What is the greatest crisis the United States has ever had to endure?

What is the greatest crisis the United States has ever had to endure?

• Revolutionary War?

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • The Civil War?

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • WWI?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WWII?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Cuban Missle Crisis?

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Assassination of JFK?

• Assassination of MLK?

• Assassination of RFK?

• Vietnam War?

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 9/11?

• Total voters
Wrong side? So Pol Pot and the Vietnamese Communists were the right side?

Were the VC fighting in their own country, and with the popular support of their own people?

If so - then you had no right to interfere in a sovereign state.

The US never fought a war against Pol Pot.

As usual you lie. But then it doesn't surprise me that you are a fan of concentration camps, mass murderers and brutal dictatorship.

for a guy living in a country that owes it's total existence to us bunch of evil sons of bitches here in the old US

Um.....what are you talking about?

Do you think I live in Puerto Rico, or something?!

btw. I don't blame the US for colonising Viet Nam or creating the problem. I have spent a but of time in Viet Nam and know the history. I blame the US for entering the war, and for opposing the democratic will of the people.

Last edited:
We were on the verge of smashing the Cong. Then Walter Cronkite lied about the Tet Offensive. The communists knew right then that they didn't have to win. Just hang in long enough to let the American left win that war for them.
Yea, we were about to smash the VC much like we are about to smash the Taliban.......................Not!!

Same thing! The Tet Offensive was very successful, except that Cronkite lied about it. The Taliban was smashed, fragmented, then we stopped fighting them and started encouraging them.

In the 60s, we had Cronkite, today we have obama. Both leftists who think the way to world peace is putting America in its place.

tet was very successful? could you link that....or provide some proof of that....
successful for whom?

Yea, we were about to smash the VC much like we are about to smash the Taliban.......................Not!!

Same thing! The Tet Offensive was very successful, except that Cronkite lied about it. The Taliban was smashed, fragmented, then we stopped fighting them and started encouraging them.

In the 60s, we had Cronkite, today we have obama. Both leftists who think the way to world peace is putting America in its place.

tet was very successful? could you link that....or provide some proof of that....
successful for whom?

The Tet offensive was pretty much a complete defeat for the VC. But although the VC were militarily defeated on this occasion, the lesson most Americans drew from it was that the war would keep dragging on.

Its not even close.

The Civil War was hands down the greatest threat to the Republic.

The revolutionary war doesn't really count because until the war was finally over there really was no Republic.

for a guy living in a country that owes it's total existence to us bunch of evil sons of bitches here in the old US

Um.....what are you talking about?

Do you think I live in Puerto Rico, or something?!

btw. I don't blame the US for colonising Viet Nam or creating the problem. I have spent a but of time in Viet Nam and know the history. I blame the US for entering the war, and for opposing the democratic will of the people.

Communist dictatorship as "the will of the people". What a joke!

successful for whom?

If the US had been committed to finishing the war, it was successful. The US wasn't though. Tet was a loss for those wanting war, it was a disaster for fighting the Cold War and for public support of the administration:

http://ashbrook.org/publications/dialogue-hayward-tet/

By far, the Civil War was the greatest crisis

In my lifetime, I'd say the VietNam era. Assasinations, antiwar protests, race riots

Its not even close.

The revolutionary war doesn't really count because until the war was finally over there really was no Republic.

Bullshit. Even if the south won the Republic would have remained. It just wouldn't have been as big, geographically.

I can't believe none of you idiots have enough perspective to fathom what would have happened if the Soviet Union unleashed their nuclear arsenal upon us and that the ensuing horror would have been a million times worse than all that other shit combined.

Wow, just fucking WOW.

Its not even close.

Bullshit. Even if the south won the Republic would have remained. It just wouldn't have been as big, geographically.

I can't believe none of you idiots have enough perspective to fathom what would have happened if the Soviet Union unleashed their nuclear arsenal upon us and that the ensuing horror would have been a million times worse than all that other shit combined.

Wow, just fucking WOW.

The Civil War DID happen resulting in 600,000 American deaths

The Soviet Nuclear attack MIGHT have happened....but didn't

By far, the Civil War was the greatest crisis

In my lifetime, I'd say the VietNam era. Assasinations, antiwar protests, race riots

In my lifetime? I'd have to say the Carter presidency.

Why Carters presidency?

What events happened during the Carter era that would overshadow 9-11?

The complete decline of America's standing in the world. Stagflation and misery at home.

A few highlights:

-) Iranian Islamic revolution and hostage crisis
-) Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
-) Nicaraguan revolution and spread of insurgency in Central-America

In my lifetime? I'd have to say the Carter presidency.

Why Carters presidency?

What events happened during the Carter era that would overshadow 9-11?

The complete decline of America's standing in the world. Stagflation and misery at home.

A few highlights:

-) Iranian Islamic revolution and hostage crisis
-) Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
-) Nicaraguan revolution and spread of insurgency in Central-America

These events had temporary impact on our lives. Carter was a dud as a president, but the damage was just temporary.

9-11 permanently changed our lives, led to two wars, ten thousand dead and a reshaping of our global mission

Forum List

Back