What makes someone a Christian?

thus alluding to the reasons behind all the different sects: no one can agree. find the least common denominator between the sects, and that's your defining factor. In this case, it looks like Jesus has something to do with it.

And virtually every one of the sects think they have it figured out...

So?

Every believer in Christ is a Christian...

This isn't rocket surgery....

Even the devils believe... that doesn't make them Christians.

Muslims believe in Jesus. that doesn't make them Christians.

Being a Christian is defined by more than mere belief. It is defined as becoming a disciple of Jesus Christ with the view that He is the Son of God and atoned for the sins of the world. This process is done through entering into a covenant with Him, though I am sure people differ how that covenant is made or defined.

So?

Even the devils believe... that doesn't make them Christians.

Being a Christian is defined by more than mere belief. It is defined as becoming a disciple of Jesus Christ with the view that He is the Son of God and atoned for the sins of the world. This process is done through entering into a covenant with Him, though I am sure people differ how that covenant is made or defined.

good point, Muslims even worship the same god as Christians.

Well, Muslims acknowledge that Jesus was a person, much like Cheney is a PERSON. When everyone says "believe in", they are referring to worship as a god. Christianity is defined by just mere belief. That's what all religions are defined on. You can talk all you'd like about some made up "covenant" you said into the air one night, but it's a one way street: you BELIEVE in your deity of choice, without any actual reproducible sign they exist.

Saying they are, or does behavior factor into determining if someone is a Christian?

Seems to me many (too many) who post on the USMB fail to demonstrate even the most fundamental tenets of Christianity.

Your not that thickheaded Wry Catcher. You know people become christian, or any other religion, by personal choice.

Do you have any posts by someone who is an avowed christian that you think violates the fundamental tenents of Christianity? Can you please explain what tenent and how its being violated with your link.

Thanks in advance.

Christians aren't perfect people. Just forgiven.:eusa_pray:

forgiving others goes along with being forgiven.
It is not a one way street for Christians.
Most on the right seem to have lost that .

You only forgive someone when they repent and vow to try and stop doing the sinful things. Remind us when you have repented?

No RGS, that is not true.

As example:

When the adulteress was about to be stoned for her sins, And Christ said to the men getting ready to stone her, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone", and one by one the men condemning her, left.

Christ said to the adulteress, "your sins are forgiven, now go, and sin no more"

FOREGIVENESS was given BEFORE she repented.

Giving someone foregiveness BEFORE they have repented, gives the sinner a reason to repent, the strength to repent, the humbleness and gratitude for the undeserved forgiveness, to repent....imho. All other religions outside of Christianity require one to repent first, require them doing something first, before one forgives them but NOT Christianity....being loving enough to forgive, even without giving the person the chance to repent, is Christ-like....and is the most humbling and loving experiences one can live through, which then makes one change...and be brought to God/Christ...again, imo.

thus alluding to the reasons behind all the different sects: no one can agree. find the least common denominator between the sects, and that's your defining factor. In this case, it looks like Jesus has something to do with it.

So?

You don't all think alike.

Well, Muslims acknowledge that Jesus was a person, much like Cheney is a PERSON. When everyone says "believe in", they are referring to worship as a god. Christianity is defined by just mere belief. That's what all religions are defined on. You can talk all you'd like about some made up "covenant" you said into the air one night, but it's a one way street: you BELIEVE in your deity of choice, without any actual reproducible sign they exist.

Aside from the bible there is no proof that Jesus existed. Hence believe in and faith.
Unfortunately we have proof of Cheney's existence.

and jesus was not a Christian. He was a Jew. Those who follow Jesus's teachings are Christians.

Last edited:
Saying they are, or does behavior factor into determining if someone is a Christian?

Seems to me many (too many) who post on the USMB fail to demonstrate even the most fundamental tenets of Christianity.

Your not that thickheaded Wry Catcher. You know people become christian, or any other religion, by personal choice.

Do you have any posts by someone who is an avowed christian that you think violates the fundamental tenents of Christianity? Can you please explain what tenent and how its being violated with your link.

Thanks in advance.

I asked a question. Let me frame it, and then questioned my thickheadedness.
I was raised Catholic, attended public school but went every Wed. and Sat for Catechism.
The tenet(s) I had in mind, Love thy Neighbor and the Golden Rule. Maybe a bit too juvenile, but that's when (when I was a tween) I realized what hypocrisy was even before I knew the word.

