What is the problem with the USMB?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
I haven't been here that long apparently, but to listen to some of the long-timers here, this place used to be more fun. It's pretty fun right now and I don't understand what made it more fun before.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking. Was it less restricted? More restricted? More civil? Less civil?

I haven't been here that long apparently, but to listen to some of the long-timers here, this place used to be more fun. It's pretty fun right now and I don't understand what made it more fun before.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking. Was it less restricted? More restricted? More civil? Less civil?

The board is the same, it's just that people get tired of the nonsense and then romanticize "the way it used to be."

Only been here a short while but it does seem a little tamer than it was. A lot less flames and a lot less off topic posts. Go not gently into that night. :dev3:

There were few but very clearly defined rules, which were applied fairly evenhandedly. That made it a more freewheeling place. It could be brutal but the membership tended to police itself moreso. I had a lot of respect for the admin because, despite his flaws, he was fairly consistent. I saw posters take runs at him that would have precipitated bans elsewhere. Typically, mods - being human - will ban posters for taking runs at them that they will allow towards others. That generally didn't happen. And at times, I laughed as hard at events here as I ever did watching a TV show or a movie.

Now, the place is becoming bland and milquetoast, just another run-of-the-mill place. Bannings seem more arbitrary and inconsistent. Most of the posters who made the place amusing have been banned or have moved on as the leash got tighter and tighter. Now, it is being over-modded as more rules are implemented (and unevenly applied).

USMB will carry on, I'm sure. But think of this place as a TV show, say The Office. Seasons 1-3 of The Office were fresh, amusing, witty. Seasons 4 onward were bland, boring, stale, hardly many laughs. That's USMB.

the worm always turns

hits are the only reason places like this stay alive.

The hits will win out in the end

Forum List

Back