What is the greatest crisis the United States has ever had to endure?

What is the greatest crisis the United States has ever had to endure?

• Revolutionary War?

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • The Civil War?

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • WWI?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WWII?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Cuban Missle Crisis?

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Assassination of JFK?

• Assassination of MLK?

• Assassination of RFK?

• Vietnam War?

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 9/11?

• Total voters
it looks like you are on the way to a tantrum.

cuba crisis was defused.

the crisis leading to the civil war was obviously not.

the civil war doesn't even fit the definition of a crisis.

But you realize that now, so I look forward to more backpedaling. :thup:

Do you know the expression "When you're in a hole, stop digging"?

If you're going to use that analogy, you're in the hole and I'm filling it in. :thup:

manifold "daves" all over the thread because not everyone is agreeing with him.

mad fail yo!

I'm loving the fact that so many people are wrong and now unable to admit it.

I live for moments like this. :lol:

good for you.

i am going to the beergarden now.

continue living for this moment, yo.

Have one for me yo.

And hopefully you at least learned that just because a crisis was diffused, it doesn't make it any less of a crisis. ;)

As tragic and consequential as the Civil War and other events on the list were, I have to go with the Revolutionary War. The brave men who forged the Declaration of Independence and took up arms against their British overlords risked everything: their good names, their families, their livelihood, their property, and their lives. Had they lost and survived the fighting, they would have certainly been executed for treason and their property confiscated as was the policy of the Crown at that time. And there would be no recognition of unlienable rights, no American exceptionalism, and America would never have become the most free, most prosperous, most productive, and most charitable nation the world has ever known.

As tragic and consequential as the Civil War and other events on the list were, I have to go with the Revolutionary War. The brave men who forged the Declaration of Independence and took up arms against their British overlords risked everything: their good names, their families, their livelihood, their property, and their lives. Had they lost and survived the fighting, they would have certainly been executed for treason and their property confiscated as was the policy of the Crown at that time. And there would be no recognition of unlienable rights, no American exceptionalism, and America would never have become the most free, most prosperous, most productive, and most charitable nation the world has ever known.

I understand what you mean but disagree, mainly because the revolutionary war came before the US and therefore cannot really be seen as a crisis of the US.

I understand what you mean but disagree, mainly because the revolutionary war came before the US and therefore cannot really be seen as a crisis of the US.

Yes it did exist in the hearts and intent of those who signed the Declaration of Independence though it would be another decade before the Constitution would be ratified.

The closing paragraph of that document:

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

mad fail yo!

I'm loving the fact that so many people are wrong and now unable to admit it.

I live for moments like this. :lol:

good for you.

i am going to the beergarden now.

continue living for this moment, yo.

Have one for me yo.

And hopefully you at least learned that just because a crisis was diffused, it doesn't make it any less of a crisis. ;)

i am back to let you know that i have learned nothing new from this thread.

but it was entertaining seeing you acting like a total flailer.

The Civil War happened because of a major misunderstanding between Lincoln and the South. When Lincoln's advisors told him the Southern states were freaking out over the cost impact the slave issue was having on their economy, Lincoln knew he had to do something to prevent the southern economy form going in the tank so he told one of his advisor's, "Okay, you go down there and tell them from now on, their slaves are free!"

But Southern representatives misunderstood the message and the rest is history.

The Civil War happened because of a major misunderstanding between Lincoln and the South. When Lincoln's advisors told him the Southern states were freaking out over the cost impact the slave issue was having on their economy, Lincoln knew he had to do something to prevent the southern economy form going in the tank so he told one of his advisor's, "Okay, you go down there and tell them from now on, their slaves are free!"

But Southern representatives misunderstood the message and the rest is history.

so, the civil war was a result of a crisis and an ongoing crisis in itself for several years.

Forum List

Back