What role does Affirmative Action play in the events playing out in Ferguson?

[
Pretty well? Really?

Here's a little challenge for you, Jason...name something exceptional that Barack Obama accomplished as a lawyer. He graduated with honors from Harvard Law. He was given a position with a prestigious Chicago law firm right out of Harvard. So tell me what Barry accomplished as a lawyer during that time?

Two years after graduating, Obama was hired in Chicago as director of the Developing Communities Project, a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Roseland, West Pullman, and Riverdale on Chicago's South Side. He worked there as a community organizer from June 1985 to May 1988.[31][33] He helped set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens.[34] Obama also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.[35] In mid-1988, he traveled for the first time in Europe for three weeks and then for five weeks in Kenya, where he met many of his paternal relatives for the first time.[36][37] He returned to Kenya in 1992 with his fiancée Michelle and his half-sister Auma.[36][38] He returned to Kenya in August 2006 for a visit to his father's birthplace, a village near Kisumu in rural western Kenya.[39]

Obama entered Harvard Law School in the fall of 1988. He was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review at the end of his first year,[40] president of the journal in his second year,[34][41] and research assistant to the constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe while at Harvard for two years.[42] During his summers, he returned to Chicago, where he worked as an associate at the law firms of Sidley Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990.[43] After graduating with a J.D. magna cum laude[44] from Harvard in 1991, he returned to Chicago.[40] Obama's election as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review gained national media attention[34][41] and led to a publishing contract and advance for a book about race relations,[45] which evolved into a personal memoir. The manuscript was published in mid-1995 as Dreams from My Father.[45]

In 1991, Obama accepted a two-year position as Visiting Law and Government Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School to work on his first book.[45][46] He then taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, first as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and then as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004.[47]

From April to October 1992, Obama directed Illinois's Project Vote, a voter registration campaign with ten staffers and seven hundred volunteer registrars; it achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, leading Crain's Chicago Business to name Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.[48]

He joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 13-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004. His law license became inactive in 2007.[49][50]

From 1994 to 2002, Obama served on the boards of directors of the Woods Fund of Chicago, which in 1985 had been the first foundation to fund the Developing Communities Project; and of the Joyce Foundation.[31] He served on the board of directors of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge from 1995 to 2002, as founding president and chairman of the board of directors from 1995 to 1999.[31]

Man, what a SLACKER!! And we didn't even get to the part were he got elected State Senator, US Senator, and oh, yeah, PRESIDENT!!!!

again, guy, Obama didn't win because of Affirmative Action.

Obama won because Bush messed up as badly as he did and perhaps destroyed the GOP Brand for life.

If not for Affirmative Action...nobody would have ever HEARD of Barack Obama let alone be having a debate about his competence.

It's how he got into Columbia...it's how he got into Harvard Law...it's how he became President of the Law Review. None of those things happened because of what Barack Obama himself had accomplished and I suspect that the reason an "academic" like Barry won't release his college transcripts is that his graduation with honors happened because of it as well.

Obama still passed the state bar and got his law license. This we do know, besides our country doing pretty well under six years of Obama.

Pretty well? Really?

Here's a little challenge for you, Jason...name something exceptional that Barack Obama accomplished as a lawyer. He graduated with honors from Harvard Law. He was given a position with a prestigious Chicago law firm right out of Harvard. So tell me what Barry accomplished as a lawyer during that time?

I never said Obama was exceptionally accomplished as a lawyer. I simply stated he passed the bar exam first time he took it, which a lot of people don't do. And you can't use equal opportunity to pass the bar exam either. I also stated that in my opinion, the only exceptional people who became president in my lifetime were Carter and Ike. My opinion of course. And yes, Carter didn't have a very successful presidency most will say. On the other hand, Carter also didn't make war on other countries like presidents seem to do now, so maybe he wasn't so unsuccessful as president after all, considering how much these wars have cost us. Accomplished, great, exceptional. Who's to judge if a person is or isn't, usually it's a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
again, guy, Obama didn't win because of Affirmative Action.

Obama won because Bush messed up as badly as he did and perhaps destroyed the GOP Brand for life.

If not for Affirmative Action...nobody would have ever HEARD of Barack Obama let alone be having a debate about his competence.

