Discussion in 'Politics' started by Seawytch, Jan 9, 2013.
What GOP President has ever nominated a Democrat to a position similar to Secretary of Defense?
Basically if a Demcrat is put into a GOP cabinet..it's a throwaway position..and they generally don't get over the number "1".
"Partisan" President Obama has appointed several Republicans to plumb positions, even after one accepted the position then suddenly refused it.
I was able to find one...Lincoln. Lincoln nominated a Democrat as his Secretary of War.
• George W. Bush: Democrat Norman Mineta, transportation secretary.
• Bill Clinton: Republican William Cohen, defense secretary.
• George H. W. Bush: nada.
• Ronald Reagan: William Bennett was a Democrat when appointed as education secretary in 1985, but the following year, he became a Republican and has remained a conservative Republican voice ever since.
• Jimmy Carter: Republican James Schlesinger, who served as defense secretary under Republican presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, was tapped by Carter as America's first energy secretary.
• Richard Nixon: Daniel Patrick Moynihan served as ambassador to the United Nations, which at the time was not a Cabinet-level position.
PolitiFact | Three Cabinet appointees from opposing party is unmatched
Doesn't happen very often period. As Obama didn't have any executive experience, he had few contacts and had to use others.
Who cares?...We oppose Hagel based on his positions, not his party plus he's not qulified..Which doesn't matter much to liberals since Obama's not quilified to be president
Herbert Hoover appointed Benjamin Cardozo to SCJ
Biased MSM does not know much, ey?
Imagine being a modern Democrat POTUS and trying to find a Democrat qualified to be Sec of Def.
Should be a pretty interesting process, Hagel's pissed off both parties over the years.
Why is there so much expertise missing from the left?
(It was a rhetorical question)
Separate names with a comma.