What´s your favorite classic car?

What was left of a 69 Opel Rally, after meeting a Deer at 60 MPH and 2 AM...

junkopel.jpg

OSCCA = Opel Sports Car Club of America

A friend of mine had one of those. I believe Jimmy rolled his.

The Cobra I posted earlier is one of 2 Super Snakes. Shelby built the second for Bill Cosby who returned it after just one ride in it.
He wrote a comedy piece about the car.

Enjoy some classic Cosby.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0]Bill Cosby 200MPH - YouTube[/ame]

How odd. That Opel was owned by and rolled by my Brother Jim.....

OpelsRule.jpg

1977 Cadillac Coupe de Ville:

green_rare_78k_miles_26073044.jpg

Father-in-law gave his old one to my husband, and we still have it. White leather seats. People follow us and ask to buy it all the time.

Nice ride! They tell me you need Captains Papers to drive one!:lol::lol:

What was left of a 69 Opel Rally, after meeting a Deer at 60 MPH and 2 AM...

junkopel.jpg

OSCCA = Opel Sports Car Club of America

A friend of mine had one of those. I believe Jimmy rolled his.

The Cobra I posted earlier is one of 2 Super Snakes. Shelby built the second for Bill Cosby who returned it after just one ride in it.
He wrote a comedy piece about the car.

Enjoy some classic Cosby.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0]Bill Cosby 200MPH - YouTube[/ame]

How odd. That Opel was owned by and rolled by my Brother Jim.....

OpelsRule.jpg
Jimmy lived in Connecticut. Odd connection though.

No, Nader was a PR-hungry hack and an attention-whore. The problem with the Corvair was usually in the driver's seat!
Actually, it was a combination of two things: weight distribution (too much of it was behind the rear axle) and the independent swing axles in the rear (if the car swerved hard enough in one direction..the inside rear axle and wheel would tuck itself so far up under the car that when it came down on that side, it would tend to turn over)

It was extremely unsafe. The Volkswagen had similar features, but the motor was a lot lighter and the axle swing was more restricted. Believe me...I drove them both.

Nader may have been an attention whore, but he was right about the Corvair.

It was no worse than the Porsche 911's legendary knife-in-the-back snap oversteer! (Note: this was a feature of 911's into the 90's!) The VW would also do it...my mother owned a VW and a Corvair, and she always rated the 'Vair as the better handler.
I've driven them both...a lot...a '58 VW, two '61 Corvairs and a '64 VW...Corvairs were worse by far...I never had a problem with oversteer in the VWs. I guess what we have here is a difference of opinion...likely influenced by different driving techniques. I was taught to never jerk the wheel.

A 58, right? Now compare that car to the 58 Caddy Eldorado.
No, this is the 58. Pretty similar. In fact, there was very little difference until 63 when they hid the headlights.

kohn58.jpg

The top one is a '62.
Yes. I guess they figured "Why mess with a good thing"? Everybody thought the hidden headlights was so cool and futuristic, etc. but I liked the old ones better. Still, the 63 was pretty cool though.

web580_bg0609-80923_8.jpg

No, this is the 58. Pretty similar. In fact, there was very little difference until 63 when they hid the headlights.

kohn58.jpg

The top one is a '62.
Yes. I guess they figured "Why mess with a good thing"? Everybody thought the hidden headlights was so cool and futuristic, etc. but I liked the old ones better. Still, the 63 was pretty cool though.

I like the older ones too. Even the '54 with its 6cylinder engine appeals to me...the wire covers on the head lamps...the protruding taillights...

The top one is a '62.

I like the older ones too. Even the '54 with its 6cylinder engine appeals to me...the wire covers on the head lamps...the protruding taillights...
Yeah, the Corvette was the All-American sports car for many years. The Thunderbird gave it a good run for it's money but always lagged slightly behind the Vette.

Yeah, the Corvette was the All-American sports car for many years. The Thunderbird gave it a good run for it's money but always lagged slightly behind the Vette.
Ford never got into sports car suspensions like GM did. Ford stuck with the solid read axles..and then went to that heavy ass four seater. The Vette has been fiberglass from the get go.

Actually, it was a combination of two things: weight distribution (too much of it was behind the rear axle) and the independent swing axles in the rear (if the car swerved hard enough in one direction..the inside rear axle and wheel would tuck itself so far up under the car that when it came down on that side, it would tend to turn over)

It was extremely unsafe. The Volkswagen had similar features, but the motor was a lot lighter and the axle swing was more restricted. Believe me...I drove them both.

It was no worse than the Porsche 911's legendary knife-in-the-back snap oversteer! (Note: this was a feature of 911's into the 90's!) The VW would also do it...my mother owned a VW and a Corvair, and she always rated the 'Vair as the better handler.
I've driven them both...a lot...a '58 VW, two '61 Corvairs and a '64 VW...Corvairs were worse by far...I never had a problem with oversteer in the VWs. I guess what we have here is a difference of opinion...likely influenced by different driving techniques. I was taught to never jerk the wheel.

That's a no-brainer. Never buy a car with a steering problem, pretty much the only standard I have to buy a car or not, other than finding something underneath it or under the hood. I doubt there is any good way to fix such a problem in the column.

In 1965, my mother-in-law had a Mustang and we drove to Sea Ranch, CA, with it, on highway 128 to the coast, where she owned a lot in the woods. We'd always stay at the same motel in Gualala, and I'd walk alone into town to a tavern to play pool. I don't think sis talked much to my dad about this, but my sister now lives in Sea Ranch and also in Petaluma.

Last edited:

You don't have to. Simply getting off the gas mid-corner could put a 911 or a VW in a spin! (It's called "lift-throttle oversteer".)

Forum List

Back