What to do when the cops want to talk to you.

If you leave no eviidence they have no reason to talk to you..simple as that.

Evidence of what? A friend of mine had a visit by the cops because he was parked in a shopping area where a serious crime took place. Someone took his info, cops came to his house the next day, from a bordering state, btw.

He did noting yet they drove 30 plus miles to his house.

I can;t speak for someone who was stupid enough to let the cops know they were there much less their identity.

Correct, which indicates that people are often minding their own business and get approached by cops anyway. My friend sure wanted to know who took his license plate info and why, but never found out.

We had a mutual friend who was a detective in our area and my buddy called him and asked what to do, and he said go ahead and talk to them, which he did, all resulting in being asked to do a photo lineup, after which he did call his lawyer who advised him if he was not worried and not guilty there's no reason to fight it because if the cops had enough information to find him and talk to him, they'd have enough to get an order compelling him to get a picture taken. So he did it, and of course was ruled out immediately.

Moral of the story? There are no absolutes. Sometimes you comply, sometimes you don't.

Or they may be lying about why they want to talk to you.

Ever wonder why cops won't answer questions about a crime they are a witness to unless they have a union rep in the room?
Which TV show are you talking about?

What are you drinking?

You Have The Duty To Remain Silent . . . : Dallas Police Officers Barred From Making Statements For 72 Hours After Shootings To Review Videotapes and Other Evidence | JONATHAN TURLEY

Or they may be lying about why they want to talk to you.

Ever wonder why cops won't answer questions about a crime they are a witness to unless they have a union rep in the room?
Which TV show are you talking about?

What are you drinking?

You Have The Duty To Remain Silent . . . : Dallas Police Officers Barred From Making Statements For 72 Hours After Shootings To Review Videotapes and Other Evidence | JONATHAN TURLEY
Statements to the press mydear. You need to be sure of things for that because we all know how the press loves to stir the pot. The cops statement is his or her report.

Statements to the press mydear. You need to be sure of things for that because we all know how the press loves to stir the pot. The cops statement is his or her report.

No, my idiotic idiot, statements regarding the shooting. Police in Dallas get 72 hours to make sure their statements do not contradict the facts known to the police. This is to protect them from looking guilty because cops never ever break any laws or regulations.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...er-police-involved-shootings-more-accurately/

No, my idiotic idiot, statements regarding the shooting. Police in Dallas get 72 hours to make sure their statements do not contradict the facts known to the police. This is to protect them from looking guilty because cops never ever break any laws or regulations.

Do ?cooling off? periods help cops remember police-involved shootings more accurately?
You are making assumptions. You have a right to legal council before making any statements. Why shouldn't cops have that right? One can use the same argument that your right gives you time to fabricate a story too.

Say 'No'. Call a lawyer. Refuse to make any statements whatsoever.

If you think this is bad advice, call a lawyer and ask them.

Depends on why doesn't it?

Once someone was ringing my doorbell, I only saw a white car in the drive so I ignored it. Then I got a phone call, it was the police. An officer was knocking at my door :eek:

Ends up there was a complaint about tire dumping and our house was one of the targets. I talked to him :redface:

Do ?cooling off? periods help cops remember police-involved shootings more accurately?
You are making assumptions. You have a right to legal council before making any statements. Why shouldn't cops have that right? One can use the same argument that your right gives you time to fabricate a story too.

I am not making assumptions, you are. Cops already have the right to legal counsel, usually a union rep that is also a lawyer, just like everyone else. The difference is that if you get involved in an altercation, the cops will be right there asking you questions as soon as they can. They will then use anything that they later find contradicts what you said to prove you lied.

Yet cops are given 72 hours, and the opportunity to know what the evidence says, before they answer a single question.

I am not making assumptions, you are. Cops already have the right to legal counsel, usually a union rep that is also a lawyer, just like everyone else. The difference is that if you get involved in an altercation, the cops will be right there asking you questions as soon as they can. They will then use anything that they later find contradicts what you said to prove you lied.

Yet cops are given 72 hours, and the opportunity to know what the evidence says, before they answer a single question.
I don't get it. You don't have to talk to cops without a lawyer, period. and no, cops don't always share everything. Ever heard of internal affairs? If they get caught nosing around trying to fabricate a story they can get spun up pretty badly. You wach too much TV.

I don't get it. You don't have to talk to cops without a lawyer, period. and no, cops don't always share everything. Ever heard of internal affairs? If they get caught nosing around trying to fabricate a story they can get spun up pretty badly. You wach too much TV.

I know you don't get it, that is the problem.

Forum List

Back