed of light?

This will cause your whistle to come a running all rootin and tootin.
Time is not relative to speed of anything. Time is a function of motion.
Time contraction and dilation arise from acceleration to a fraction of the speed of light, compared to the rest frame.

Ok… now then…if you could travel at the speed of light…for a year…what would life be like?
It would not exist. It would be like being dead. Or like it was for you before you were born. You wouldn't experience anything at all.

If science actually interests you, this can reach you, but not at the speed of light.
This video examines what will happen as the spacecraft you are in gets closer and closer to reaching the speed of light. Experts in this field are welcome to explain more.
NOTHING - since the mental reaction time would be too short to visualize the impact/crash into a planet, asteroid or any other space object.

Unfortunately for such a declaration, we have already measured time contraction and dilation.
On paper you mean. But merely being on paper does not mean it is proven. Time on Earth is a function of the motion of Earth relative to the movement of the Sun over a fixed place in space. You can express time as distance if you really want to.

NOTHING - since the mental reaction time would be too short to visualize the impact/crash into a planet, asteroid or any other space object.
Not strictly ccorrect.

There is no time at all. Yes, it's true that you can't perceive things that occur faster than your braun network can process them.

Like, hitting a brick wall at 300 mph. You would not feel a thing, because it happens faster than your brain can process it.

It's why boxers never remember the punch that knocked them unconscious. They wake up wondering what happened

But we are talking NO time, not "very short amount of time", when moving at the speed of light.

It would not exist. It would be like being dead. Or like it was for you before you were born. You wouldn't experience anything at all.

Ok, so the more you accelerated toward the speed of light, the more dead you’d be? So if you could move at 80% the speed of light, how would you be affected?

On paper you mean. But merely being on paper does not mean it is proven. Time on Earth is a function of the motion of Earth relative to the movement of the Sun over a fixed place in space. You can express time as distance if you really want to.
But if the earth stopped moving…time would continue would it not? I mean, it would be a disaster but, it wouldn’t stop time, right?

Ok, so the more you accelerated toward the speed of light, the more dead you’d be?
You wouldn't be much affected. Your mass would increase, but if no gravity, you wouldn't feel it. Eventually your mass would increase so much before reaching the speed of light, you would collapse into a tiny black hole which would quickly evaporate via hawking radiation. I think.

But if the earth stopped moving…time would continue would it not? I mean, it would be a disaster but, it wouldn’t stop time, right?
Time is not a thing. Frankly I do not buy the notion that time is a special thing or object or solid in any fashion. I am aware that a good many do not agree.
For those on earth, when the planet quit moving, they would notice day remains day and night remains night. They no doubt would come up with a way to set their watches. Since movement has stopped, they would use other moving bodies is what I believe. Even the movements of tiny atoms can be used then. I see where you are angling and let me pause to think more on your idea. We could use a different celestial body after thinking this over a bit.

Ok, so the more you accelerated toward the speed of light, the more dead you’d be? So if you could move at 80% the speed of light, how would you be affected?
Please do not get confused. Nobody on this planet actually knows what would happen when a body accelerates to the speed of light. Einstein for example did not believe one can get near the speed of light.

Nobody on this planet actually knows what would happen when a body accelerates to the speed of light.
We indeed do know.

Einstein believed we could not get near the speed of light because he knew what would happen, if we tried. So you have a bit of a self-contradiction to work out, there.

We indeed do know.

Einstein believed we could not get near the speed of light because he knew what would happen, if we tried. So you have a bit of a self-contradiction to work out, there.
I want to study the proof you believe you have to verify your claims.

Robert W

An excellent video. Fantastic.

In your lifetime in only 28 years you would be able to reach the Andromeda galaxy (~2.5 million lightyears) ... in an Einstein-Universe (maximum speed is lightspeed) ... in a Newton universe it would be 28 thousand years (when no highest speed is existing). Astonishing, isn't it? The nearer and nearer you will come to the maximal signal- and effectspeed the shorter and shorter become the distances and the shorter and shorter become the times. ... But even with a matter-antimatter energy source ... it exists everywhere in the universe a problem: The rest of the begin of the universe. In every cm^3 of the universe are 400 photons of the background radiation. This is in high speed near the light speed like a big wall which is 360° all around us. The higher our speed will be the higher will be the energy of this background radiation and will make Kentucky fried chicken out of us.

Last edited:
What would we see at the speed of light?

Nothing. Objects with mass cannot ever reach the speed of light. If an object ever did reach the speed of light, its mass would become infinite. And as a result, the energy required to move the object would also become infinite: an impossibility.

Forum List

Back