It's how he got into Columbia...it's how he got into Harvard Law...it's how he became President of the Law Review. None of those things happened because of what Barack Obama himself had accomplished and I suspect that the reason an "academic" like Barry won't release his college transcripts is that his graduation with honors happened because of it as well.

Obama still passed the state bar and got his law license. This we do know, besides our country doing pretty well under six years of Obama.

Pretty well? Really?

I never said Obama was exceptionally accomplished as a lawyer. I simply stated he passed the bar exam first time he took it, which a lot of people don't do. And you can't use equal opportunity to pass the bar exam either. I also stated that in my opinion, the only exceptional people who became president in my lifetime were Carter and Ike. My opinion of course. And yes, Carter didn't have a very successful presidency most will say. On the other hand, Carter also didn't make war on other countries like presidents seem to do now, so maybe he wasn't so unsuccessful as president after all, considering how much these wars have cost us. Accomplished, great, exceptional. Who's to judge if a person is or isn't, usually it's a matter of opinion.

Granted..."exceptional" is a matter of opinion! Here's the thing though, Jason...I can point to most people of accomplishment and tick off the exceptional things that they did on the way to becoming accomplished and you can see the progression that led them to where they ended up.

Take George H. W. Bush for instance. He became the youngest Naval aviator ever at only age 18 and won the Distinguished Flying Cross in WWII. Became a millionaire after starting his own oil business. Was the US Ambassador to the UN. Was Chairman of the Republican National Committee. Was the Director of the CIA. All that was BEFORE he became a Vice President and President!

Now compare THAT to Barack Obama's adult life after leaving Harvard Law School after being named the first black President of the Harvard Law Review!

Barack Obama did not excel as a lawyer. He did not excel as a professor at the University of Chicago. He was absolutely awful as a State legislator in the Illinois State House! Yet what's remarkable is that someone with that record of absolute mediocrity...somehow managed to not only become a US Senator but was elected President of the United States not once but TWICE! I'm actually in awe of what Barack Obama was able to pull off, Jason! He managed to con his way into the Oval Office with a vague campaign about "Hope & Change" and little more! What he did was an astounding political feat and I really mean that!

The problem that he's faced ever since is that he's sitting in the Oval Office...arguably the most powerful job on the planet...and he doesn't have the faintest idea how to be a leader and do that job.

[
Pretty well? Really?

Two years after graduating, Obama was hired in Chicago as director of the Developing Communities Project, a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Roseland, West Pullman, and Riverdale on Chicago's South Side. He worked there as a community organizer from June 1985 to May 1988.[31][33] He helped set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens.[34] Obama also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.[35] In mid-1988, he traveled for the first time in Europe for three weeks and then for five weeks in Kenya, where he met many of his paternal relatives for the first time.[36][37] He returned to Kenya in 1992 with his fiancée Michelle and his half-sister Auma.[36][38] He returned to Kenya in August 2006 for a visit to his father's birthplace, a village near Kisumu in rural western Kenya.[39]

Obama entered Harvard Law School in the fall of 1988. He was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review at the end of his first year,[40] president of the journal in his second year,[34][41] and research assistant to the constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe while at Harvard for two years.[42] During his summers, he returned to Chicago, where he worked as an associate at the law firms of Sidley Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990.[43] After graduating with a J.D. magna cum laude[44] from Harvard in 1991, he returned to Chicago.[40] Obama's election as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review gained national media attention[34][41] and led to a publishing contract and advance for a book about race relations,[45] which evolved into a personal memoir. The manuscript was published in mid-1995 as Dreams from My Father.[45]

In 1991, Obama accepted a two-year position as Visiting Law and Government Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School to work on his first book.[45][46] He then taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, first as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and then as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004.[47]

From April to October 1992, Obama directed Illinois's Project Vote, a voter registration campaign with ten staffers and seven hundred volunteer registrars; it achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, leading Crain's Chicago Business to name Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.[48]

He joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 13-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004. His law license became inactive in 2007.[49][50]

From 1994 to 2002, Obama served on the boards of directors of the Woods Fund of Chicago, which in 1985 had been the first foundation to fund the Developing Communities Project; and of the Joyce Foundation.[31] He served on the board of directors of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge from 1995 to 2002, as founding president and chairman of the board of directors from 1995 to 1999.[31]

Man, what a SLACKER!! And we didn't even get to the part were he got elected State Senator, US Senator, and oh, yeah, PRESIDENT!!!!

