What role does Affirmative Action play in the events playing out in Ferguson?

Affirmative Action programs for black teens are focused on the wrong areas; such as science, mathematics, or engineering.

Black youth today only want careers in either the NBA or the Rap music business.

So the Affirmative Actions programs need modernize and change their focus from academics to sports and pop culture. ..... :cool:

Gosh, I hope you're not a teacher or an academic.

[

If you'd take your head out of your posterior and actually READ what Sowell said you might grasp that his point 40 years ago was Affirmative Action wouldn't help poor blacks because the blacks that would get hired would be upper-class...you know...the ones that closet racists like Joe 'Hoof in Mouth' Biden think are WONDERFUL because they are clean and well spoken?

The reason that the Mike Brown's of the world are getting left behind in shit holes like East St. Louis is that Affirmative Action did just what Sowell said it would do WAY BACK THEN...it left poor blacks with sub par educations behind while it allowed limousine liberals to pat themselves on the back for being "inclusive" as they gave a hand up to upper-class blacks that they felt comfortable with at the country club!

No, the reason Mike Brown is getting left behind is because the big corporations you love so much have spent the last 30 years gutting the middle class. The problem isn't that blacks are having a hard time getting into the middle class, it's that whites are having a hard time staying in it.

Uncle Tom probably knows this, but he also knows his bread and butter is telling folks like you how shiftless black folks are and the reason why you got kicked out of hte middle class is because they gave your job to "those people'. Remember Jesse Helms and his "White Hands" ad?

Since the amount of money blacks with college educations make has grown at a much faster pace than any other group over the past 40 years while at the same time the amount of money blacks without a college education make has gone down...it's obvious that Thomas Sowell was correct in his assertions made way back then that Affirmative Action would NOT in fact help poor blacks but hurt them.

Your attempt to blame "big corporations" for the Mike Browns of the world not being able to find good jobs is laughable. You've got an education system predominantly run by liberals who pushed absurd concepts such as "Ebonics" so that kids like Mike Brown graduate without the basic skills needed to get a good job and then you want to blame "corporations" because he ends up being a thug on the streets?

Thomas Sowell started out his post college life as a Marxist but BECAME a proponent of Free Market Capitalism when he did a Federal Government internship studying the effects of minimum wage laws on the sugar cane industry of Puerto Rico. Sowell was intelligent enough to grasp that Marxism didn't work well in the real world just as he was intelligent enough to grasp that Affirmative Action wouldn't work for poor blacks in the real world either.

Last edited:
again, guy, Obama didn't win because of Affirmative Action.

Obama won because Bush messed up as badly as he did and perhaps destroyed the GOP Brand for life.

If not for Affirmative Action...nobody would have ever HEARD of Barack Obama let alone be having a debate about his competence.

It's how he got into Columbia...it's how he got into Harvard Law...it's how he became President of the Law Review. None of those things happened because of what Barack Obama himself had accomplished and I suspect that the reason an "academic" like Barry won't release his college transcripts is that his graduation with honors happened because of it as well.

Every American today benefits from Affirmative Action

It has been a major success

Affirmative Action has done what it was designed to do: promote the hiring of QUALIFIED Blacks and White women. With cries of "reverse discrimination" and "unqualified minorities" ringing in their ears, it was no wonder that employers sought the cream of the crop among Blacks....Blacks who had experience or training for the type of skill needed. Now, in this forum I am hearing an entirely different objection to AA. In harmony with Sowell, some of you are now agonizing over the success of AA in creating a vibrant Black middle class. Well, those Blacks who were not qualified and could not be trained to compete were left behind...that's life. The best went on to better things as planned!

I am indifferent with AA. What I do think is that it is a double-edged sword. For those who get the job they otherwise might not have gotten, it is a personal plus. For everyone applicant who did not get the job because it was an AA hire, then it reinforces racist/sexist impulses they may have.

I was turned down for a job because I did not know that "Minorities and women are encouraged to apply" meant "We will only consider minorities and women, and preferable a two-fer black woman". They said I was the best qualified applicant they had seen in years, but....

I didn't get all pissy about it though. People I told about the experience got far more indignant about it than I did. In my area, it is who you know that matters the most with most jobs, and that disfavors blacks, so I figured what comes around, goes around. No big deal.

Affirmative Action answers a basic question....

How do you know that someone can't do something if you don't let them try?

Obama won because Bush messed up as badly as he did and perhaps destroyed the GOP Brand for life.

If not for Affirmative Action...nobody would have ever HEARD of Barack Obama let alone be having a debate about his competence.

It's how he got into Columbia...it's how he got into Harvard Law...it's how he became President of the Law Review. None of those things happened because of what Barack Obama himself had accomplished and I suspect that the reason an "academic" like Barry won't release his college transcripts is that his graduation with honors happened because of it as well.

Obama still passed the state bar and got his law license. This we do know, besides our country doing pretty well under six years of Obama.

Well if it came to surgery, I would rather not be their learning curve LOL.

I do think it probably makes it harder for those who are not seeking jobs with the government & contractors because of the stigma associated with AA. It might also depend on where you live. In my state a discrimination claim is not as easy to maintain and even if you do, the courts/juries are not inclined to huge damage awards, so I think the existence of AA and equal opportunity laws are less of a factor in helping blacks, but rationalized racism does hurt them. Probably is different in other places.

