What makes arguing with liberals so frustrating #1

The most infuriating thing to conservatives when arguing with liberals is complexity. Conservatives tend to try to boil everything down to simplicity, the argument always starts when someone says "it's not that simple or clearcut."

Everything, no matter how complex, starts with simple principles. If you understand the principles involved in a discussion, the complexity later on makes more sense. If you disdain the basics, then any argument on complexity becomes little more than special pleading.
...as when the liberal debater refuses to answer a simple "yes or no" question, knowing that the true answer will lay the groundwork to defeat their argument.

That's because those simplistic questions are usually some form of "Have you quit beating your wife?" and deserve no answer. Sorry if people don't dutifully fall into two easily identifiable camps for your convenience.

i find it interesting that people who post threads like this are surprised when others respond to them accordingly and don't take them seriously.

Actually, Menachem is usually direct and on the level.

But why did s/he decide to post a potentially board burning question is a bit shocking to me.

That is the kind of question I ask to promote partisan bickering! Not Menachem!

i don't know why you'd say that. any thread entitled "what makes arguiong with liberals so frustrating" is a troll thread.

and entertaining that type of nonsense is silly, imo.

and, frankly, his whining that one doesn't "debate" things like this is annoying.

Add what you said to the person who said it, and I find it a bit shocking.

This more along the lines of a hardcore rightwing fanatical bomb-thrower than someone that tends to have a habit of actually weighing what they want to type.

Maybe the Romney campaign hired Menachem to bomb throw a little?
That sucks, I wanted that job!

Everything, no matter how complex, starts with simple principles. If you understand the principles involved in a discussion, the complexity later on makes more sense. If you disdain the basics, then any argument on complexity becomes little more than special pleading.
...as when the liberal debater refuses to answer a simple "yes or no" question, knowing that the true answer will lay the groundwork to defeat their argument.

That's because those simplistic questions are usually some form of "Have you quit beating your wife?" and deserve no answer. Sorry if people don't dutifully fall into two easily identifiable camps for your convenience.

No, usually they are questions like "do you believe in the basic tenets of eugenics?" "Is the rate of cancer among women who have had abortions 3x as high as those who haven't?"

I see this over and over. Conservatives are for limited government. Just because we say we don't want government doing things where government is inept, counterproductive, wasteful or whatever, does not mean that we should shut it down totally.

Yes, we do need roads, bridges, highways, jails, schools, aircraft carriers, GPS satellites, standard weights and measures, courts, etc etc. Saying we don't need subsidies for crummy cars badly built and still with astronomical prices does not mean we don't need highways.

The conservative view is that the government should be a useful servant of the people's needs. However, you give it too much money, power, authority it becomes the worst sort of master.

Were you elected or appointed to speak for all conservatives?

Actually, Menachem is usually direct and on the level.

But why did s/he decide to post a potentially board burning question is a bit shocking to me.

That is the kind of question I ask to promote partisan bickering! Not Menachem!

i don't know why you'd say that. any thread entitled "what makes arguiong with liberals so frustrating" is a troll thread.

and entertaining that type of nonsense is silly, imo.

and, frankly, his whining that one doesn't "debate" things like this is annoying.

Add what you said to the person who said it, and I find it a bit shocking.

This more along the lines of a hardcore rightwing fanatical bomb-thrower than someone that tends to have a habit of actually weighing what they want to type.

Maybe the Romney campaign hired Menachem to bomb throw a little?
That sucks, I wanted that job!

well, i know he's not a "bomb thrower" and i certainly never said he is. but i'm guessing he hasn't played games and made dishonest comments about you and your posts. but that's cool. i was just pointing out that the nature of the thread is what it is.

bummer... i'm sorry you didn't get the gig being romney's point person. maybe next time he runs. :)

I see this over and over. Conservatives are for limited government. Just because we say we don't want government doing things where government is inept, counterproductive, wasteful or whatever, does not mean that we should shut it down totally.

Yes, we do need roads, bridges, highways, jails, schools, aircraft carriers, GPS satellites, standard weights and measures, courts, etc etc. Saying we don't need subsidies for crummy cars badly built and still with astronomical prices does not mean we don't need highways.

The conservative view is that the government should be a useful servant of the people's needs. However, you give it too much money, power, authority it becomes the worst sort of master.