Yes, he DID hold positions with both a very prestigious law firm and a very prestigious university, Joe but is you REALLY look at his tenor at both what stands out is how Barack Obama DIDN'T stand out! He got some great jobs because of that plum he was given by Harvard Law School when they named him the first black President of the Law Review but when you examine what he DID at those jobs what you see is someone that showed up. The brutally honest truth is that Obama was not a gifted lawyer or professor!

And if you'd like to talk about his legislative record as an elected representative I'd be happy to oblige. The truth there is even worse! Barack Obama was such a bad legislator that not a single bill that he sponsored was passed in the first two years that he was in the Illinois State Senate. He didn't get anything done until Emile Jones decided to make Barry into his "project" and started forcing other Democrats to let Obama sign onto THEIR work as a sponsor so he wouldn't look so inept...a practice that continued even after Obama got to the US Senate. So if you REALLY want to have that conversation then bring it on!

Affirmative Action answers a basic question....

How do you know that someone can't do something if you don't let them try?

I tried using that logic on women and they just didn't buy it - "Hey honey, how do you know that I'm not the love of your life unless you come to my place and have hot torrid sex with me?"

It could have been my delivery, but I suspect that it was the screwed up logic you're pushing.

Yes, he DID hold positions with both a very prestigious law firm and a very prestigious university, Joe but is you REALLY look at his tenor at both what stands out is how Barack Obama DIDN'T stand out! He got some great jobs because of that plum he was given by Harvard Law School when they named him the first black President of the Law Review but when you examine what he DID at those jobs what you see is someone that showed up. The brutally honest truth is that Obama was not a gifted lawyer or professor!

And if you'd like to talk about his legislative record as an elected representative I'd be happy to oblige. The truth there is even worse! Barack Obama was such a bad legislator that not a single bill that he sponsored was passed in the first two years that he was in the Illinois State Senate. He didn't get anything done until Emile Jones decided to make Barry into his "project" and started forcing other Democrats to let Obama sign onto THEIR work as a sponsor so he wouldn't look so inept...a practice that continued even after Obama got to the US Senate. So if you REALLY want to have that conversation then bring it on!

Don't overlook the fact that a publisher CAME TO HIM and offered him a contract to write an autobiography because he was elected token black President of the law review. Have you ever heard of a publisher offering any other law student a publishing contract for an autobiography because they were elected as President/Editor of Law Review?

This guy's entire life has been about trading on his blackness. Being raised apart from African-American culture was his winning lottery ticket. It changed his accent, changed his perspective and allowed him to be a white man in a black body.

Tenor? He was a great singer at his law firm?

I live in IL, guy. You obviously don't know a lot about IL politics. I'm surprised you didn't throw in the canard about him voting "Present", which is usually a sign of people who don't know what they are talking about.

Now, true, working to better his community and representing his state isn't as noble as Uncle Tom Sowell telling audiences of white people how shiftless black folks are, but it is kind of important.

Tenor? He was a great singer at his law firm?

I live in IL, guy. You obviously don't know a lot about IL politics. I'm surprised you didn't throw in the canard about him voting "Present", which is usually a sign of people who don't know what they are talking about.

Now, true, working to better his community and representing his state isn't as noble as Uncle Tom Sowell telling audiences of white people how shiftless black folks are, but it is kind of important.

If you live in Illinois then I don't have to tell you who Emile Jones is...you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Obama voting "Present" on tough issues back then was simply a precursor to what we'd be getting from him later on as President. It's "leading from behind" put into a one word form.

Thomas Sowell has never described black people as "shiftless". He believes from personal experience that blacks can succeed despite closet racists like yourself declaring them to be in need of constant help to do so. He believes that because he DID that!

[

If you live in Illinois then I don't have to tell you who Emile Jones is...you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Obama voting "Present" on tough issues back then was simply a precursor to what we'd be getting from him later on as President. It's "leading from behind" put into a one word form.

