• Other

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
When is enough, enough?

How much money do you have to have before you feel comfortable, and secure? For some it is enough to be happy, and for others it is two or three houses. When you have made more money than your grandkids can spend perhaps that is enough. When does the word 'Greed' get applied? The bible lists greed as one of the deadly sins, and is often talked about in the bible.

Is making money wrong? is owning a business becoming wealthy wrong? I don't believe so. I believe greed can be good in the form of motivation, but at some point it becomes wrong. What is that point?

I believe the amount of money or possessions does not matter when it comes to greed. I think that 'greed' is more of a state of mind. When someone has reached their comfort level and become secure, and then they set out to help others achieve the same status, this is what I would call, thwarting 'greed'. When the comfortable and secure decline to help others achieve the same, and actively work to make the achievement of security and comfort for others I believe that is 'greed' along with a slew of other wrongs. Among those wrongs is 'rationalization', one can rationalize anything, including their greed.

"It is easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for them to get into heaven"

What is your cut off? When is enough, enough?

Really not sure how to answer, will be interesting to see others response. I live in a one bedroom apartment. I do desire at times to have a bigger place, or a place of my own, a yard would be great. Part of me thinks its greed then? Is it? I don't have the money for that stuff, and/or I've not been wise enough to save for it. There always seems something to come up. Birthdays, holidays, family outings - everything costs money. Overall, I have more than I ever need even with a one bedroom apartment. I'm safe, have shelter, clothing food and blessed. So is it greed to want to have a place with a private yard someday?

Yes, when is enough, enough?

When it is clearly unethical if not illegal, to acquire wealth without giving something to the community. Like bundling bad mortgages, give them a high rating, get people to invest in them and insure them so you get even more money when they fail.

And then having the gall to have the government bail you out.

And some people are still saying there's too many regulations.

On a smaller scale, con men taking money from senior citizens, government programs giving disaster relief when they were not present when it happened, and have no property that was damaged.

Acquiring expensive possessions beyond one's means of paying.

I can't think of anything else yet, but I'm sure I can think of more when I think about it.

So should I choose "intent" or "other?"

When it is clearly unethical if not illegal, to acquire wealth without giving something to the community. Like bundling bad mortgages, give them a high rating, get people to invest in them and insure them so you get even more money when they fail.

And then having the gall to have the government bail you out.

And some people are still saying there's too many regulations.

On a smaller scale, con men taking money from senior citizens, government programs giving disaster relief when they were not present when it happened, and have no property that was damaged.

Acquiring expensive possessions beyond one's means of paying.

I can't think of anything else yet, but I'm sure I can think of more when I think about it.

So should I choose "intent" or "other?"

I would go with 'other'

When is enough, enough?

How much money do you have to have before you feel comfortable, and secure? For some it is enough to be happy, and for others it is two or three houses. When you have made more money than your grandkids can spend perhaps that is enough. When does the word 'Greed' get applied? The bible lists greed as one of the deadly sins, and is often talked about in the bible.

Is making money wrong? is owning a business becoming wealthy wrong? I don't believe so. I believe greed can be good in the form of motivation, but at some point it becomes wrong. What is that point?

I believe the amount of money or possessions does not matter when it comes to greed. I think that 'greed' is more of a state of mind. When someone has reached their comfort level and become secure, and then they set out to help others achieve the same status, this is what I would call, thwarting 'greed'. When the comfortable and secure decline to help others achieve the same, and actively work to make the achievement of security and comfort for others I believe that is 'greed' along with a slew of other wrongs. Among those wrongs is 'rationalization', one can rationalize anything, including their greed.

"It is easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for them to get into heaven"

Changes every hour and I alone determine it.
Allow government at the point of a gun to decide and you get what we have now.

Really not sure how to answer, will be interesting to see others response. I live in a one bedroom apartment. I do desire at times to have a bigger place, or a place of my own, a yard would be great. Part of me thinks its greed then? Is it? I don't have the money for that stuff, and/or I've not been wise enough to save for it. There always seems something to come up. Birthdays, holidays, family outings - everything costs money. Overall, I have more than I ever need even with a one bedroom apartment. I'm safe, have shelter, clothing food and blessed. So is it greed to want to have a place with a private yard someday?
Certainly not. A reasonable desire is not greed and your aspiration is perfectly reasonable.

Greed is having everything a reasonable person could want but not being satisfied. Greed is limitless gluttony. What you've said about your situation; i.e., contentment with safety, shelter, food and clothing means you have peace of mind. Greed is the opposite of that.

