What is greed?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by spectrumc01, Apr 15, 2011.

?

How do you identify greed?

1. Greed is identified by the ammount of money and possession

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Greed is identified by intent

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. greed is a combination of both intent and money / possessions

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    When is enough, enough?

How much money do you have to have before you feel comfortable, and secure? For some it is enough to be happy, and for others it is two or three houses. When you have made more money than your grandkids can spend perhaps that is enough. When does the word 'Greed' get applied? The bible lists greed as one of the deadly sins, and is often talked about in the bible.

Is making money wrong? is owning a business becoming wealthy wrong? I don't believe so. I believe greed can be good in the form of motivation, but at some point it becomes wrong. What is that point?

I believe the amount of money or possessions does not matter when it comes to greed. I think that 'greed' is more of a state of mind. When someone has reached their comfort level and become secure, and then they set out to help others achieve the same status, this is what I would call, thwarting 'greed'. When the comfortable and secure decline to help others achieve the same, and actively work to make the achievement of security and comfort for others I believe that is 'greed' along with a slew of other wrongs. Among those wrongs is 'rationalization', one can rationalize anything, including their greed.

"It is easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for them to get into heaven"

What is your cut off? When is enough, enough?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Really not sure how to answer, will be interesting to see others response. I live in a one bedroom apartment. I do desire at times to have a bigger place, or a place of my own, a yard would be great. Part of me thinks its greed then? Is it? I don't have the money for that stuff, and/or I've not been wise enough to save for it. There always seems something to come up. Birthdays, holidays, family outings - everything costs money. Overall, I have more than I ever need even with a one bedroom apartment. I'm safe, have shelter, clothing food and blessed. So is it greed to want to have a place with a private yard someday?

Yes, when is enough, enough?

3. MHanson

MHanson Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    When it is clearly unethical if not illegal, to acquire wealth without giving something to the community. Like bundling bad mortgages, give them a high rating, get people to invest in them and insure them so you get even more money when they fail.

And then having the gall to have the government bail you out.

And some people are still saying there's too many regulations.

On a smaller scale, con men taking money from senior citizens, government programs giving disaster relief when they were not present when it happened, and have no property that was damaged.

Acquiring expensive possessions beyond one's means of paying.

I can't think of anything else yet, but I'm sure I can think of more when I think about it.

So should I choose "intent" or "other?"

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    it's a genetic mental disorder.

5. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I would go with 'other'

6. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    Changes every hour and I alone determine it.
    Allow government at the point of a gun to decide and you get what we have now.

7. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Certainly not. A reasonable desire is not greed and your aspiration is perfectly reasonable.

Greed is having everything a reasonable person could want but not being satisfied. Greed is limitless gluttony. What you've said about your situation; i.e., contentment with safety, shelter, food and clothing means you have peace of mind. Greed is the opposite of that.

I share your feelings in that I'm content with modest comforts. Of course there are things I would like to have but I can get along just fine without them and none are worth the effort it would take to acquire them.

For some that word has no meaning.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy TRANSFER!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Greed is a label placed on others by the less fortunate, ambitious, intelligent and successful.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy TRANSFER!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    ...or a term used for motivating reassurance by the jealous.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Mr_Rockhead

Mr_Rockhead Slouching toward Medicare

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I don’t associate greed with just money so I voted “other”.

Rather, I think greed is one of our basic survival instincts and something we all have inside us. I find it to be similar to what “fear” is to our defensive instincts only greed seems to be more involved with a need to make sure we have enough of what we need or want.

And I’m not sure if we can call greed wrong unless we are talking about what is wrong for our own individual tolerance of our own individual greed.

I also find that many who accuse others of being greedy are usually just giving in to their own greedy nature to get what they want (not necessarily money).

In fact, I think greed probably plays a role in a lot of stuff we do but we simply don’t like to admit it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011