What is a Royal Marine?

The Commando Spirit

The four elements of Commando Spirit; courage, determination, unselfishness, and cheerfulness in the face of adversity, are well known to all recruits by the time they complete Commando training. But these constituents of the ‘Commando Spirit’ are what make us individual ‘commandos’. What shapes the way we then work as a team, giving the Royal Marines its special identity, the way we carry out our duties, is a second set of group values laid out below. They should seem quite familiar. It is the combination of individual Commando Spirit qualities, coupled with these group values, that together forms our Royal Marines ethos.

Royal Marines Ethos = Individual Commando Spirit + Collective Group Values
•

Courage

• Unity
• Determination
• Adaptability
• Unselfishness
• Humility
• Cheerfulness
• Professional Standards
• Fortitude
• Commando Humour

You are my hero!

A Royal Marine? Second only to a US MARINE in the ability to kill and generally raise hell with an enemy designated as their target. If a Royal Marine knew both of his parents, he could be a US MARINE and a US NAVY Corpsman could baby sit him too. That's basically the only difference. Except for Bootneck. He's a one-man killing machine by day, ladies' man by night and rumor has it, he has physically seen both of his parents in the same room at the same time.

Last edited:
Hey Boot, don't forget your jacket!

F2183-1.jpg

I bet these hats come in handy if you want to nod off for a few, whilst still appearing at attention.

sb10068047cf-001.jpg

Last edited:
EZ and Bootneck, sittin' in a tree... K I S S I N G, first comes love, then comes marriage.... how does the rest of that go?

Forum List

Back