What if there had been no slaves in America?

Would blacks still claim to be oppressed? Would we have race baiters?

Well I would like to ask in what fantasy world would that have ever have been an option? I love alternative worlds, science fiction. Le's say, Africans developed technology like gun powder and fire arms and also developed steam or even alternative forms of energy, Let's say black Africans suddenly had this sense of superiority and they invaded Europe and took whites as slaves. And bought and sold them as chattel. There are supposedly a unlimited number of universes. So the good and the bad depends on the reality and the universe you live in.

I did ask the OP waaay back at the start what he meant by the opening premise --- whether it's a question of what if there had been no slavery in the US, presumably while it continued to operate the economies of nations south of us as well as in territories we later acquired --- or whether he meant what if the entire Americas, both continents, had never done it.

Both of those open other alternate universes and histories (Yuge ones) but I never got an answer on that.
Fatter o' mact I think the OP abandoned his own thread. Mayhaps the question was too bigly for him.

Answered your intentionally dumb question earlier on the thread.

Nope, you never touched it at all.

We are left to assume you can't handle it because it's completely over your head, which would make you utterly unqualified to even start this discussion.

As you wish....

Well I would like to ask in what fantasy world would that have ever have been an option? I love alternative worlds, science fiction. Le's say, Africans developed technology like gun powder and fire arms and also developed steam or even alternative forms of energy, Let's say black Africans suddenly had this sense of superiority and they invaded Europe and took whites as slaves. And bought and sold them as chattel. There are supposedly a unlimited number of universes. So the good and the bad depends on the reality and the universe you live in.

I did ask the OP waaay back at the start what he meant by the opening premise --- whether it's a question of what if there had been no slavery in the US, presumably while it continued to operate the economies of nations south of us as well as in territories we later acquired --- or whether he meant what if the entire Americas, both continents, had never done it.

Both of those open other alternate universes and histories (Yuge ones) but I never got an answer on that.
Fatter o' mact I think the OP abandoned his own thread. Mayhaps the question was too bigly for him.

We are left to assume you can't handle it because it's completely over your head, which would make you utterly unqualified to even start this discussion.

As you wish....

Here's the closest you ever came ---

Interesting "what if"...I expect America would have grown at a slower pace and if we are talking the kidnapping of blacks from Africa.....Africa would have stayed a stronger place and probably would have been able to drive off any colonization attempts by Europeans.

The OP never did answer my question about what he means by "America".

The vast majority of African slaves went to Brazil and the Caribbean. If he's suggesting what if the US hadn't had slaves but Brazil and the West Indies and Central America did, then that sets up one kind of economic contrast. Plus there are vast parts of what is now the US that used to be Spanish or French territory. Would they have had their slavery going on, and then been forced to cease once they became part of the US?

Or is he asking what if African slaves had never been brought to ANY part of America? Because that opens up an entirely different scenario.

I'm starting to wonder if the OP (and a few others) are aware that African slavery was far more widespread than just this country. You can't really separate one out of the whole and ask a workable question.

I thought it was self-explanatory. Personally, I've not seen many threads here about slavery in South America or Canada.

Needles to say, "how many threads you've seen about slavery in South America or Canada" is completely irrelevant here, so that sentence is dismissed. From what little equivocation is left it would appear indicated that maybe "America" means "the United States" and not other countries in the Americas.

And that, for the fourth time, leaves the problem of geocontext. This country -- what became the United States -- received but a small portion of the African slave trade. Far more went to Brazil and to the West Indies and quite a few to Central America and the northern coast (Colombia and Venezuela especially).

That's a huge economic engine, the parts of which are competing with each other. What happens if the US never develops the "King Cotton" economy? Does Brazil do it instead -- as they did once the world's cotton supply was interrupted by the Civil War? Does Brazil then become the rich world power of the early 19th century? Does it then declare "Manifest Destiny" and expand to take over Peru, Argentina and Ecuador? And what about the economies of Cuba, Hispaniola, Colombia? These do not and cannot exist in a vacuum.

---- or do you mean none of those countries have slavery either?

And then there's the territory we acquired after becoming a country --- the Louisiana Purchase for one Yuge example, Spanish Florida and the Mexican cession for two more. Those would have been Spanish and French territories before -- what happens to their slaves once they transition to the US? Do they just disappear?

Nope, you never touched any of this.

As you wish....

Interesting "what if"...I expect America would have grown at a slower pace and if we are talking the kidnapping of blacks from Africa.....Africa would have stayed a stronger place and probably would have been able to drive off any colonization attempts by Europeans.

The vast majority of African slaves went to Brazil and the Caribbean. If he's suggesting what if the US hadn't had slaves but Brazil and the West Indies and Central America did, then that sets up one kind of economic contrast. Plus there are vast parts of what is now the US that used to be Spanish or French territory. Would they have had their slavery going on, and then been forced to cease once they became part of the US?

Or is he asking what if African slaves had never been brought to ANY part of America? Because that opens up an entirely different scenario.

I'm starting to wonder if the OP (and a few others) are aware that African slavery was far more widespread than just this country. You can't really separate one out of the whole and ask a workable question.

I thought it was self-explanatory. Personally, I've not seen many threads here about slavery in South America or Canada.

Needles to say, "how many threads you've seen about slavery in South America or Canada" is completely irrelevant here, so that sentence is dismissed. From what little equivocation is left it would appear indicated that maybe "America" means "the United States" and not other countries in the Americas.

And that, for the fourth time, leaves the problem of geocontext. This country -- what became the United States -- received but a small portion of the African slave trade. Far more went to Brazil and to the West Indies and quite a few to Central America and the northern coast (Colombia and Venezuela especially).

That's a huge economic engine, the parts of which are competing with each other. What happens if the US never develops the "King Cotton" economy? Does Brazil do it instead -- as they did once the world's cotton supply was interrupted by the Civil War? Does Brazil then become the rich world power of the early 19th century? Does it then declare "Manifest Destiny" and expand to take over Peru, Argentina and Ecuador? And what about the economies of Cuba, Hispaniola, Colombia? These do not and cannot exist in a vacuum.

And then there's the territory we acquired after becoming a country --- the Louisiana Purchase for one Yuge example, Spanish Florida and the Mexico for two more. Those would have been Spanish and French territories before -- what happens to their slaves once they transition to the US? Do they just disappear?

You just want to play games. Go for it!

silence-is-the-best-reply-to-a-fool-quote-1-M.jpg

As you wish....

And then there's the territory we acquired after becoming a country --- the Louisiana Purchase for one Yuge example, Spanish Florida and the Mexico for two more. Those would have been Spanish and French territories before -- what happens to their slaves once they transition to the US? Do they just disappear?

You just want to play games. Go for it!

It's real context that would have HAD TO apply to your scenario. You cannot pose this question in its own vacuum.

As I said, it's over your head. You seem to believe that African slavery occurred here and nowhere else, which is not even close. And it indicates a profound ignorance of your own topic.

The simple reference to the United States as "America" kind of gave that away but I needed to confirm. So that got done.

Perhaps you'd like to take this angle:

Far more African slaves were brought to Brazil, the West Indies, etc than were brought here. So why is there no equivalent of the KKK in Brazil? Or in the DR? Or in Venezuela? Belize? Why didn't, say, Cuba have an epidemic of lynchings?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back