I share your feelings in that I'm content with modest comforts. Of course there are things I would like to have but I can get along just fine without them and none are worth the effort it would take to acquire them.

When is enough enough?

For some that word has no meaning.

Greed is a label placed on others by the less fortunate, ambitious, intelligent and successful.

When is enough, enough?

I don’t associate greed with just money so I voted “other”.

Rather, I think greed is one of our basic survival instincts and something we all have inside us. I find it to be similar to what “fear” is to our defensive instincts only greed seems to be more involved with a need to make sure we have enough of what we need or want.

And I’m not sure if we can call greed wrong unless we are talking about what is wrong for our own individual tolerance of our own individual greed.

I also find that many who accuse others of being greedy are usually just giving in to their own greedy nature to get what they want (not necessarily money).

In fact, I think greed probably plays a role in a lot of stuff we do but we simply don’t like to admit it.

Last edited:
Greed is a symptom of a neurotic personality, no less than gluttony or bed wetting or starting fires or exposing yourself to little girls on the subway, are symptoms of mental illness.

Greed is not to be confused with normal and appropriate self-interest.

well that's why it's one of the 7 deadlies

all too prevelant in a declining economy too, as we can read it betwixt the lines of much said here

greed has become an insudious pandemic in America in that we are to believe it good for capitalism, and bad for anyone who can't make that capitalist cut

i say we elect Hugh Hefner in 2012, and switch to lust

at least that's somewhat productive....

well that's why it's one of the 7 deadlies

all too prevelant in a declining economy too, as we can read it betwixt the lines of much said here

greed has become an insudious pandemic in America in that we are to believe it good for capitalism, and bad for anyone who can't make that capitalist cut

i say we elect Hugh Hefner in 2012, and switch to lust

at least that's somewhat productive....

Clearly gluttony is the favorite deadly sin of Americans.

Slothe is rather well represented, too.

Pride is one that is encouraged as is envy stemming from greed.

Let's face it, kids, this society actually encourages us to accept the seven deadly sins as good for the economy.

Greed is peanut butter and jelly.

Using your Metaphor, Lumpy, GREED is having more than enough PB & J sandwiches and still wanting to take the sandwiches which others have, not because you need them, but because you aren't happy unless you have more than everybody else.

Greed is fear written in economics.

It is a neurotic condition that effects the rich and the poor alike.

Last edited:
Greed is a label placed on others by the less fortunate, ambitious, intelligent and successful.
The ugly and rapacious nature of greed is obscure to those who are infected with and controlled by it.

Greed is not ambition. It's something quite different. Nor is gluttony the same as hunger.

536 people in the government recieving 2 trillion dollars in a year and still wanting to spend another 1.9 trillion dollars. Now thats as greedy as it gets.

I don’t associate greed with just money so I voted “other”.
While the compulsion of greed is not necessarily directed at money, money is the contemporary means by which the compulsion is most typically facilitated.

Rather, I think greed is one of our basic survival instincts and something we all have inside us. I find it to be similar to what “fear” is to our defensive instincts only greed seems to be more involved with a need to make sure we have enough of what we need or want.
Greed is to the survival instinct what the compulsion to rape is to the normal sex urge. The survival impulse is directed at essential needs and is therefore an instinct. Greed is directed to limitless desire and is therefore an orientation

And I’m not sure if we can call greed wrong unless we are talking about what is wrong for our own individual tolerance of our own individual greed.
Is this an oblique admission of total selfishness and/or an attempt to rationalize it?

I also find that many who accuse others of being greedy are usually just giving in to their own greedy nature to get what they want (not necessarily money).
Can you offer some examples, either actual or hypothetical?

In fact, I think greed probably plays a role in a lot of stuff we do but we simply don’t like to admit it.
Greed is a very specific and identifiable orientation, so I don't see how someone who is greedy could conceal it. Are you referring to those who are resentful of anyone who has more than they? That is not greed. It is pathetic misery.

Greed is when you think of giving to yourself more than to others. Not necessarily in financial terms.
Actually that is ordinary selfishness, which is benign in comparison to greed.

Think of greed as an addiction, a limitless compulsion to acquire which eventually deprives others of sustenance, such as the gluttonous hoarding of massive chunks of America's wealth resources by the super-rich is doing to the dying middle class and, ultimately, to the fabric and fibre of the Nation itself.

Forum List

Back