What the Republicans need to do

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to post it again so each and every Republican sees it.

The GOP needs to get back to its "core" values. True conservatism. Goldwater conservatism. This is what the GOP needs to focus on:

-Low taxes with balanced budgets
-Strong national defense
-Engaged foreign policy
-Protection of the environment
-Less government interference in individual lives

These tenets of true political conservatism have been missing from the GOP since the Reagan Revolution. These principles, these conservative principles are now viewed by the Rabid Religous Right as unimportant. Some refer to the Republicans that believe in these principles as RINO's or in some cases liberals. Instead the party is now more worried about homos getting hitched, forcing the Christian God into every crevice of the US Government, and abortion. I loved Ronald Reagan, I really did. He didn't rebuild a damaged Republican Party, he rebuilt a damaged United States. But he hijacked my party in the process and it is time to take it back. I thought McCain was the guy to do it. He preached these very things in 2000 and seemed to forget about them in 2008. These are the principles that matter in government. They are the polar opposite of the ideals of liberalism. They are the polar opposite of proposed policies of President-Elect Obama. These conservative ideals are my ideals and the Republican that demonstrates these ideals wil get my support.

Bang on.

As a former Republican and quasi-libertarian, I would be happy if the party returned to what I used to think it stood for and would support it wholeheartedly. But this pandering to anti-intellectualism, propagation of voodoo economics and overwhelming emphasis on evangelical issues is not a party I wish support.

Bang on.

As a former Republican and quasi-libertarian, I would be happy if the party returned to what I used to think it stood for and would support it wholeheartedly. But this pandering to anti-intellectualism, propagation of voodoo economics and overwhelming emphasis on evangelical issues is not a party I wish support.

Thats what I want to get away from. The religous right can have a place in the party as long as they know that their issues are not going to be the center of the platform. Those five principles should be the platform. Small government, small platform.

the obvious to me is

Education. All around eductation, not liberal indoctrination.

And you call yourself a conservative. Education is a policy, not a direction. However, what would you do with education?

not for long, I think I'll go independent then I won't be attacked for answering a question. I'm not seeing much hope from your ilk or the liberal ilk.

Now for education,,, I would make sure the eductation included more than just the liberal point of view. I would seek qualified teachers, I would make the distribution of educational funds equal and fair. I would try to keep politics out of the abc of a basic education. Save the politics til college. Thanks for listening.

not for long, I think I'll go independent then I won't be attacked for answering a question. I'm not seeing much hope from your ilk or the liberal ilk.

Now for education,,, I would make sure the eductation included more than just the liberal point of view. I would seek qualified teachers, I would make the distribution of educational funds equal and fair. I would try to keep politics out of the abc of a basic education. Save the politics til college. Thanks for listening.

Yoiu do realize that Conservative is not a party, it is an ideaology. You don't change from Conservative to independent. Thats like saying, "I'm changing my favorite cereal from Frosted Flakes to Pop Tarts."

Yoiu do realize that Conservative is not a party, it is an ideaology. You don't change from Conservative to independent. Thats like saying, "I'm changing my favorite cereal from Frosted Flakes to Pop Tarts."

yes oh wise one I do realize that conservative is an ideology, one that supposedly Republicans favor. and the Dems liberalism I guess I don't meet your standards as a Republican so like Lieberman who failed as a Democrat I'm going Independent then I won't have to march lockstep with any ideology.

The Republicans would do well to focus on "conserving" our economy and our personal freedoms and not pandering to bigotry disguised as religion.

It's unfortunate for the Republican party that the religious right tethered itself to them. I'm not sure how it all got started but I'm sure we could make it a "chicken or the egg" type debate. Of course now the game is about paying lipservice to the special interests in exchange for campaign money and voter support. The party was once about civil liberties (as crimson so eloquently stated) but the association with religious fundamentalists has compromised that. I think that in addition to this, the adoption of neo-liberal economic policies has also damaged the party's image. If you go back and look at the economic policies enacted under Reagan, Bill Clinton stands out as the President who really entrenched those policies. Funny thing is that Robert Rubin was the guy who most influenced Clinton to re-think his economic philosphies and adopt neo-lberalism. Well, guess who sits on Obama's economic advisory board? Robert Rubin. This really makes me wonder about the fundamental differences (or lack thereof) between the two parties these days.

I have to use an a word with evil conotation in certain right wing circles and say the Republican party needs to get a little progressive on some social issues. First being homosexuality. Honestly who gives a flying fart if a gay couple wants to marry. I certainly don't.

Have a sensible stance on abortion. No abortions for any reason at not time is pretty ridiculous. I have said before the real issue behind abortion is when does human life begin. That's real discussion that needs to take place. For me that's when we are dealing with a human capable of feeling pain. I think we can all agree that doesn't exist at the moment of conception. i think we can also agree it isn't only after the baby is expelled from the whom.

And if you're going to run on the platform of limited government and manage to get elected. DAMMIT, DO IT. Take a hard look at the books, make some tough choices and right a tax code that makes sense.

Forum List

Back