What Will Happen to the Post Office

Of all of the governmental programs the GOP has in it's sight to cut, one of the most interesting ones will be the Post Office. We haven't heard the GOP speak much about it lately during their "repackaging" initiative. Given the employment demographic of the USPS and the fact that they are unionized which is always a target for the GOP.

What is the over/under on when a postal reform will be brought up? I believe this is one area where Obama will potentially cave dependent on how much of a fight he wants to pick with Congress.

[/QUOTECongress is the author of its problems

Congress is preventing reform. A Post Office in every small town isnt necessary or profitable. COngress mandates this archaic business model

A post office in every small town is necessary if you live in one of those small towns. If it were done right, we'd be able to do all sorts of things at a post office. Banking......voting.....paying taxes......etc.

FEDEX manages to deliver to virtually every town in this country.

Again - bullshit. They claim to but they don't show up. And they're completely unaccountable for that.

Bullshit. I've never had a problem with them. Never.

Well guess what jelly face -- the whole fucking world doesn't work the same way for everybody else as it does for Numero Uno. Grow up.

I'm trying to figure out what world some people live in.

I ship items that fit into one of the priority mail boxes that the post office provides free of charge. The smallest one costs me $5.80 and can hold several hundred dollars worth of my product. It arrives in 2-4 days. The same delivery using UPS would cost me twice that. I pack 50lbs worth of tools into one of the medium boxes. It costs me $17 to ship anywhere in the US. The same box using UPS would be three times that.

It's a great deal.

I'm trying to figure out what world some people live in.

I ship items that fit into one of the priority mail boxes that the post office provides free of charge. The smallest one costs me $5.80 and can hold several hundred dollars worth of my product. It arrives in 2-4 days. The same delivery using UPS would cost me twice that. I pack 50lbs worth of tools into one of the medium boxes. It costs me $17 to ship anywhere in the US. The same box using UPS would be three times that.

It's a great deal.

That's exactly what I do, and exactly why I do it. And for a bonus you put your stuff in the hands of carriers who are out there every day, whether they're carrying my stuff or not, and for that reason know where they're going.

And again --- try using the postal system of any other country in the world, literally any one including Canada -- and you'll see what a deal we have.

That's exactly what I do, and exactly why I do it. And for a bonus you put your stuff in the hands of carriers who are out there every day, whether they're carrying my stuff or not, and for that reason know where they're going.

And again --- try using the postal system of any other country in the world, literally any one including Canada -- and you'll see what a deal we have.

I got to admit, you say some funny stuff. Thanks for the smile.

Myth 1: The USPS' losses show that it's not a viable business
In the last decade or so, the USPS has been dogged by two significant changes. The most obvious is the advent of email, which has hurt postal volumes, especially first-class mail. That's a secular change that's not going away, and all the better for the many benefits it provides (spam notwithstanding).

The other change is political and imposes un-needed stress. In 2006, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, forcing USPS to pre-fund the present value of 75 years of its pension and health-benefit fund in 10 years -- about $5.5 billion annually for a business mandated to break even.

Listen only to the recent headlines and you might think the USPS is about to drop off the face of the earth. After all, officially it spurted red to the tune of $15.9 billion in 2012. Look closer.

Exactly $11.1 billion of that loss was due to the pre-funding mandate and half of that ($5.5 billion) was deferred from 2011 when the USPS defaulted on its payment in order to fund operations. Below are the official numbers and my adjusted figures accounting for Congress's mandate. How the Postal Service Is Being Gutted No other business operates this way and the the President and Congress keep trying to steal this money

Of all of the governmental programs the GOP has in it's sight to cut, one of the most interesting ones will be the Post Office. We haven't heard the GOP speak much about it lately during their "repackaging" initiative. Given the employment demographic of the USPS and the fact that they are unionized which is always a target for the GOP.

What is the over/under on when a postal reform will be brought up? I believe this is one area where Obama will potentially cave dependent on how much of a fight he wants to pick with Congress.
Didn't he just appoint the first female Postmaster General?

I have some suggestions.

1. Charge $5.00 minimum for anything addressed to OCCUPANT.

2. Charge $5.00 minimum for any political ad.

3. Charge $5.00 minimum for any flyers for businesses.

Also, since the bulk of my mail these days is bullshit from Medicare, make them get their shit together.

But mainly, eliminate unsolicited mail by high fees, and leave the postal service to those of us who pay bills by mail and send cards and write letters.

Of course, if the USPS was no longer subsidized and subsidizing, and concentrated on meeting the needs of people, and not politicians and businesses, probably 80% of the overpaid union workers would have to be laid off.

Junk mail is where most of their revenue comes from.

I try to. But the above isn't one of them.
I speak from experience.

But hey, by all means enlighten us. Where in the world can you mail stuff faster/cheaper than here?

As long as we have hacks like Federal Express fucking up the simple act of package delivery, the USPS will remain the go-to system. I send and receive packages pretty regularly here in the sticks and I'd say 75% of incoming and 100% of outgoing is via the Post Office, which make no mistake is unquestionably the best in the world.

How does FEDEX fuck up package delivery? Privatizing the Post Office would lead to lower prices and faster, more reliable delivery - also less junkmail.

