What would happen if a president REFUSED to sign or veto a bill on his desk?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
We see all to often bill's languish forever in the Senate and it got me to wonder what would happen if a president essentially "tabled" a bill?

Has it ever happened ?

We see all to often bill's languish forever in the Senate and it got me to wonder what would happen if a president essentially "tabled" a bill?

Has it ever happened ?
/—-/ If the President refused to sign or veto, its called a pocket veto.
pocket veto

• n.
    The indirect veto of a bill received by the President within ten days of the adjournment of Congress, effected by retaining the bill unsigned until Congress adjourns.
  • n.
    A similar action exercised by a state governor or other chief executive.

• Banned

Has it ever happened ?

How A Bill Becomes A Law | U.S. Representative Alan Lowenthal

THE PRESIDENT

The bill is sent to the President for review.
  • A bill becomes law if signed by the President or if not signed within 10 days and Congress is in session.
That makes sense. Dunno if I was taught that in school. I certainly don't remember it.

Has it ever happened ?

THE PRESIDENT

• A bill becomes law if signed by the President or if not signed within 10 days and Congress is in session.
That makes sense. Dunno if I was taught that in school. I certainly don't remember it.
/——/ Back in the 1960s we were taught that in Civics class.

Has it ever happened ?

THE PRESIDENT

I remember civics pretty clearly just not that bit of info. May have been glossed over.

Has it ever happened ?

THE PRESIDENT

Not where I was. I find this very interesting. But in actuality, it is just delaying the signing or vetoing until Congress meets again, right?

The other aspect of a signed veto is the president has to include why he is vetoing and what changes would make the bill acceptable, which invites a Christmas tree bill.

The other aspect of a signed veto is the president has to include why he is vetoing and what changes would make the bill acceptable, which invites a Christmas tree bill.
Okay, I'll bite. What is a Christmas Tree Bill? Love this thread. Learning a lot. Thank you!

Okay, I'll bite. What is a Christmas Tree Bill? Love this thread. Learning a lot. Thank you!

The changes are added to get the bill passed and then little and not so little presents for the districts and states are tacked on to get the necessary votes. That is a Christmas tree bill.

The changes are added to get the bill passed and then little and not so little presents for the districts and states are tacked on to get the necessary votes. That is a Christmas tree bill.
So, in essence, it's changes to the bill plus bribes for individual states.

What do you think Trump will do? Just leave it as a veto and dems take to the SCOTUS on grounds of unconstitutional reasons?

So, in essence, it's changes to the bill plus bribes for individual states.

What do you think Trump will do? Just leave it as a veto and dems take to the SCOTUS on grounds of unconstitutional reasons?

Who knows, but with the college entrance scandal the Ds have big problems with their donors. This is going to be interesting.

Forum List

Back