You see, you couldn't help yourself. He voted Present in about 3% of the roll-calls he was involved in. Voting Present- usually on preliminary votes - is a way to tell a bill's sponsors that you might be brought over if changes are made and it's a very common tactic.

But if you knew anything about IL politics other than what you've heard on Hate Radio, you'd know this.

[
Thomas Sowell has never described black people as "shiftless". He believes from personal experience that blacks can succeed despite closet racists like yourself declaring them to be in need of constant help to do so. He believes that because he DID that!

And yet, he never brings this message to black folks, or even speaks in front of black audiences.

Okay, we don't need affirmative action because minorities are "helpless". We need them because those who make hiring decisions are usually white men, and they are more inclined to hire people who remind them of themselves, even if they aren't bigots.

I don't think my boss was a bigot when he made more time for the White Intern than for the two minority buyers who had been with his company for years. But it does show a mindset. If you don't have set asides, those who have will take care of their own first.

[

You see, you couldn't help yourself. He voted Present in about 3% of the roll-calls he was involved in. Voting Present- usually on preliminary votes - is a way to tell a bill's sponsors that you might be brought over if changes are made and it's a very common tactic.

But if you knew anything about IL politics other than what you've heard on Hate Radio, you'd know this.

[

And yet, he never brings this message to black folks, or even speaks in front of black audiences.

Okay, we don't need affirmative action because minorities are "helpless". We need them because those who make hiring decisions are usually white men, and they are more inclined to hire people who remind them of themselves, even if they aren't bigots.

I don't think my boss was a bigot when he made more time for the White Intern than for the two minority buyers who had been with his company for years. But it does show a mindset. If you don't have set asides, those who have will take care of their own first.

What Sowell predicted 40 years ago, when Affirmative Action was first made law, was that it would be a wonderful thing for well educated blacks and do nothing for poor blacks like Michael Brown. So fast forward to 40 years later and it's obvious that Sowell was 100% correct in his predictions! The average income of well educated blacks has grown more than any other segment of our society while at the same time the average income of blacks from poor urban areas has gone down more than any other segment of society. Why is that? Because people like Joe Biden LOVE well spoken, "clean" people of color like Barack Obama! What's unsaid but quite obvious if you examine Biden's mind set, is that people like Joe Biden don't want anything to do with the Michael Browns of the world because they aren't well spoken and they don't look like they'd fit in at the country club! Oh, they'll go through the motions to keep the black VOTES coming in but they aren't going to REALLY do anything to make a change. Why would they? They've trapped urban blacks like Michael Brown in a form of "entitlement slavery"!

[

What Sowell predicted 40 years ago, when Affirmative Action was first made law, was that it would be a wonderful thing for well educated blacks and do nothing for poor blacks like Michael Brown. So fast forward to 40 years later and it's obvious that Sowell was 100% correct in his predictions! The average income of well educated blacks has grown more than any other segment of our society while at the same time the average income of blacks from poor urban areas has gone down more than any other segment of society. Why is that? Because people like Joe Biden LOVE well spoken, "clean" people of color like Barack Obama! What's unsaid but quite obvious if you examine Biden's mind set, is that people like Joe Biden don't want anything to do with the Michael Browns of the world because they aren't well spoken and they don't look like they'd fit in at the country club! Oh, they'll go through the motions to keep the black VOTES coming in but they aren't going to REALLY do anything to make a change. Why would they? They've trapped urban blacks like Michael Brown in a form of "entitlement slavery"!

Guy, someone should have explained to you at an early age that repetition isn't an argument.

Yes, Affirmative Action has helped well educated blacks. It also helps working class blacks. Of course, the main beneficiaries of Affirmative Action have been White Women... but that's a point you keep avoiding.

As for Joe Biden, he has a 30 year record in the Senate of proposing legislation that has helped black folks. And once in a while, he says something stupid because he doesn't engage his brain before he opens his mouth. But I look at the totality of the man, not just the occasionally dumb thing he says.

But you can tell yourself that Blacks are just voting Democrat because they are just so shiftless, if that's what makes you sleep better at night.

[

Guy, someone should have explained to you at an early age that repetition isn't an argument.

