Child tax credits and earned income credits

sickofpeople

Rookie
Jan 6, 2013
Northeast
Okay so I'm new here, but I have read enough to know that there are sooooo many different viewpoints. So let me ask you this....
What is your view on the child tax credit and earned income credit? Should we be giving these tax credits? Tell me what you think.

Okay so I'm new here, but I have read enough to know that there are sooooo many different viewpoints. So let me ask you this....
What is your view on the child tax credit and earned income credit? Should we be giving these tax credits? Tell me what you think.

If you are going to start a thread, why not you tell us first what you think?

You could postulate, for example, that an arbitrary government confiscation of a person's property based solely on how much semen one spreads around violates equal protections under the Constitution. That might be an interesting thread.

Have a take, then post.

Last edited:
Okay I'm new. So I think there are 2 types of people who get these credits,

Type 1 - People who are working as little as possible, collecting everything they can take, having more kids than they can afford, and then banging us literally with the earned income credit, and the child tax credit.
Type 2 - People who lost their job through no fault of their own. People who have worked and paid into the system for many years, and now have to take a job for much less than they were making previously. These are the people that are working as many hours as they can and trying to climb the ladder back up to where they were.

Here's my question?
Should we cut off type 2 in order to punish type 1?

Here's my opinion, If type 2 has worked hard and paid into the tax base for many years, they should be "entitled" (yes I said it) to the tax credit.
I think there are more type 2's in the world. I think we should continue to try to work on solutions for type 1, but we might need to "take one for the team" in order to help type 2. After all, we can't argue that jobs were falling off of the cliff in 2008, and there were staggering numbers of layoffs. There are too many type 2's, and if we aren't careful they can turn into type 1's.
So, in a nutshell....

Why should you pay less taxes because you chose to have children?
Your children put more tax burden on society, and yet you get a tax break for having them.

Okay I'm new. So I think there are 2 types of people who get these credits,

Type 1 - People who are working as little as possible, collecting everything they can take, having more kids than they can afford, and then banging us literally with the earned income credit, and the child tax credit.
Type 2 - People who lost their job through no fault of their own. People who have worked and paid into the system for many years, and now have to take a job for much less than they were making previously. These are the people that are working as many hours as they can and trying to climb the ladder back up to where they were.

Here's my question?
Should we cut off type 2 in order to punish type 1?

Here's my opinion, If type 2 has worked hard and paid into the tax base for many years, they should be "entitled" (yes I said it) to the tax credit.
I think there are more type 2's in the world. I think we should continue to try to work on solutions for type 1, but we might need to "take one for the team" in order to help type 2. After all, we can't argue that jobs were falling off of the cliff in 2008, and there were staggering numbers of layoffs. There are too many type 2's, and if we aren't careful they can turn into type 1's.
So, in a nutshell....

Child tax credit and EIC are different things. Your type 1 and 2 example fails because of it.

I understand that they are 2 different things. They are both examples of tax credits that I have heard people complain about.
So what if I were to take the child tax credit out of the example, and just leave the EIC?

I understand that they are 2 different things. They are both examples of tax credits that I have heard people complain about.
So what if I were to take the child tax credit out of the example, and just leave the EIC?

You would have a confusing, rambling and uninteresting thread.

There should be no deductions for having kids and all tax credits should be gotten rid of.

If you have an income you should get taxed on the gross.

The real reason we have so many tax breaks directly related to someone's having children is that people with children are one of the largest most powerful special interest groups in the country.

Okay so I'm guessing you need a college degree to post a thread. You can give opinions on both types of tax credits, like skull pilot above.
I don't even know how to use the quote stuff yet.
Boy it's going to be really hard finding people who aren't so condescending isn't it?
Maybe give a newbie a break?

Okay so I'm guessing you need a college degree to post a thread. You can give opinions on both types of tax credits, like skull pilot above.
Boy it's going to be really hard finding people who aren't so condescending isn't it?

The rightwingers on this board are 99% assholes and 100% idiots,

not to put too fine a point on it. Their first line of defense against their own intellectual bankruptcy is the personal attack.

Why should you pay less taxes because you chose to have children?
Your children put more tax burden on society, and yet you get a tax break for having them.

Children, in productive homes, tend to grow up to be productive. It's old people who have lost all usefulness and only become a burden :D

Seriously, since when do we grant the government so much confiscation power over our labor? Our schools are abysmal. Our roads never seem to get finished without first costing millions or billions more, then when we were fist asked to vote for that municipal bond that would pay for them...the complaints could go on with how bad government is with OUR money.

So, for those people who are productive and can keep more of their own money?...yeah I am all for it!

Last edited:

There should be no tax credits and no tax loopholes. Everyone should pay a 20 percent income tax regardless of income.

The rightwingers on this board are 99% assholes and 100% idiots,

not to put too fine a point on it. Their first line of defense against their own intellectual bankruptcy is the personal attack.

Like you have room to talk...

:badgrin:

There should be no tax credits and no tax loopholes. Everyone should pay a 20 percent income tax regardless of income.

The problem with that, of course, is everyone would have skin in the game and therefore be less inclined to support crippling deficits and mindless handouts.

oh wait

There should be no deductions for having kids and all tax credits should be gotten rid of.

Yep pure flat rate tax system with NO deductions and EVERYONE pays the same percentage on ALL income.

Yep pure flat rate tax system with NO deductions and EVERYONE pays the same percentage on ALL income.

I disagree. The progressive tax system takes into account that first dollars you earn are more likely to be used for necessities than the higher and higher dollars you earn, and it doesn't make sense to make the tax burden as high on your food and shelter dollars, for example, compared to your hundred thousandth, or millionth dollar.

You can simplify the tax system without flattening it,

by retaining progressive brackets while eliminating various deductions, credits, loopholes, etc.

HOWEVER, in the real world, the preferential treatment of taxpayers with children is not going anywhere EVER...

...so you can enjoy talking about it, but don't let yourself be deluded into thinking you're talking about anything feasible.

Get rid of all tax breaks.

We have loads of folks who collect big time at the end of the year. Way more than they pay in. All because they have kids.

Forum List

Back