What is Wrong with Voting Requirements?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Does anyone sincerely believe that encouraging more ignorant and/or disinterested people to vote is a good idea? I think that someone who can't be bothered to obtain a free photo I.D. isn't intelligent or engaged enough to cast a meaningful vote. I also think that, in federal elections, people should able to identify the President and Vice President or both of their Senators. Am I just being a Big Meany?

:lol: Doesn't help your cause at all, jwoodie, but whine away.

Voting regulations are fine as long as they are reasonable and place no undue burden on the citizen.

It's the 21st century! Voter ID is not an undue burden.

Does anyone sincerely believe that encouraging more ignorant and/or disinterested people to vote is a good idea? I think that someone who can't be bothered to obtain a free photo I.D. isn't intelligent or engaged enough to cast a meaningful vote. I also think that, in federal elections, people should able to identify the President and Vice President or both of their Senators. Am I just being a Big Meany?
No, you're just ignorant of the law, the Constitution, and voting rights jurisprudence.

Whether a state issued photo ID is 'free' or not isn't the issue.

Many older African-Americans, for example, simply don't have the required documents needed to obtain such an ID. Born during segregation, many were not issued birth certificates, or those that were issued were not promulgated and not valid today.

Understand that these are voters who are currently registered to vote, voting for the last 30 or 40 years, participating in every election during that time. To compel these voters now to obtain a photo ID that comports with new state regulations manifest as an undue burden.

This in conjunction with the fact that there is no evidence of 'voter fraud' to the extent that the outcome of any election will be changed, there is simply no Constitutional justification to disallow citizens to exercise their fundamental right to vote because they cannot obtain a particular type of ID.

No, you're just ignorant of the law, the Constitution, and voting rights jurisprudence.

Many older African-Americans, for example, simply don't have the required documents needed to obtain such an ID. Born during segregation, many were not issued birth certificates, or those that were issued were not promulgated and not valid today.

Understand that these are voters who are currently registered to vote, voting for the last 30 or 40 years, participating in every election during that time. To compel these voters now to obtain a photo ID that comports with new state regulations manifest as an undue burden.

This in conjunction with the fact that there is no evidence of 'voter fraud' to the extent that the outcome of any election will be changed, there is simply no Constitutional justification to disallow citizens to exercise their fundamental right to vote because they cannot obtain a particular type of ID.
And the bar/club that doesn't card its customers doesn't have any evidence of underage drinking.......because they don't check IDs.

anyone who plans to vote in an upcoming presidential election has four years to acquire an ID, so dont give me any of those, "Yo Mann, I am juss too busy to git me one of doze voter emancipation decloration Voter ID VD BC chit.

we have heard all of the lame excuses from the left about getting voter IDs! the long drive is a common one. the absurbity of all this, i said this before, how can anyone, legal, not have any form of ID? you even get them in High School! so dont claim that u dont have an ID and we are the racists for asking!

Not a problem as long as plenty of lead time and ease of access are part of the process. Those little issues got a number of states in problem. But not any longer.

The real vote will be on early voting.

wait till all red/purple states start allowing 3 weeks early voting while making sure that all that are registered are alive, then the left will have a cow,

And the bar/club that doesn't card its customers doesn't have any evidence of underage drinking.......because they don't check IDs.

haven't been carded for about 40 years, because I'm obviously well over the legal drinking age.

But, how do you look at someone, and say, "Yeah, he's a legal voter"

The left needs illegal votes to win in many, many cases. The thing that amazes me is.................I am a independent, and I do not want an illegal vote cast to cancel mine out. Why does the left? For all we know, were no illegal votes cast, GW might have lost to Al Gore in Florida.

And all this African American racism is nonsense with the ID. Are we to believe that where they rent never checked them out? If they own property, the tax man does not know who to bill? If they receive subsidies, the government has no idea who they are giving it to?

The argument is sooooo weak, it is laughable, yet they try and play it off with a straight face.

The left needs illegal votes to win in many, many cases. The thing that amazes me is.................I am a independent, and I do not want an illegal vote cast to cancel mine out. Why does the left? For all we know, were no illegal votes cast, GW might have lost to Al Gore in Florida.

And all this African American racism is nonsense with the ID. Are we to believe that where they rent never checked them out? If they own property, the tax man does not know who to bill? If they receive subsidies, the government has no idea who they are giving it to?

The argument is sooooo weak, it is laughable, yet they try and play it off with a straight face.
You're an ignorant independent, who clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

And these older African-Americans, don't fly? don't cash checks? don't have to show ID to use the EBT Cards?

Jones, these voters can easily produce the documents required.

Don't play that silly game, please.

You're an ignorant independent, who clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

No, I am a very smart independent who happens to have African American in-laws who realize you are blowing smoke just like I do. They are democrats, but are insulted by how stupid you think they are.

And these older African-Americans, don't fly? don't cash checks? don't have to show ID to use the EBT Cards?
And another ignorant rightist chimes in.

There is no Constitutional right to fly, cash a check, or receive public assistance – there is a Constitutional right to vote, however.

Jones, these voters can easily produce the documents required.

Don't play that silly game, please.
Older African-Americans are not alone in being disadvantaged by these un-Constitutional laws:

“By all estimates, those least likely to have a government-issued photo ID fall into one of four categories: the elderly, minorities, the poor and young adults aged 18 to 24. The Brennan Center estimates that 18 percent of all seniors and 25 percent of African-Americans don't have picture IDs.

To Get An ID, You Need An ID

In most states with voter ID laws, citizens must present birth certificates to obtain new photo IDs. Seniors and those born in rural areas, in particular, face a difficult time meeting the requirement because birth certificates weren't regularly generated in the 1930s and earlier. And many of these people were delivered by midwives, who often improperly spelled babies' and parents' names on birth documents.”

Why New Photo ID Laws Mean Some Won t Vote NPR

And another ignorant rightist chimes in.

There is no Constitutional right to fly, cash a check, or receive public assistance – there is a Constitutional right to vote, however.
So you are saying they can get an Id for the above mentioned but can't get an id to vote! Just more excuses.

You are a liar.

There are other ways of providing proof of who you are without the need of a birth certificate.

Forum List

Back