What Is It About "Obamacare" That Is Going To "Ruin America"?

Thanks for your Service!!

What's wrong with Obamacare? I am therefore assuming that you have not lived in the United States at all previously. What service has the government attempted to provide that is actually BETTER than a private company can provide that service? The answer to that question is a resounding NONE!

Hmmm. Interesting post coming from a USAF Sniper.. Where do we start, the list is in no particular order..

Military, Mail, Medicare, Social Security, Interstates, etc.. They seem to do quiet well taking care of Congressmen, retired military, etc.

Really? If you are receiving entitlements as a result of your service, are they poor enough that you would give them up for something better that you could pay for?

Last edited:
Seems to me that any type of change is going to result in people freaking out. Anytime you change a status quo loonies lose their marbles because you have introduced a new concept that breaks their long established habits. There is a lot of anxiety when anything new comes around. Think of how you feel when your routine is broken. Some people simply go apeshit over change. They'd rather stay in a messed up situation than attempt to try something new. its human nature.

Seems to me that any type of change is going to result in people freaking out. Anytime you change a status quo loonies lose their marbles because you have introduced a new concept that breaks their long established habits. There is a lot of anxiety when anything new comes around. Think of how you feel when your routine is broken. Some people simply go apeshit over change. They'd rather stay in a messed up situation than attempt to try something new. its human nature.

Its not all about change, its about bad change. Its about once the federal government gets its hands into something, its next to impossible to get it out of it if it doesnt work out. Its about local control of government, and not bumping everything up to the feds to spread the misery around.

Its not all about change, its about bad change. Its about once the federal government gets its hands into something, its next to impossible to get it out of it if it doesnt work out. Its about local control of government, and not bumping everything up to the feds to spread the misery around.

How do you know its bad change? You don't unless you done it before. Smart people first give it time to work. You put something in place and tweak it until you have it running correctly. Thats what real leaders do.

How do you know its bad change? You don't unless you done it before. Smart people first give it time to work. You put something in place and tweak it until you have it running correctly. Thats what real leaders do.

By that logic since I have never walked into incoming traffic before, i should give it a try, because, maybe, who knows? Give it time, it might work.

Any increase in governmental control that is not 100% nessasary is wrong, based on a strict interpretation of the consitution and my overall feelings towards government in general.

Your view of real leaders is not leadership, its knuckling under because you want something others dont, and more importantly, you want others to pay for it.

I do not want government control of health care, pure and simple. There is no compromise or solution that involves government control of healthcare that I will find acceptable.

Time and time again, I hear Republican politicians saying how "Obamacare" (i.e., the Affordable Health Care Act) will "ruin the country." They hardly ever say HOW it will "ruin" our country.

So that's my question: precisely what is it about the AHCA that will ruin our country? I would like to hear from those who agree with the objecting Republicans. Tell us specifically what it is about the AHCA that is going to "ruin America."

Obamacare is the first step towards single payer, government controlled healthcare. Government control of all things is fine for Europeans, because the European mentaility and model has always been power flows from the leadership (the soverign) and is granted to the people. People in the US are descendants of those who rejected that model, where power flows from the people and is granted to the government.

Government control of healthcare is about as unamerican as you can get.

Unfortunately the great American way of Healthcare to this date has brought us to a point where the average American will spend nearly $700,000 on healthcare during their lifetime. That is not per family; that is per person. So if you are married, you and your spouse will spend $1.4 million on healthcare.

This is the fact that people need to understand. Once they do understand this, things are going to change, and if that means single payer, then so be it. The UK has a fantastic system. Everyone is covered and it costs nothing out of pocket as it is all paid for by taxes, but what most Americans do not realize about the UK system is that they also allow for private supplementary insurance that has its benefits. Those who can afford it have the option of purchasing the supplemental private insurance. The bottom line is that nobody goes without decent quality healthcare, and people do have options. If you're a low income earner, you don't have to worry about whether you will be treated or not. Yes, at times you may wait a bit longer, but guess what? People in the US who are on Medicaid wait much longer than those with insurance, and Medicaid will limit much of what they accept as treatment for various illnesses. So what is the bottom line? The Brits pay less than half of what we do for healthcare. Imagine what a person could do with an extra $350,000 over their lifetime.

Time and time again, I hear Republican politicians saying how "Obamacare" (i.e., the Affordable Health Care Act) will "ruin the country." They hardly ever say HOW it will "ruin" our country.

