What IS The Free Market

Oh I don't seem intelligent
. There is really no competition for the select few oil companies and computer companies..

you don't seem very intelligent. You must be a liberal. Can you name the computer company that has no competition? See what I mean?
OOOH I don't seem intelligent huh?? You must not read very good as I said the select FEW can companies as in plural... But just off the top of my head yes I know there are a more than since few only refers to 3. hmm lets see. you got IBM, Dell, HP, ASUS, Apple, and a few more. But I was really referring to operating systems like Microsoft and apple and lynux. But unless you are a programmer really the only predominant ones are Microsoft and Apple. So please talk to me a bit more about intelligence. Or do you prefer to not read what is actually wrote? Here is a thought. Before you criticize someone why not ask them if there was a deeper meaning to what was said. Its all about the supply and demand. If they know they can demand the price they will. What you don't think those companies talk and try to figure out how much people are willing to pay for things? Where there are few companies who supply such major products they know they will always make a profit.

lets see. you got IBM,.

dear, are you seriously saying IBM has no competition? Do you see why we say a liberal will lack intelligence?
There was a time when IBM had no competition, but that was back in the days when our government did their job of breaking up monopolies.

Currently Microsoft has a monopoly on the desktop operating system and office software markets.

lets see. you got IBM,.

dear, are you seriously saying IBM has no competition? Do you see why we say a liberal will lack intelligence?
Dude are you serious?! where in that statement did I single out IBM saying they had no competition. Way to go bud! keep extracting stuff to make yourself look good. AS RKMbrown stated Microsoft has the monopoly of course with a little competition from apple. I am not a liberal.. What are you? A follower of a party that blindly agree to anything they put in front of your face?

[/QUOTE]
While I understand your rhetoric... In truth, I do whatever the hell I want to do. I have a way around every single government hurdle. I take orders from no man. Name ONE THING I do with because I have permission from the government. I do what I want, when I want to.

Unfortunately the constitution was changed to allow what is going on. While you may wish it wasn't changed... it was.[/QUOTE]

Driving: Government permission slip
Marriage: Government permission slip
Leaving the country: Government permission slip
Voting: Government permission slip
Boarding an airplane: Government approval

Shall I go on?

Do you want me start listing things that can happen to you even you have committed no crime?

Someone mentioned "lowest bidder" and I wanted to heave the contents of my stomach.

What a load of crap that is!

Put out bids for contracts on which the cheapest goods will be used to complete the goal. To hell with quality and durability.

I remember something in California a while back after one of their routine earthquakes. Instead of Lowest Bidder, they gave the contract out with incentives - get it done on time - or earlier - and earn more. Also had some very strict structural requirements and incentive to use the best quality steel and contract.

Came in way early and far under estimated cost.

You're delusional. That's government propaganda. We work for the government. We are all subjects of the USA Empire.
I don't accept the meme that our government is my master. You can if you like. Me, I'll die defending my liberty.

Go try to build a house on "your" land without getting the plans approved by the government. Then tell me how much freedom you have.

Someone mentioned "lowest bidder" and I wanted to heave the contents of my stomach.

What a load of crap that is!

Put out bids for contracts on which the cheapest goods will be used to complete the goal. To hell with quality and durability.

I remember something in California a while back after one of their routine earthquakes. Instead of Lowest Bidder, they gave the contract out with incentives - get it done on time - or earlier - and earn more. Also had some very strict structural requirements and incentive to use the best quality steel and contract.

Came in way early and far under estimated cost.

The materials to be used are normally specified in a construction contract. Either way, government didn't get it done on schedule. I private company did.

There was a time when IBM had no competition, but that was back in the days when our government did their job of breaking up monopolies.

actually govt is the worst kind of monopoly (slow, stupid, inefficient, liberal ). IBM was the greatest kind of monopoly. It had revolutionary products that everyone needed and could afford.
By time monopoly govt got around to looking at IBM capitalism in the form of MicroSoft had finished off IBM.

