What policy should America have related to Islam?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rocko, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,908
    One of the reasons why we were successful in the cold war, is we presented an ideology that countered communism.

All bush and Obama have done is kill muslims, and then talk about what a peaceful religion Islam is...I'm not saying that we need to openly oppose islam, but maybe we need to work with muslims that have an opposing view, so they can promote a peaceful alternative, and that movement has to be much stronger than the islamist movement.

I don't see anything we're doing to help the opposing view of radicalism relating to islam....what can we do?

2. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    The policy that the U.S. should have towards Islam is the same as towards all other religions and it's spelled out in the Constitution:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or restricting the free exercise thereof . . ."

(First Amendment.)

As for your suggestion of a new Cold War, I'll pass, thanks. The old one was an excuse for increased control of people's personal lives and compromising of political liberties here at home. We don't need any more of that crap.

3. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,389
  4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    I believe Islam is in fact a religion of peace, as has been proclaimed.
    The practice of Islam is another matter.
    But as long as our firearms outnumber their members I think we'll be ok.

5. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,908
    This has nothing to do with separation of church and state...

Many muslims around the world think its ok to kill people and oppress people, because their religion tells them its ok.....we shouldn't help fight that sort of thinking? Maybe if we did, that wouldn't be PC enough?

6. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Our policy towards the religion of Islam should be extermination. It is a wicked cancer of religion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Separation of church and state is, however, a good counter to your fascist inclinations, and is put forth for that reason.

The thing is, I am not fooled. I know that what you are looking for -- you said as much yourself in the OP -- is a new crusade similar in function to the Cold War. The Cold War not only led to a couple of hot wars we would have been better off avoiding, but also to a loss of liberty in the U.S., the expansion of the national security state, and the persecution of almost all liberals of a certain generation.

Anyone who misses the Cold War and thinks we need another one should be run out of town on a rail forthwith. In tar and feathers.

8. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

I don't think we have a choice. We have to keep them out of the entire continent of N. America. Many are living in the 15th century--there is no amount of winning the "hearts and minds"--that is going to change their ancient violent mindset when it comes to Islam.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,908
    WoW, talk about taking something and running with it

Islam is a religion that does have people, that take a positive and peaceful message from the theology...right? What I am suggesting is we help empower a movement that preaches that message against the islamist message.

Islam is not only theology, but also political, and there many not be a fundamental flaw in the religion and the political stuff maybe all metaphors for peace, but to be honest I think it is flawed, which is why islamic terrorism is a world wide epidemic, but even if there isn't a flaw, that's all the more reason to support a movement of peaceful practicing islam against evil islam.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't claim to have all the answers, which is why I asked for opinions....It just doesn't seem like we're doing enough to fight the problem.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,908
    You might be right, but maybe if we are a bit more honest about the mindset being the problem, that would help, but it may also make things worse.