So that's my question: precisely what is it about the AHCA that will ruin our country? I would like to hear from those who agree with the objecting Republicans. Tell us specifically what it is about the AHCA that is going to "ruin America."

Obamacare is the first step towards single payer, government controlled healthcare. Government control of all things is fine for Europeans, because the European mentaility and model has always been power flows from the leadership (the soverign) and is granted to the people. People in the US are descendants of those who rejected that model, where power flows from the people and is granted to the government.

Unfortunately the great American way of Healthcare to this date has brought us to a point where the average American will spend nearly $700,000 on healthcare during their lifetime. That is not per family; that is per person. So if you are married, you and your spouse will spend $1.4 million on healthcare.

This is the fact that people need to understand. Once they do understand this, things are going to change, and if that means single payer, then so be it. The UK has a fantastic system. Everyone is covered and it costs nothing out of pocket as it is all paid for by taxes, but what most Americans do not realize about the UK system is that they also allow for private supplementary insurance that has its benefits. Those who can afford it have the option of purchasing the supplemental private insurance. The bottom line is that nobody goes without decent quality healthcare, and people do have options. If you're a low income earner, you don't have to worry about whether you will be treated or not. Yes, at times you may wait a bit longer, but guess what? People in the US who are on Medicaid wait much longer than those with insurance, and Medicaid will limit much of what they accept as treatment for various illnesses. So what is the bottom line? The Brits pay less than half of what we do for healthcare. Imagine what a person could do with an extra $350,000 over their lifetime.

1. There are forums aplenty dedicated to the exact opposite of your statement

2.Where do you think the money you pay in taxes comes from?

3. So I will get a massive tax increase (which will be needed to implement single payer) and the to get real treatment above and beyond the mere basics I have to fork over probably what I am paying now for insurance above that?

4. and you are 100% sure this will translate over to the US how?

I would expand that to government at large. If you have ever dealt with state governments you would know they are equally as corrupt and most often even more corrupt than the feds.

put it this way, "at this moment" given a choice you are more likely to get a fair shake in the fed courts than state courts.

Its the fact that it is heart break hotel services, once you check in you can never check out.

and those who do not check in are forced to check in, 'services at the end of a barrel of a gun" and because it is a tax you will will wind up forfieting property if you do not accept their services.

In other words kiss your house good by when you are too old to work and too sick to pay their taxes.

its a fools con.

Last edited:
There is a provision on page 279 of the ACA which requires that Doctors must be addressed as "Comrade" instead of "Doctor" beginning on January 1, 2014.

By that logic since I have never walked into incoming traffic before, i should give it a try, because, maybe, who knows? Give it time, it might work.

Any increase in governmental control that is not 100% nessasary is wrong, based on a strict interpretation of the consitution and my overall feelings towards government in general.

Your view of real leaders is not leadership, its knuckling under because you want something others dont, and more importantly, you want others to pay for it.

I do not want government control of health care, pure and simple. There is no compromise or solution that involves government control of healthcare that I will find acceptable.

Thats not logic. Thats changing the point. What does a known potential danger to your life have to do with trying to correct a situation that will benefit people? Sorry but I think I know a little more about leadership than you do. Leaders frequently make decisions that at first are not popular but work in the long run because of their vision which the masses lack. For example Steve Jobs focus on the IPOD was not very popular at first but ended up bringing the company back to life in a big way. Its too bad you dont want government control of health care because there is not much you can do about it. Its was already a reality. This act just puts it out there so everyone can see. You do realize that we were already paying for it in high medical costs and taxes anyway right?

Last edited:

I would expand that to government at large. If you have ever dealt with state governments you would know they are equally as corrupt and most often even more corrupt than the feds.
put it this way, "at this moment" given a choice you are more likely to get a fair shake in the fed courts than state courts.

Its the fact that it is heart break hotel services, once you check in you can never check out.

and those who do not check in are forced to check in, 'services at the end of a barrel of a gun" and because it is a tax you will will wind up forfieting property if you do not accept their services.

In other words kiss your house good by when you are too old to work and too sick to pay their taxes.

its a fools con.

The difference is that if a state decides to go all haywire (even a city) people can "vote with thier feet" and still live in the US. Plus as a federalist I have less of an issue what states do as long as the states dont violate thier own consitution or the US constitution.

My issue is always with federal government being used to create things that it was never designed to run, rule, or regulate.