Aside from the bible there is no proof that Jesus existed. Hence believe in and faith.
Unfortunately we have proof of Cheney's existence.

and jesus was not a Christian. He was a Jew. Those who follow Jesus's teachings are Christians.

Can we bet on that?

Thanks in advance.

I was raised Catholic, attended public school but went every Wed. and Sat for Catechism.
The tenet(s) I had in mind, Love thy Neighbor and the Golden Rule. Maybe a bit too juvenile, but that's when (when I was a tween) I realized what hypocrisy was even before I knew the word.

That is an extremely simplistic outline of the tenets, but you admit that, so we do not have to argue about that.

What most people do not get is that there is only one way to become a Christian, and that is not by accepting Jesus as your savior. It would take quite a while to go through all the relevant verses to explain what is required, but it can be said in one word, faith.

Most people have an inaccurate understanding of exactly what faith is, and they think that it simply means belief that Jesus died for our sins. The truth is that Jesus died for the sin of Adam, not ours. We are basically selfish, so we like to think Jesus died for each and every one of us as individuals, but that is not the truth. He died to free all of us from sin.

We become Christians because God made us Christians through the sacrifice of Jesus. Romans lays out what makes us a Christian in detail, and we can see that nothing we do makes us worthy of that privilege. God's grace makes us Christians, and we learn to love Him as a result. Our faith grows, and we start to do works that honor the sacrifice, not because we have to, but because we want to.

We are justified by faith, and that is a lifetime process. None of us is perfect, and we will make mistakes, but that does not matter, because the price has been paid. Salvation is a gift, but we have to remember that it is not free. We do not have to earn that gift, but just because we have the keys to a Mercedes that does not mean we can race the Baja 500. We have to treat that gift in a way that demonstrates our understanding of the value of that gift.

When we do that, we can gain the rest of our inheritance.

Thanks in advance.

That is an extremely simplistic outline of the tenets, but you admit that, so we do not have to argue about that.

What most people do not get is that there is only one way to become a Christian, and that is not by accepting Jesus as your savior. It would take quite a while to go through all the relevant verses to explain what is required, but it can be said in one word, faith.

Most people have an inaccurate understanding of exactly what faith is, and they think that it simply means belief that Jesus died for our sins. The truth is that Jesus died for the sin of Adam, not ours. We are basically selfish, so we like to think Jesus died for each and every one of us as individuals, but that is not the truth. He died to free all of us from sin.

We become Christians because God made us Christians through the sacrifice of Jesus. Romans lays out what makes us a Christian in detail, and we can see that nothing we do makes us worthy of that privilege. God's grace makes us Christians, and we learn to love Him as a result. Our faith grows, and we start to do works that honor the sacrifice, not because we have to, but because we want to.

We are justified by faith, and that is a lifetime process. None of us is perfect, and we will make mistakes, but that does not matter, because the price has been paid. Salvation is a gift, but we have to remember that it is not free. We do not have to earn that gift, but just because we have the keys to a Mercedes that does not mean we can race the Baja 500. We have to treat that gift in a way that demonstrates our understanding of the value of that gift.

When we do that, we can gain the rest of our inheritance.

I actually do remember the concept of "Original Sin" and recall thinking how can I be a sinner when I didn't do anything bad. I recall the Nun telling us that without Baptism a child would be destined to purgatory and never admitted into the Heaven. I remember thinking, "how does she know" and "that ain't fair".
Both simple observations, but observations none the less which lead to my conversion to Agnosticism.
If I believed my sins might be expunged by a supreme being might I act differently? My answer is I would not; I suspect many who claim to be "Christian" do so because it's the "in" thing in many parts of our country and some because they believe "confession" and being "born again" expunges past evil deeds.
None of us can know what happens at death, if a soul actually exists, or if there is a heaven and a hell. What we can know is that the good we do while living lasts, as does the evil, in the hearts and minds of those left behind.

Is it my imagination or are most christians wimpy douchebags?

Christians include the entire range of humanity: The Good, the Bad, and the ugly. Just like Jews and Muslims, agnostics, et al.

Of course telling others you're a Christian (or Jew, or Muslim, or ...) doesn't prove much of anything. Wearing a Christain Cross or the Star of David or a beard or burka doesn't prove much either (it's what's inside that counts).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back