Bullshit. Try the post office in any other country and get back to me on how "expensive" ours is. And when they track something, it's pretty much balls-on accurate.

Horseshit. USPS tracking is dreadful...mostly because packages simply ARE NOT SCANNED properly. Last FedEx package I got, I got tracking updates texted to me in real time!

FeEx is a complete hack operation. Don't use them, ever. Even UPS doesn't fuck up that bad, and when UPS is outperforming you, you got a problem.

Stupid statement.

I speak from experience.

Yes it is funny, no one else does their job everyday and knows what they are doing.

Down right amusing, thanks again.

Congress is preventing reform. A Post Office in every small town isnt necessary or profitable. COngress mandates this archaic business model

A post office in every small town is necessary if you live in one of those small towns. If it were done right, we'd be able to do all sorts of things at a post office. Banking......voting.....paying taxes......etc.

Again - bullshit. They claim to but they don't show up. And they're completely unaccountable for that.

Ever think that maybe the driver has met you...and just knows what an asshole you are?

Ever think that maybe the driver has met you...and just knows what an asshole you are?

Funny how great the union postal worker is and how bad the union FedEx and UPS workers are. Of course the FedEx and the UPS don't do their job everyday and they don't know what they are doing like the USPS carriers do. LOL!

As long as we have hacks like Federal Express fucking up the simple act of package delivery, the USPS will remain the go-to system. I send and receive packages pretty regularly here in the sticks and I'd say 75% of incoming and 100% of outgoing is via the Post Office, which make no mistake is unquestionably the best in the world.

How does FEDEX fuck up package delivery? Privatizing the Post Office would lead to lower prices and faster, more reliable delivery - also less junkmail.

Bullshit. Try the post office in any other country and get back to me on how "expensive" ours is. And when they track something, it's pretty much balls-on accurate.

Horseshit. USPS tracking is dreadful...mostly because packages simply ARE NOT SCANNED properly. Last FedEx package I got, I got tracking updates texted to me in real time!

FeEx is a complete hack operation. Don't use them, ever. Even UPS doesn't fuck up that bad, and when UPS is outperforming you, you got a problem.

Stupid statement.

Google "FedEx package didn't show up" like I did. It's a loooooong line to get in the back of.
For even more fun, read their disclaimer where they're not responsible for their own fuckups. I got it right here.

Last edited:

Nope. The fact is I was here yesterday and outside and could not have missed the presence of a FedEx truck. They lied about being here. And they don't have to do a damn thing about it.

Getting "tracking updates texted to you in real time" is cute and all for playing with your phone but it doesn't do a damn bit of good if that info is fabricated.

Last edited:

I speak from experience.

Yes it is funny, no one else does their job everyday and knows what they are doing.

Down right amusing, thanks again.

Maybe you should order reading comprehension lessons by mail. What that post means is that the postal carrier is here (and everywhere) daily, whereas the last time a FedEx truck was here was maybe two years ago.

Given that, which one do you think knows an address from his asshole?

Let me know if you need more clues.

What's to reform beyond removing the gop law that requires the Post Office to fund pensions for the next 75 years? Something no other employer has to do.

They can't cut money from the Post Office. The reason for that is because the only tax dollars that the Post Office receives is in some cases to pay for mailing of voting material to disabled and overseas Americans.

Other than that, the post office doesn't get one penny of federal tax dollars.

The U.S. Postal Service | Need to Know | PBS

2. The postal service doesn’t rely on taxpayer funds.

Until 1971, mail delivery was handled by the Post Office Department, a Cabinet department in the federal government. Postal worker strikes prompted President Nixon to pass the Postal Reorganization Act in 1971, transforming it into the semi-independent agency we now know as the United States Postal Service. The USPS in its current form runs like a business, relies on postage for revenue and, for the most part, has not used taxpayer money since 1982, when postage stamps became “products” instead of forms of taxation. Taxpayer money is only used in some cases to pay for mailing voter materials to disabled and overseas Americans.

USPS spokespersons have been adamant in emphasizing that they are not requesting taxpayer funds from the federal government to make this year’s payment. Rather, they say, the USPS is asking Congress to authorize access to an estimated $7 billion that they overpaid into the future retiree pension fund in previous years.

Didn't he just appoint the first female Postmaster General?

I have some suggestions.

1. Charge $5.00 minimum for anything addressed to OCCUPANT.

2. Charge $5.00 minimum for any political ad.

3. Charge $5.00 minimum for any flyers for businesses.

Also, since the bulk of my mail these days is bullshit from Medicare, make them get their shit together.

But mainly, eliminate unsolicited mail by high fees, and leave the postal service to those of us who pay bills by mail and send cards and write letters.

Of course, if the USPS was no longer subsidized and subsidizing, and concentrated on meeting the needs of people, and not politicians and businesses, probably 80% of the overpaid union workers would have to be laid off.

You show just how uninformed you are.

The PO isn't subsidized by tax dollars. They don't get tax dollars beyond a few exceptional cases of voting material for the disabled and Americans overseas. You know, people like our troops.

The PO has been self sustaining since the 1980s.

Forum List

Back