What IS The Free Market

Malls and gated communities have private security.
and what do they do when they catch a crook? How would you do private plumbing and electricity?
Most of the plumbing and electricity in this country is already done by private companies. The subject of how criminals would be handled is complex. You can read about it here:

and what do they do when they catch a crook? How would you do private plumbing and electricity?
Most of the plumbing and electricity in this country is already done by private companies. The subject of how criminals would be handled is complex. You can read about it here:

I read this several years ago. I've had this same debate several times over and the questions are always the same. But...but...but, with a lot of 'what ifs', and 'what happens when', it's always the same. Don't question what is, just stick to what you believe and attack, attack, attack. It's funny really.

Most of the plumbing and electricity in this country is already done by private companies.

not really, the govt heavily regulates to the point where they are not really private companies, and certainly not private companies who face competition and bankruptcy.

I think you are referring to public utilities, which are still private companies. However, they are government protected monopolies. There are place were utilities are not government protected monopolies, that have competing power and sewage companies. There's simply no need for government to get involved.

Last edited:

I read this several years ago. I've had this same debate several times over and the questions are always the same. But...but...but, with a lot of 'what ifs', and 'what happens when', it's always the same. Don't question what is, just stick to what you believe and attack, attack, attack. It's funny really.

People cling to the familiar and fear what the don't understand.

"What IS The Free Market"

Something subject to necessary and proper regulatory policy as authorized by the Commerce Clause.

No, that's fascism, not the free market. And the commerce clause actually authorizes nothing of the sort.

And, according the leftists, a "free market" is rife with those evil corporations and robber barons out to screw everybody who get in their way.

(Gee. Doesn't that sound like a bunch of politicians?)
Government's job is to put the robber barons in check. Yeah, unfortunately government our government has become the robber barons.

Actually, it's the government that works for the latter.
It's exactly the other way around.

Most of the plumbing and electricity in this country is already done by private companies.

not really, the govt heavily regulates to the point where they are not really private companies, and certainly not private companies who face competition and bankruptcy.

I think you are referring to public utilities, which are still private companies. However, they are government protected monopolies. However, there are place were they are not government protected monopolies, that have competing power and sewage companies. There's simply no need for government to get involved.
Has there ever been a time when two public utility companies might not have competed, sort of the old sweetheart competition. If they do not compete do they have a monopoly and should be regulated?

I think you are referring to public utilities, which are still private companies. However, they are government protected monopolies. However, there are place were they are not government protected monopolies, that have competing power and sewage companies. There's simply no need for government to get involved.
Has there ever been a time when two public utility companies might not have competed, sort of the old sweetheart competition. If they do not compete do they have a monopoly and should be regulated?
Westinghouse and Edison Electric both competed fiercely in the early days of the electric industry. In many cities cable companies have to compete.

And, according the leftists, a "free market" is rife with those evil corporations and robber barons out to screw everybody who get in their way.

Government's job is to put the robber barons in check. Yeah, unfortunately government our government has become the robber barons.

What part of government employees is confusing? There is no "person" named government the owner of this group is the people. Therefore government employees work for the people.

What part of government employees is confusing? There is no "person" named government the owner of this group is the people. Therefore government employees work for the people.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have they? Or is it in fact that robber barons have flooded the market and go in cahoots with other business and owners to be the ones getting the work and putting more money in their pocket instead of actually letting the lowest bidder get a job? So maybe just maybe the government is just trying to protect the honest hard working Americans and business owners. Now of course not all corporations are corrupt and evil but too many owners really only care about themselves when they put on a front for the world to see. I see it all over the place..

You're delusional. That's government propaganda. We work for the government. We are all subjects of the USA Empire.

Have they? Or is it in fact that robber barons have flooded the market and go in cahoots with other business and owners to be the ones getting the work and putting more money in their pocket instead of actually letting the lowest bidder get a job? So maybe just maybe the government is just trying to protect the honest hard working Americans and business owners. Now of course not all corporations are corrupt and evil but too many owners really only care about themselves when they put on a front for the world to see. I see it all over the place..
Sure there are levels of gray. Some government employees do their jobs, other's don't. I was talking about the government job of breaking up monopolies & oligopolies. Which clearly no longer happens. The new meme is said monopolies & oligopolies are "to big to fail."

You're delusional. That's government propaganda. We work for the government. We are all subjects of the USA Empire.
I don't accept the meme that our government is my master. You can if you like. Me, I'll die defending my liberty.

Open your mind bud. The propaganda that has corrupt your mind is the same as you calling others delusional for believing in a system designed to protect. If you just bad mouth it instead of trying to work with it of course people are going to start to believe it is all bad propaganda. We are an empire but a necessary one designed to protect from evil, which as of late of course isn't doing the best job... I don't work for the government and neither do you. Although you could if you wanted too. If you call paying taxes working for the government, that my friend is delusional. Who is going to make sure the roads are clear and clean, the sewage you spew is being disposed of and contained without hurting the environment, so on and so forth. Now of course there are a lot of things that government spending needs be revamped but they try just like you and I. No one is perfect and we need to work together to figure things out.

I don't accept the meme that our government is my master. You can if you like. Me, I'll die defending my liberty.
Your liberty is gone. It's pure rhetoric, and nothing more. Obama has demonstrated repeatedly that government can ignore the Constitution at its whim. In theory the Constitution doesn't allow most of what government now does. Yet, there you stand blabbering about your liberty, as if you actually had any. You don't do anything without permission from the government.

Sure there are levels of gray. Some government employees do their jobs, other's don't. I was talking about the government job of breaking up monopolies & oligopolies. Which clearly no longer happens. The new meme is said monopolies & oligopolies are "to big to fail."
Yeah it really doesn't. There is really no competition for the select few oil companies and computer companies. But the problem is that they hold the patents and when someone owns and idea they simply get paid for it. Allowing them to sit back and collect and use their money to control. So yes they are too big to fail and no one could ever compete with their empires. So what do you do? You cant control them, stop them, or anything.. We can however influence them..

Your liberty is gone. It's pure rhetoric, and nothing more. Obama has demonstrated repeatedly that government can ignore the Constitution at its whim. In theory the Constitution doesn't allow most of what government now does. Yet, there you stand blabbering about your liberty, as if you actually had any. You don't do anything without permission from the government.
Hmm think about this... You don't like the government controlling you.. You despise it!! Put yourself in his position once. Would you want your congress holding you back all the time? the only thing rhetoric is you :/.. Now of course I don't agree with everything that man does but you could not sit in his position for more than a second without going crazy. WE ARE ALL HUMAN!!

While I understand your rhetoric... In truth, I do whatever the hell I want to do. I have a way around every single government hurdle. I take orders from no man. Name ONE THING I do with because I have permission from the government. I do what I want, when I want to.

Unfortunately the constitution was changed to allow what is going on. While you may wish it wasn't changed... it was.

. There is really no competition for the select few oil companies and computer companies..

you don't seem very intelligent. You must be a liberal. Can you name the computer company that has no competition? See what I mean?

Forum List

Back