With 1,000 pages of the act and 10,000 pages of added addendums, etc...who knows? How could they pass this monstrosity without reading it?

3. So I will get a massive tax increase (which will be needed to implement single payer) and the to get real treatment above and beyond the mere basics I have to fork over probably what I am paying now for insurance above that?

At what point do you say "We are paying too much"? Seriously, when do people wake up and realize that paying $700,000 for healthcare is beyond ridiculous. How did we get to this point? Believe me, it wasn't the government's doing. How is it that every other country in the world can provide good healthcare to its citizens, in many cases to all of its citizens, for half the cost of what we pay? Do their people receive better or worse treatment for what they pay? You will argue that we receive better care here in the US, but overall it's not true. Some people may receive slightly better care, but they are paying for it big time.

Let me run these numbers by you again. $8500 per year per every single living person in the US, legal or not, multiplied by the full life expectancy of 78 years. That totals $663,000. Now think of this. If the average person works 65 years, then they have to foot this bill over their working years, so the cost per year actually jumps from $8500 to $10,200 per working year. That's per person. Now, we all know that not everyone pays that , so where is all this money coming from? Well, much of it comes through taxes already, but somebody is paying that. Obviously some people are paying much than $10,200 per year. The problem is that so much of this money is hidden from view as a lot of it comes from taxes, and a huge percentage comes from employers. Most people are clueless how much healthcare costs in this country.

Here is a something to think about; what would happen if we told employers they could no longer provide health insurance, and the government shut down Medicare and Medicaid along with all other government sponsored health plans, and then we just left it up to every person to pay their own way? In other words, every single working age American would have to come up with $10,200 per year, whether they had a job or not. Tell me what you think would happen.

At what point do you say "We are paying too much"? Seriously, when do people wake up and realize that paying $700,000 for healthcare is beyond ridiculous. How did we get to this point? Believe me, it wasn't the government's doing. How is it that every other country in the world can provide good healthcare to its citizens, in many cases to all of its citizens, for half the cost of what we pay? Do their people receive better or worse treatment for what they pay? You will argue that we receive better care here in the US, but overall it's not true. Some people may receive slightly better care, but they are paying for it big time.

Let me run these numbers by you again. $8500 per year per every single living person in the US, legal or not, multiplied by the full life expectancy of 78 years. That totals $663,000. Now think of this. If the average person works 65 years, then they have to foot this bill over their working years, so the cost per year actually jumps from $8500 to $10,200 per working year. That's per person. Now, we all know that not everyone pays that , so where is all this money coming from? Well, much of it comes through taxes already, but somebody is paying that. Obviously some people are paying much than $10,200 per year. The problem is that so much of this money is hidden from view as a lot of it comes from taxes, and a huge percentage comes from employers. Most people are clueless how much healthcare costs in this country.

Here is a something to think about; what would happen if we told employers they could no longer provide health insurance, and the government shut down Medicare and Medicaid along with all other government sponsored health plans, and then we just left it up to every person to pay their own way? In other words, every single working age American would have to come up with $10,200 per year, whether they had a job or not. Tell me what you think would happen.

Why should taking care of oneself via healthcare NOT cost a sizable portion of your income? There is a way for it to cost nothing, you take care of yourself. The reason it costs money is that it requires specialized people and equipment to basically extend a person's life far beyond what it used to be. The reason these things cost so much is the training required and the reliability of the equipment requred, plus the developmental costs of all these amazing drugs we now have.

I propose that if we even TRIED this here any money we save will either be returned in tax increases, or be lost due to decreases in service. Once the govenrment gets to control how much a doctor is paid, do you really think we will have people comitting so much of thier lives to schooling to become doctors, or speicalists? And if they do will they pariticpate in the low level plan or will all the best doctors be for the privlidged who can pay extra?

It's not going to "ruin" America.

Obamacare is the first step towards single payer, government controlled healthcare. Government control of all things is fine for Europeans, because the European mentaility and model has always been power flows from the leadership (the soverign) and is granted to the people.

Have you lived in Europe? All the Europeans I know are very happy with their nationalized Healthcare. Most think we are ignorant for not having a system in place here. Now we do.

People in the US are descendants of those who rejected that model, where power flows from the people and is granted to the government.

This has already been passed and accepted into law via a Democratic process, even though you may disagree, the majority see it as a good solution.

OK

From all of us working and contributing.

Assumptive. No one knows because it hasn't gotten up to speed yet.

Why shouldn't it?

