What if the Tea Party threw a Temper Tantrum and nobody came?

Derideo_Te

Je Suis Charlie
Mar 2, 2013
The Senate approved the legislation by an 81-18 vote; the House followed suit by a tally of 285-144, with 87 Republicans in favor and 144 against

It wasn't even close! Those numbers tell a story and it is not one that works in politics. The end result was a compromise with none of the Tea Party ransom demands being met and the Dems only giving up on the Sequester funding which was a long shot anyway.

So let the handwringing begin but when it comes to 2014 the Republicans words will wring hollow when they claim to be the party that is opposed to government spending after they wasted $24 billion on a fools errand. They won't be able to point to jobs either considering how many hundreds of thousands of jobs they harmed. They won't be able to blame the poor economy on the Dems either because what the Republicans have just done has harmed the economy.

If the GOP is banking on the "party in power" taking a hit in 2014 they are living in the past. The last government shutdown occurred when the media was still the primary source of information for voters. Almost 2 decades later we have the internet and a different voting demographic coming into play.

So this temper tantrum is going to have consequences in my opinion. Perhaps not serious ones but the polls are showing a serious negative downturn for the GOP and if they maintain the path of obstruction throughout 2014 it will come back to bite them.

Yes, I have been wrong in the past but this time around is not going to be a repeat of history in my opinion.

Forum List

Back