Yes, Affirmative Action has helped well educated blacks. It also helps working class blacks. Of course, the main beneficiaries of Affirmative Action have been White Women... but that's a point you keep avoiding.

As for Joe Biden, he has a 30 year record in the Senate of proposing legislation that has helped black folks. And once in a while, he says something stupid because he doesn't engage his brain before he opens his mouth. But I look at the totality of the man, not just the occasionally dumb thing he says.

But you can tell yourself that Blacks are just voting Democrat because they are just so shiftless, if that's what makes you sleep better at night.

And someone should have explained to you long ago that calling a black person who's views you don't agree with an "Uncle Tom" rather than presenting a valid counterpoint to their view is it's own form of racism!

You're right, Joe...Joe Biden has made "politician" his career since the early 70's. He's been in the US Senate for DECADES and during that time the economic status of poor blacks has gone down more than any other group. You want to look at the "totality" of the man? Look at what the progressive agenda that he's championed has DONE for poor blacks in this country over the past 40 years!

As for Biden's "brain"? I don't think Joe Biden is very intelligent, Joe! When he says "dumb things" it's because he's a "dumb person".

[

And someone should have explained to you long ago that calling a black person who's views you don't agree with an "Uncle Tom" rather than presenting a valid counterpoint to their view is it's own form of racism!

you're right. I should have called him a "Self-Loathing Uncle Tom" in the interest of completeness.

[
You're right, Joe...Joe Biden has made "politician" his career since the early 70's. He's been in the US Senate for DECADES and during that time the economic status of poor blacks has gone down more than any other group. You want to look at the "totality" of the man? Look at what the progressive agenda that he's championed has DONE for poor blacks in this country over the past 40 years!

Well, you see, guy, if you'd turn off the Hate Radio for more than five minutes, and maybe actually looked at the real world, no most working class blacks are better off than they were in the 1970's. Working class whites are worse off, of course, because your wealthy Republican friends are doing a very good job of dismantling the middle class. But they can scream "It's because of Affirmative Action", and you won't even notice they moved your job to China.

[
As for Biden's "brain"? I don't think Joe Biden is very intelligent, Joe! When he says "dumb things" it's because he's a "dumb person".

And yet he's accomplished far more than you ever will.

[

[

So?

I mean that seriously. So?

You don't have a right to a job. I mean you understand that, right?

So what if I wanted to hire all twenty something big breasted blondes and no one else.

[

[

What Sowell predicted 40 years ago, when Affirmative Action was first made law, was that it would be a wonderful thing for well educated blacks and do nothing for poor blacks like Michael Brown. So fast forward to 40 years later and it's obvious that Sowell was 100% correct in his predictions!

Also, don't overlook the fact that about 3/4 of the blacks admitted to Harvard and other prestigious universities are either bi-racial or are immigrants or the children of immigrants.

The native African-American population that AA was set up to serve is being cast aside as immigrant blacks or biracial blacks take advantage.

[

So?

So what if I wanted to hire all twenty something big breasted blondes and no one else.

Well, yeah, I guess so.

But under the sensible, fair and decent laws we have, if you passed up a more qualified black man for that job, then that's discrimination and he has cause to sue.

Now, it would be nice is we all DID have a right to a job. That would solve a lot of problems.

[

Also, don't overlook the fact that about 3/4 of the blacks admitted to Harvard and other prestigious universities are either bi-racial or are immigrants or the children of immigrants.

The native African-American population that AA was set up to serve is being cast aside as immigrant blacks or biracial blacks take advantage.

Then you should change the laws to make sure that original group are the ones being helped.

[

So?

Well, yeah, I guess so.

But under the sensible, fair and decent laws we have, if you passed up a more qualified black man for that job, then that's discrimination and he has cause to sue.

Now, it would be nice is we all DID have a right to a job. That would solve a lot of problems.

How are the laws fair to me? If I want to hire a roomful of incompetent, but beautiful, employees. Who's business is that but mine?

You certainly don't have a right to force me to hire competent help. Shit we can't even force each other to vote for competent politicians.

[

Then you should change the laws to make sure that original group are the ones being helped.

I'm past the point of caring. I want all Affirmative Action torn down.

Forum List

Back