Dude are you serious?! where in that statement did I single out IBM saying they had no competition.

RickM19: "There is really no competition for the select few oil companies and computer companies.".
"But just off the top of my head yes I know there are a more than since few only refers to 3. hmm lets see. you got IBM".

now do you beleive as a liberal you necessarily have a low IQ?

You're delusional. That's government propaganda. We work for the government. We are all subjects of the USA Empire.
I don't accept the meme that our government is my master. You can if you like. Me, I'll die defending my liberty.

Go try to build a house on "your" land without getting the plans approved by the government. Then tell me how much freedom you have.
Bad example. I did build my house on my land without getting plans approved by the government :) I live out in the sticks. I did my own design. I was the general contractor.

Currently Microsoft has a monopoly on the desktop operating system and office software markets.

mono means one!!! There is Apple and Linux too. Thats 3 not one. Do you understand? Also, just as capitalism took care of IBM's wonderful non coercive monopoly it is now taking care of MicroSofts semi monopoly as the world goes mobile where MicroSoft failed once again to keep up.

Do you get it? Idiotic liberal govt monopoly is far too slow to keep up with dynamic capitalism.

actually govt is the worst kind of monopoly (slow, stupid, inefficient, liberal ). IBM was the greatest kind of monopoly. It had revolutionary products that everyone needed and could afford.
By time monopoly govt got around to looking at IBM capitalism in the form of MicroSoft had finished off IBM.
Microsoft finished off IBM? Link?

IBM created Microsoft and choose Intel, to create the PC market, to avoid being split up into parts like Ma Bell.

the folks in Cuba think they are free too. Its called the Stockholm Syndrome. Yes govt must approve your house plans but even worse if you want to put wood on your walls rather than paint them. Paint they are ok with. And of couse that is to say nothing of them taking 70% of your money in direct and indirect taxes.

mono means one!!! There is Apple and Linux too. Thats 3 not one. Do you understand? Also, just as capitalism took care of IBM's wonderful non coercive monopoly it is now taking care of MicroSofts semi monopoly as the world goes mobile where MicroSoft failed once again to keep up.

Do you get it? Idiotic liberal govt monopoly is far too slow to keep up with dynamic capitalism.
No. Monopoly does not mean exclusive monopoly across all markets high and low foreign and domestic.

Go to walmart and try to buy a computer with linux preinstalled instead of Microsoft windows. Microsoft was allowed to create exclusive distribution deals with PC manufactures. "pre-loads" at drastic discounts.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

IBM created Microsoft and choose Intel, to create the PC market, to avoid being split up into parts like Ma Bell.

thats too insane to bother with. $10,000 says its not remotely true!
You'd loose your money.

It's a pretty cool story.

Read some of it here:

IBM and Microsoft Antitrust then and now - CNET News

The Rise of DOS How Microsoft Got the IBM PC OS Contract

History of IBM - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
However, IBM soon lost this early lead in both PC hardware and software, thanks in part to its unprecedented (for IBM) decision to contract PC components to outside companies like Microsoft and Intel. Up to this point in its history, IBM relied on a vertically integrated strategy, building most key components of its systems itself, including processors, operating systems, peripherals, databases and the like. In an attempt to speed time to market for the PC, IBM chose not to build a proprietary operating system and microprocessor. Instead it sourced these vital components from Microsoft and Intel respectively. Ironically, in a decade which marked the end of IBM's monopoly, it was this fateful decision by IBM that passed the sources of its monopolistic power (operating system and processor architecture) to Microsoft and Intel, paving the way for rise of PC compatibles and the creation of hundreds of billions of dollars of market value outside of IBM.

Last edited:
Go to walmart and try to buy a computer with linux preinstalled instead of Microsoft windows.

thats because no one has wanted Linux badly enough!! and now no one wants a PC anyway. The world is going mobile and Microsoft missed it like they missed the internet, search, games tablets, cell phones etc etc

Forum List

Back