What makes arguing with liberals so frustrating #1

Sep 12, 2008
I see this over and over. Conservatives are for limited government. Just because we say we don't want government doing things where government is inept, counterproductive, wasteful or whatever, does not mean that we should shut it down totally.

Yes, we do need roads, bridges, highways, jails, schools, aircraft carriers, GPS satellites, standard weights and measures, courts, etc etc. Saying we don't need subsidies for crummy cars badly built and still with astronomical prices does not mean we don't need highways.

The conservative view is that the government should be a useful servant of the people's needs. However, you give it too much money, power, authority it becomes the worst sort of master.

I am more amused by liberals than frustrated. I am amused that their inability to logically defend a point so easily morphs into personal attacks, strawman arguments, projection, cries of racism or (my favorite) a response similar or equal to "bullshit!"

Liberalism is (an amusing) mental disorder.

I see this over and over. Conservatives are for limited government. Just because we say we don't want government doing things where government is inept, counterproductive, wasteful or whatever, does not mean that we should shut it down totally.

Yes, we do need roads, bridges, highways, jails, schools, aircraft carriers, GPS satellites, standard weights and measures, courts, etc etc. Saying we don't need subsidies for crummy cars badly built and still with astronomical prices does not mean we don't need highways.

The conservative view is that the government should be a useful servant of the people's needs. However, you give it too much money, power, authority it becomes the worst sort of master.

I think for the most part all liberals and conservatives do agree on those items you mentioned. Clearly there are fringe on both sides, but for the most part, we are in agreement.

The problem comes when we talk about how the government can be a useful servant to the people's needs. For example, as a liberal, I am in favour of temporary food stamps and student loans for college. Many "conservatives" are against both of those, claiming it leads to big government.

So what do we do then?

I am more amused by liberals than frustrated. I am amused that their inability to logically defend a point so easily morphs into personal attacks, strawman arguments, projection, cries of racism or (my favorite) a response similar or equal to "bullshit!"
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......that's quite the list o' examples you offer.

handjob.gif

I agree get rid of foreign aid to Israel's genocide machine(all foreign aid), oil company welfare( all corprate welfare). Keep government out of our sex life, legalize prostitution and pot. And end our war machine.

I am still waiting for Republicans to elect one of these mythical Conservatives.

The conservative view is that the government should be a useful servant of the people's needs.

This sounds like a liberal argument based on a subjective definition of "needs".

I am still waiting for Republicans to elect one of these mythical Conservatives.

The conservative view is that the government should be a useful servant of the people's needs.

This sounds like a liberal argument based on a subjective definition of "needs".

You get right to the point, don't you. My needs are important your needs are not.

You mean like the way anyone receiving public assistance is a welfare cheat and all union workers are lazy, overpaid slobs?

This response will be the basis for the thread "what makes liberals annoying #2" But for now, all I can say is this is not a response to the thread and it is typical of the way Liberals try and turn the discussion away from the real issue into a matter of loaded rhetoric that totally ignores the topic at hand. which will be "What makes liberals annoying #3"

You mean like the way anyone receiving public assistance is a welfare cheat and all union workers are lazy, overpaid slobs?

This response will be the basis for the thread "what makes liberals annoying #2" But for now, all I can say is this is not a response to the thread and it is typical of the way Liberals try and turn the discussion away from the real issue into a matter of loaded rhetoric that totally ignores the topic at hand. which will be "What makes liberals annoying #3"

Liberalism is a mental disorder.... pretty much sums it up if ya ask me.
:dunno:

The most infuriating thing to conservatives when arguing with liberals is complexity. Conservatives tend to try to boil everything down to simplicity, the argument always starts when someone says "it's not that simple or clearcut."

Liberalism is a mental disorder.... pretty much sums it up if ya ask me.
:dunno:
While the above is a very annoying occurrence when trying to talk with "conservatives", the #1 is that my post early has been completely ignored. I mentioned common ground and did not attack or insult any "conservative" or "conservative" position and have received zero responses.

If you want to have discussions with liberals, it would help if you actually responded when they talked to you.

I actually have more big gov't liberals on the republican side who label me an anarchist for wanting the U.S. to get rid of certain expensive and inefficient departments and make sizeable spending cuts.

The most infuriating thing to conservatives when arguing with liberals is complexity. Conservatives tend to try to boil everything down to simplicity, the argument always starts when someone says "it's not that simple or clearcut."

That, and their black-and-white position on every issue.

:lol:

I'm sorry, I'm sure you don't mean to be funny.... but, seriously... on what planet is your bullshit based in reality?

Forum List

Back