CDZ What would American Culture Be Without Black People?

Status
Not open for further replies.
h huh. Did you also know that Europeans had iron and steel tools? So it's almost just like they invented the Ford F-150......in a very basic way.

The materials and tools available are important factors in what an artist can do.

Do you know why the Ancient Egyptians were so big on bas reliefs? Because the crappy stone they had was to weak to support free standing statues.

Left in African, African musicians would never have learned to play the sax. Because they would not have had that sax.
Since Africans were the first to make carbonized steel they were more than capable of making a sax or trombone. Those same Egyptians built the still standing pyramids. An engineering feat no one has been able to duplicate. Statues? :laugh:

That's all very interesting, but once again, we're talking about American culture.
Black contributions to American culture are rooted in Africa.

Some are

The food is distinctly American. Music has influences from both
I disagree. I cant think of one thing not rooted in Africa.

h huh. Did you also know that Europeans had iron and steel tools? So it's almost just like they invented the Ford F-150......in a very basic way.

The materials and tools available are important factors in what an artist can do.

Do you know why the Ancient Egyptians were so big on bas reliefs? Because the crappy stone they had was to weak to support free standing statues.

Left in African, African musicians would never have learned to play the sax. Because they would not have had that sax.
Since Africans were the first to make carbonized steel they were more than capable of making a sax or trombone. Those same Egyptians built the still standing pyramids. An engineering feat no one has been able to duplicate. Statues? :laugh:

That's all very interesting, but once again, we're talking about American culture.
Black contributions to American culture are rooted in Africa.

Yes they are, but if you would notice, this thread is about American culture and the historic role of African Americans in creating that culture.

IF that is what this thread is about, then discussing African culture is part of that.

You mean instruments like the banjo?

I was thinking more like the saxophone and the trombone.

These instruments came from classic music and were used to make jazz music.

This is, in a very basic way, European influence on Jazz.

As I said.

What ever point you think you're making, you haven't made it.

This topic is a stretch for me, I am not well versed in music.

But the idea that black culture is the only part of American culture that is vibrant and good?

That's absolute nonsense.
that was not the Idea..The question was what would it be with out that influence and the answer is much less rich

The influence of Blacks into American culture would have roots in the cultures they brought with them from Africa.

They were not blank slates when they came off the boats.

You've failed to make the connection between musical instruments and music. Africans brought rhythm and beat with them, it didn't just occur to them after seeing an oboe or a violin.

You don't see a connection between musical instruments and music?

Really?

Europeans didn't have rhythm before Africans? Or beat? Can you support that claim?
Like you said already, you really don't know enough about music to comment.

I'm doing ok despite that.

Please support your claim that Europeans did not have rhythm or beat before being exposed to African music.

I was thinking more like the saxophone and the trombone.

These instruments came from classic music and were used to make jazz music.

This is, in a very basic way, European influence on Jazz.

As I said.

What ever point you think you're making, you haven't made it.

This topic is a stretch for me, I am not well versed in music.

But the idea that black culture is the only part of American culture that is vibrant and good?

That's absolute nonsense.
that was not the Idea..The question was what would it be with out that influence and the answer is much less rich

Nope. The OP stated "lifeless, colorless". It did not claim just "less rich".

If you think that a black free American culture could still be vibrant and good, if just less rich, than you are on my "side" in this debate.

Get to work, ally.:beer:

The influence of Blacks into American culture would have roots in the cultures they brought with them from Africa.

You've failed to make the connection between musical instruments and music. Africans brought rhythm and beat with them, it didn't just occur to them after seeing an oboe or a violin.

Really?

Europeans didn't have rhythm before Africans? Or beat? Can you support that claim?

Please support your claim that Europeans did not have rhythm or beat before being exposed to African music.

Really?

A great movie. NOt what I would call a valid source of historical data.

Really?

Despite what are apparently your best efforts, you haven't succeeded in minimizing or trivializing African American contributions to American culture.

Really?

Despite what are apparently your best efforts, you haven't succeeded in minimizing or trivializing African American contributions to American culture.

Good. For I have no intentions of minimizing or trivializing Black contributions to American culture.

It is you who is trying to exaggerate their contributions to the point that without them, American culture would be "lifeless, colorless".

I'm still waiting for you to support your claim that Europeans didn't have rhythm or beat before African influence.

Really?

Good. For I have no intentions of minimizing or trivializing Black contributions to American culture.

It is you who is trying to exaggerate their contributions to the point that without them, American culture would be "lifeless, colorless".

I'm still waiting for you to support your claim that Europeans didn't have rhythm or beat before African influence.
Proof was already submitted. Your refusal to consider it remains your problem.

Really?

Really? All I have seen is unsupported assertions.

Please tell me again.

Please tell me again.
Tell you what? That Europeans have no rhythm? Its pretty apparent that rhythm is not something europeans excel at.

Please tell me again.
Tell you what? That Europeans have no rhythm? Its pretty apparent that rhythm is not something europeans excel at.

See, just saying that is not supporting it, it is certainly not proof.

Do you have anything to back it up? Other than saying it over and over again?

What would America be without black culture? Pretty much crime free

Please tell me again.

See, just saying that is not supporting it, it is certainly not proof.

Do you have anything to back it up? Other than saying it over and over again?
Actually it is proof. Telling me its not doesnt negate that. I dont need anything to back up truth.

Really?

Why don't you feel free to tell me all about the European rhythms and beats that have influenced American music. Your argument needs a premise.

Imagine half as many murders, rapes and other violent crimes. Then Imagine a culture that respects education alot more then it currently does.

America would be a great country to live in.

But who would angry white guys hate then? They have to hate somebody.

Hispanics?
Sure, why not? That's an important aspect of American cultural formation as well, white folks on top. Traditionally it's been Northern and Western Protestant Europeans first, Southern Europeans, Catholics, and Jews come second, Hispanics and Asians are next, then on the lowest tier we have always had black folks. And it doesn't matter that their ancestors may have come here in the 17th century, because this country was founded on African Americans being held in last place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back