The problem I see with your position here is that you seem to essentially posit that "the conservative view" is the only reasonable view, and that any "liberal" view is inherently unreasonable. The examples you give of "liberal" views are just as much a misrepresentation as the views that you complain liberals misrepresent about conservatives.

I am more amused by liberals than frustrated. I am amused that their inability to logically defend a point so easily morphs into personal attacks, strawman arguments, projection, cries of racism or (my favorite) a response similar or equal to "bullshit!"

Liberalism is (an amusing) mental disorder.

:eusa_whistle:

I am still waiting for Republicans to elect one of these mythical Conservatives.

The conservative view is that the government should be a useful servant of the people's needs.

This sounds like a liberal argument based on a subjective definition of "needs".

Hmmmm. My first instinct was to disagree with you and explain why you're wrong. But honestly, I got nothing. Very interesting point.

You mean like the way anyone receiving public assistance is a welfare cheat and all union workers are lazy, overpaid slobs?

This response will be the basis for the thread "what makes liberals annoying #2" But for now, all I can say is this is not a response to the thread and it is typical of the way Liberals try and turn the discussion away from the real issue into a matter of loaded rhetoric that totally ignores the topic at hand. which will be "What makes liberals annoying #3"

Don't think he was responding to the thread, so much as the person above him....

Some functions are better served by you as an individual, some are better served as a society

Which is the whole point of the discussion. If we can agree to be civil about the fact that both sides recognize there is a place for private and a place for government, we can more easily find where that place is.

I see far to many posts where the argument that the government is doing this function badly is construed as an assertion that all conservatives wish to burn down all the bridges, turn the schools into evangelical madrases and that we want to turn Yosemite into a superfund disposal site.

Really? None of you have answered my simple question. DO the Democrats control the Senate and have they controlled it since 2007? Not a single Democrat or liberal would actually post an answer to the poll question.

The most infuriating thing to conservatives when arguing with liberals is complexity. Conservatives tend to try to boil everything down to simplicity, the argument always starts when someone says "it's not that simple or clearcut."

Actually, both sides are guilty of that.

Also add into the debate the loaded questions such as the hypotheticals situations, the emotional plea and so forth and our political debate is loaded with attempts to demonize the other side. Too bad it does not produce the political gridlock that should accompany such slimy debate tactics.

Hypotheticals are the hallmark of liberalism.

"Old people will die if we touch ss or medicare!"

"Children and women will die if we don't fully fund baby killers!"

"If abortion is illegal, women will be forced to bear babies that will kill them!"

Really? None of you have answered my simple question. DO the Democrats control the Senate and have they controlled it since 2007? Not a single Democrat or liberal would actually post an answer to the poll question.

Yes the Demorats control the Senate and they have since 2007.

I am neither Democrat nor a liberal but I find that question based on the obvious fact of history. Why do you need anyone to answer that question?

Were you elected or appointed to speak for all conservatives?
Of course, I speak only for myself and my own frustrations in dealing with various personalities here. In any collection of people, from ant farmers to zoologists, you will find many who are wise, and many who are otherwise.

Yes the Demorats control the Senate and they have since 2007.

I am neither Democrat nor a liberal but I find that question based on the obvious fact of history. Why do you need anyone to answer that question?

You obviously were not here in 2009 and 2010, you see most of the board liberals have claimed repeatedly that without 60 votes in the Senate the Senate is NOT controlled by the Democrats. AND in the same breath will claim that 51 Senators or 55 as Bush had DID control the Senate.

In fact just recently the Press allowed the Democrats to proclaim that the current Congress is a Republican one even though the Dems control the Senate.

Hypotheticals are the hallmark of liberalism.

"Old people will die if we touch ss or medicare!"

"Children and women will die if we don't fully fund baby killers!"

"If abortion is illegal, women will be forced to bear babies that will kill them!"

Those are not "hypothetical situations" Those are " (probably) false accusations designed to make the issue too dangerous for conservatives to touch"!

Add into the misconstruing of conservatives principles and politics, the dislike of many of their politicians to be nuanced, and the fact that the Democrats/liberals appear to be the manufacturers/defenders of such policies and you have the classic 'hand-slap'.

Don't Touch our medicare, abortion and women rights you oppressive rightwingers! We know you want to eliminate it tofund your tax cuts to billionaires!

See how that works! Slimy politics!

Forum List

Back