I do think it probably makes it harder for those who are not seeking jobs with the government & contractors because of the stigma associated with AA. It might also depend on where you live. In my state a discrimination claim is not as easy to maintain and even if you do, the courts/juries are not inclined to huge damage awards, so I think the existence of AA and equal opportunity laws are less of a factor in helping blacks, but rationalized racism does hurt them. Probably is different in other places.

And that was used as a justification to keep women and minorities out of surgical schools. Prejudging that they will be unable to do the job, so why waste a med school slot?

And that was used as a justification to keep women and minorities out of surgical schools. Prejudging that they will be unable to do the job, so why waste a med school slot?

I just would want my surgeon to be well-qualified, regardless of their race, gender, nationality, or any other thing you want to toss in there LOL. If it came to a person digging ditches or punching on a keyboard, don't care so much if they are still learning.

Obama still passed the state bar and got his law license. This we do know, besides our country doing pretty well under six years of Obama.

Pretty well? Really?

Here's a little challenge for you, Jason...name something exceptional that Barack Obama accomplished as a lawyer. He graduated with honors from Harvard Law. He was given a position with a prestigious Chicago law firm right out of Harvard. So tell me what Barry accomplished as a lawyer during that time?

Last edited:

Pretty well? Really?

Here's a little challenge for you, Jason...name something exceptional that Barack Obama accomplished as a lawyer. He graduated with honors from Harvard Law. He's been given a position with a prestigious Chicago law firm right out of Harvard. So tell me what Barry accomplished as a lawyer during that time?

Doesn't matter. If you are the head of moot court or law review and graduate near the top of your class, a law firm somewhere will hire you regardless.

Pretty well? Really?

Here's a little challenge for you, Jason...name something exceptional that Barack Obama accomplished as a lawyer. He graduated with honors from Harvard Law. He was given a position with a prestigious Chicago law firm right out of Harvard. So tell me what Barry accomplished as a lawyer during that time?

My post had to do with Obama's being competent. Not everyone can pass the bar exam after graduating law school. He did. Most Presidents we've had at least in the past 70 or so years were not particularly accomplished individuals before becoming president anyway. I can only name Ike and Carter in my lifetime.

Pretty well? Really?

My post had to do with Obama's being competent. Not everyone can pass the bar exam after graduating law school. He did. Most Presidents we've had at least in the past 70 or so years were not particularly accomplished individuals before becoming president anyway. I can only name Ike and Carter in my lifetime.

With all due respect, Jason...compared to Barack Obama's "accomplishments" most of the Presidents over the last 70 or so years were VERY accomplished!

I noted that you didn't even TRY to name something exceptional that Barack Obama did as a lawyer but rather fell back on his "accomplishment" of passing the bar. The average number of people who pass the bar each year is more than fifty thousand. It's not exactly a small fraternity! Not everyone can pass a driver's license test either but that doesn't make doing so exceptional.

Last edited:

Kindly explain how Michael Brown benefited from Affirmative Action?

Tell me about his family history

You stated that every American today benefits from Affirmative Action. I simply asked you how Michael Brown benefited from AA but instead of answering that question you asked for a run down on his "family history". Typical Winger post...

You stated that every American today benefits from Affirmative Action. I simply asked you how Michael Brown benefited from AA but instead of answering that question you asked for a run down on his "family history". Typical Winger post...

Technically the key to undermining your game plan lies in the word "today" as posted in right wingers narrative . Michael Brown has been dead for over a month now. He is no longer living today.

Now, since you want to play games, I'll be your huckleberry. If Michael Brown was alive today it is obvious that he would still be benefiting from affirmative action in some way because, according to you and your ilk, any black that has a job got it through affirmative action. Adopting that paradigm for a moment, it can be applied this way: obviously, he was not living in squalor. From the size of him, he seemed to be well fed and nourished. And since there has been no reports that he or his care takers were on welfare; using your logic, AA must have been the reason for his apparent sustenance and shelter. That is check mate, silly rabbit. Go get a life!

How can I tell if I don't know his family history?
What am I a mind reader?

[

Since the amount of money blacks with college educations make has grown at a much faster pace than any other group over the past 40 years while at the same time the amount of money blacks without a college education make has gone down...it's obvious that Thomas Sowell was correct in his assertions made way back then that Affirmative Action would NOT in fact help poor blacks but hurt them.

Your attempt to blame "big corporations" for the Mike Browns of the world not being able to find good jobs is laughable. You've got an education system predominantly run by liberals who pushed absurd concepts such as "Ebonics" so that kids like Mike Brown graduate without the basic skills needed to get a good job and then you want to blame "corporations" because he ends up being a thug on the streets?

Thomas Sowell started out his post college life as a Marxist but BECAME a proponent of Free Market Capitalism when he did a Federal Government internship studying the effects of minimum wage laws on the sugar cane industry of Puerto Rico. Sowell was intelligent enough to grasp that Marxism didn't work well in the real world just as he was intelligent enough to grasp that Affirmative Action wouldn't work for poor blacks in the real world either.

Guy, nobody is out there teaching "ebonics".

You do get that not everyone is cut out for college, and for those who aren't, there should be good paying jobs, right? And there would be, if the Rich hadn't talked the politicians into signing idiot free trade treaties with third world countries.

And frankly, I don't care what kind of studies led Uncle Tom to join the Minstrel show.

Here's the thing that is telling. He makes his money talking this smack to white audiences. He'd be jeered off the stage if he ever talked to the brothers that way.

Forum List

Back