What should employers do to employees who spend their work shifts surfing the web?

Wicked Jester

Libsmackin'chef
Aug 4, 2009
So. Cal, Malibu!
First of all, employees who waste company time and money posting and surfing the web all day are dirtbags. Particularly during these times when so many company's are struggling to stay afloat. But, even if they aren't struggling, they are in no way obligated to provide these dirtbags with jobs. An employee has an obligation to the company who hired them to do their jobs, and not waste company time and money.
Many company's, both small and large are monitoring their employees activities on company computers, and the instances of being caught are on the rise.
What should a company do when they catch these dirtbags?

Immediately terminate them?
Damn right!
Recommend a denial of unemployment benefits, too include providing computer logs as evidence?
Damn right!
Use computer logs as evidence in order to file suit to regain ALL lost wages paid to employee?
Damn Right.
Refuse to give said employees positive references when said employees apply for new jobs?
Damn Right.

There was an interesting discussion on one of the business shows this past weekend. The amount of money being wasted by these types of dirtbags was staggering. Over 100 million a year is lost in wasted company time and money. Businesses need to be alert, and watch for this garbage going on.
There are plenty of people in this country who are desperate for jobs, and would not engage in that bullshit.
What say you?

Last edited:
First of all, employees who waste company time and money posting and surfing the web all day are dirtbags. Particularly during these times when so many company's are struggling to stay afloat. But, even if they aren't struggling, they are in no way obligated to provide these dirtbags with jobs. An employee has an obligation to the company who hired them to do their jobs, and not waste company time and money.
Many company's, both small and large are monitoring their employees activities on company computers, and the instances of being caught are on the rise.

Damn right!
Recommend a denial of unemployment benefits, too include providing computer logs as evidence?
Damn right!
Use computer logs as evidence in order to file suit to regain ALL lost wages payed to employee?
Damn Right.
Refuse to give said employees positive references when said employees apply for new jobs?
Damn Right.

There was an interesting discussion on one of the business shows this past weekend. The amount of money being wasted by these types of dirtbags was staggering. Over 100 million a year is lost in wasted company time and money. Businesses need to be alert, and watch for this garbage going on.
There are plenty of people in this country who are desperate for jobs, and would not engage in that bullshit.
What say you?

I agree with you, but be careful. To do/prove any of the "damn right" things, you would need forensically sound logs of the user's activity whether its including browser history in the backups (which could be altered by teh user before the nightly backup) or a network level logging of sites visited and by what IP (which again would require more work as you would have to prove the person was sitting at their desk). Generally the physical location thing can be worked around by CAC cards, but per machine backups is harder.

I think though that if more companies had the network monitors in place and told the employees about it, it woudl severly cut down on misuse. They could also just install a site wide proxy that filters all those sites as many companies do.

take the internet access away?

Seriously? If you have employees on your payroll that you can't trust to not waste your time and money and you feel like you have to controll their behavior by limiting access to things or places, perhaps they shouldn't be working for you in the first place. Fire them.

Damn right!
Damn right!
Use computer logs as evidence in order to file suit to regain ALL lost wages payed to employee?
Damn Right.
Damn Right.

What say you?

When the economy gets better, who is going to want to work at such a place? Does this firm offer above market compensation?

I don't have a problem with people surfing the net at work as long as it is not excessive, it does not get in the way of their job, and is not inappropriate.

Give them an assignment with a due date.

If they finish it to your satifaction by the due date, leave them alone.

If they contunally finish their projects by the date due while surfing the web, promote them and give them more responibility.

Last edited:
There have been a few studies that suggest employees are more productive if they are allowed to surf the web during down time.

IMO, if the employee does their job I've no problem what they do.

Damn right!
Damn right!
Use computer logs as evidence in order to file suit to regain ALL lost wages paid to employee?
Damn Right.
Damn Right.

What say you?

are you at work right now, wicked?

If they contunally finish their projects by the date due while surfing the web, promote them and give them more responibility.

tHIS.

Damn right!
Damn right!
Damn Right.
Damn Right.

What say you?

I'm retired.

Damn right!
Damn right!
Damn Right.
Damn Right.

What say you?

I'm retired.

Then why would you give a shit?

I'm retired.

I give a shit about our economy, and the companies that drive it.
I owned a restaurant here in so-cal until a few months back when I received an offer on it that I couldn't possibly refuse. Still own the controlling interest in a restaurant in vegas, but my sous chef/business partner runs the day to day.

I know what employee theft costs businesses. And surfing the web all day on company time is tanamount to theft. Businesses need to be on the lookout for it, and prepared to take action when they find it occuring. And they must do whatever they can to prevent it.

Last edited:
I'm retired.

I give a shit about our economy, and the companies that drive it.
I owned a restaurant here in so-cal until a few months back when I received an offer on it that I couldn't possibly refuse. Still own the controlling interest in a restaurant in vegas, but my sous chef and business partner runs the day to day.

I know what employee theft costs businesses. And surfing the web all day on company time is tanamount to theft. Businesses need to be on the lookout for it, and prepared to take action when they find it occuring.

No it's not, it's tantamount to piss poor management who don't know how to maximize their employees' potential.

Bingo

depends on the job, i think. i have worked at places where you could play on the net...you know when there is zero business...you have cleaned etc...its the down time...no problems

i work at other jobs with no net access unless you are in the admin offices...people just bring blackberries or laptops...the building has wi fi...employees who are slack will always find a way to slack off...be it the net or the watercooler

Damn right!
Damn right!
Damn Right.
Damn Right.

What say you?

Damn right! Fire their asses!

Also fire those people who smoke on the job
Fire those leeches who drink coffee on company time
Fire the lowlifes who babble about their kids, favorite sports team, politics, religion, the weather or anything not company related
Black out the windows so people don't spend time watching the birds

Those damn unions are what's the problem

I'll bet those nine-year olds didn't have time to goof off back in the good old days of sweat shops and child labor.

There have been a few studies that suggest employees are more productive if they are allowed to surf the web during down time.

IMO, if the employee does their job I've no problem what they do.

The company I currently work for provides us with a "fun" computer to surf, play games, etc during slow periods. Some days are nothing but slow, other days forget it, it's not even worth turning it on.

Forum List

Back