Why should taking care of oneself via healthcare NOT cost a sizable portion of your income? There is a way for it to cost nothing, you take care of yourself. The reason it costs money is that it requires specialized people and equipment to basically extend a person's life far beyond what it used to be. The reason these things cost so much is the training required and the reliability of the equipment requred, plus the developmental costs of all these amazing drugs we now have.

I propose that if we even TRIED this here any money we save will either be returned in tax increases, or be lost due to decreases in service. Once the govenrment gets to control how much a doctor is paid, do you really think we will have people comitting so much of thier lives to schooling to become doctors, or speicalists? And if they do will they pariticpate in the low level plan or will all the best doctors be for the privlidged who can pay extra?

Simple reason is because everyone cannot afford to. Thats what this is all about. In order to take care of yourself the food you need to maintain good health should cost less than a meal at McDonalds. The reason health care costs so much currently is because of the combination of law suits, uninsured people, and bad health practises. The sooner people understand this the better off everyone will be.

Do you really want someone working on your health that is in it only for the money? We wont have a dearth of doctors just like it wont happen with teachers because there will always be people that give of themselves to help maintain health and educate.

Have you lived in Europe? All the Europeans I know are very happy with their nationalized Healthcare. Most think we are ignorant for not having a system in place here. Now we do.

This has already been passed and accepted into law via a Democratic process, even though you may disagree, the majority see it as a good solution.

OK

From all of us working and contributing.

Assumptive. No one knows because it hasn't gotten up to speed yet.

Why shouldn't it?

regardless of what the SC said, there is no mandate in the consitution for the feds to regulate and require healthcare unless it crosses state lines. If the states want to do it fine, but it is not for the feds to deal with.

Europeans may want the government to rule thier lives and tell them how to live, but America was founded on the idea the WE control the government, and more importantly we dont use the government to force others to live the way we want them to live.

Well, for starters it's extremely expensive and being implemented at a time when the US gov't has no money to spend. The website development alone cost us over $650,000,000. I work in advertising, and why the website cost that amount is beyond me (as I'm familiar with site development). If we can’t repay our bills the dollar will tank and we will be facing some very bad times.

Secondly, the bill will impose a lot of costs onto people of lower classes who can’t afford these costs in the first place. Have you seen the premium prices and the penalties for not paying those premiums? It’s bullshit. If your a person struggling with a minimum wage job, how in the world are you supposed to dish out $250/month for sub-par healthcare? And these high premiums assume that a large amount of folks will enroll...

Thirdly, the bill was drafted in large part by the pharmaceutical companies and insurance agencies. I assure you these are big businesses who exist solely to to make money, and that’s what they will do. However, now we won’t have the option to NOT pay them; we will be FORCED to pay them (and whatever the heck they’ll want to charge).

Each of these 3 points is an example of something that can do some major damage to the United States. It’s not a good thing in my opinion and should be immediately repealed..

Rumor Check: Obamacare Website Might Be Glitchy, But It Didn?t Cost $634 Million | TheBlaze.com

also nobody getting paid minimum wage is paying $250 a month

there are subsidies for families making up to 4x the poverty level.

so it just sucks that 2 of your 3 points are bogus....what a time waste

Last edited:

Simple reason is because everyone cannot afford to. Thats what this is all about. In order to take care of yourself the food you need to maintain good health should cost less than a meal at McDonalds. The reason health care costs so much currently is because of the combination of law suits, uninsured people, and bad health practises. The sooner people understand this the better off everyone will be.

Do you really want someone working on your health that is in it only for the money? We wont have a dearth of doctors just like it wont happen with teachers because there will always be people that give of themselves to help maintain health and educate.

That is ridiculous, considering the skill required for providing health care vs. the skill required to serve a Big Mac. Health care costs so much because of the skill required to provide it, and yes, the downside if something doesnt work out right.

And your whole "bad health practices" thing is another reason you dont want government control of your healthcare, because if they are the only option, they can decide what you like to do isnt cost effective and deny treatment. and who are you going to go to or use to stop them? You would be "paying" for it with your taxes, but they will decide they can deny you service. Dont like it? Go to some feckless burecrat to complain, they can probably wait you out.

I WANT my doctors to be in it for the money, considering how much schooling they have to go through. Teachers go through 1/4 of the training required for even a general practicioner, nevermind a specialist or surgeon. Of course we pay them less we either get less skillful people, or we lower the standards to justify lowering thier training.

Forum List

Back