What, if anything, should be done to stop "white flight"?

Is white flight a big problem? Is gentrification the answer?

Why does something need to be done? People have the right to live where ever they want and can afford to.
What if the place you want to live is ruined by political policy?

First you would have to determine whether or not people left for the suburbs because of those bad policies or because they were successful and wanted a better life for themselves and their families.
Ohh I know

Of course you do. lol
Take Boston for instance Boston had a very large population of hard-working successful people and then you had a small population of welfare queen black women who made wrong decisions in their lives, failing miserably we’re pissed off that their child’s school wasn’t being funded by Democrats, Democrats saw they can use this loudmouth black women for votes so instead of funding their schools they decided to bus the kids from bad neighborhoods to good neighborhoods of parents that were doing the right thing. At the same time simultaneously as the whites are moving out the welfare queens thought they were winning Democrats immediately flooded their neighborhoods with refugees from Latin America and African countries that absolutely took their public schools to Third World levels, The parents took our wages and drove them down to the ground. Now we’re all fucked because of Democrats

Or, there was once a larger number of hard-working, successful people in Boston. Then with the improvement in both cars and roads, the idea of commuting became more palatable to them. So they moved out to the suburbs to have roomier homes, more spacious yards, more green spaces, less pollution, lower crime rates and a better life.

That left a vacuum. Poorer people moved into the neighborhoods. Investors bought up the homes and rented them. Renters have less invested in the neighborhoods.

As for the education, that can also be attributed to poor black cultural issues. Being smart in school is considered to be "acting white". When I was in college I did a paper on it. Many urban schools do not announce any academic award ceremonies, because many of the smart kids will not come to school that day because they risk being ostracized for "acting white".

Also, in the 1960s and 1970s, the prevailing idea was that good students would have an influence on bad students. Like a positive peer pressure. Educators finally realized that the opposite was happening. The smart students were seen as nerds and picked on even more. Many girls tried to dumb down to avoid losing popularity. So they started putting the smarter students in the separate gifted classes, and they excelled.
You make some good points, but that always happened. You still can’t explain why almost 90% left and all around the same time.

What kind of time span are you talking about them leaving? 10 years? 1 year? The 1980s were a prosperous time. It started a lot of white flight to the suburbs.
Many people in inner-city urban areas had successful times and they still stayed in the city,, They just moved to a better part of the city I grew up with a yard,, If you grew up in the neighborhood you don’t leave because you have more money maybe you make yours bigger maybe you expand your house maybe you moved to the next nice neighborhood close by so you’re near your relatives you’re near your mother you’re near your nieces and your nephew so your kids can grow up with these family members. I like your sound thou

If staying in the city is what you want, then go for it. For many, many others, the chance at the suburbs was a dream come true. Every city and town has changed in the last 50 years. Every community has changed. Some for better and some for worse.
Ppl are spending a million dollars for a house now in Boston residential neighborhoods when suburbs with big yard are 400-500 thousand a year.. what are you talking about

I am talking about wanting to live outside the city. Not everyone dreams of a house in the inner city. Houses in nice areas in the city are always more expensive.
Ok and so why did almost 90% leave? They been in Boston since the 1600’s what’s the reason

Modern society has made it easier to move, commute, and maintain contact with families back home.

From the 1600s to the early 1900s, if you were over 75 miles from your hometown, you rarely got back home. Make it over 200 and it was rare to get back. Contrast that with now. I gre up in Tuscaloosa AL. My children live in Cullman AL, Huntsville AL, and Chattanooga Tn. I am in Atlanta. Before the quarantine, I managed to see my kids most months, and talk to them at least once a week. I see my brothers (in Tuscaloosa) at least every other month.

I can be in Tuscaloosa in 2.5 hours. In the 1800s, a trip of a few hundred miles could take days. A trip across country could take weeks. Now it is a few hours on a plane.

The only communications until the invention of the phone was to write letters. (telegraph was too expensive) And that could take weeks. Even with relatively modern phone lines, you didn't call often because it was too expensive. Now I can FaceTime with my Grandson once a week.

We, as a society have become more and more mobile. And so we can live where we choose to live, not where we have to live.
That’s a great personal story, but doesn’t answer my question, roll tide

Yes it does. It is easier to move and still stay in contact with your family.
No it doesn’t you in reality want them to grow up together, it’s called family can you imagine if America just spread out like white flight lol .. your stuggling to make a logical point. Sorry

No I am not. I am explaining why people moved more in recent history than in prior years.

Once people grow up, they often move.
Yes some ppl move out now address white flight lol

That is exactly what I have been doing.
No you haven’t

I have addressed it in several ways. Both as a sign of changing times and as people moving TO instead of running from.
Great story

Yes, it is a great story. Thanks.
That some ppl move out but why didn’t they all
Proof that there are indeed stupid questions

One inconvenient truth is when a murder takes place, all the news has to do is give the address and the race of the individuals involved are rarely a surprise. I wish that was not true, but I remember being shocked that the murder victim was white and was shot in a predominantly black area of the city. Unfortunately, my neighborhood had a double murder shortly after we moved in, and it was committed by a soldier stationed at a military base 2 and a half hours away. Everyone knew he did it 5 minutes after it happened. His attempted alibi fell apart and he is doing life without parole. The victims and shooter were white although the neighborhood is thoroughly mixed..

And you do little to help yourself.
I was a child lol,, and why Would I leave just because you’re a coward doesn’t mean I am

It is not about cowardice. It is about the number of voters who want democrats in office. Your supposed "bravery" does not change that.
Democrats are in office for bad reasons, they destroyed education, don’t allow free speech, they promote a welfare state that controls the vote.. now when you hear GET ON THE MOFO GROUND! I mean get on the ground!

I was a child lol,, and why Would I leave just because you’re a coward doesn’t mean I am

It is not about cowardice. It is about the number of voters who want democrats in office. Your supposed "bravery" does not change that.
Democrats are in office for bad reasons, they destroyed education, don’t allow free speech, they promote a welfare state that controls the vote.. now when you hear GET ON THE MOFO GROUND! I mean get on the ground!

They are in office for only one reason. More citizens voted for them. That is how the system works.

And you have no authority to order anyone to get on the ground. Most people will likely ignore it. I would.

blacks:low graduation rates and high crime rates..they need to concentrate on those and not whites/cops/supremacists/etc

They are in office for only one reason. More citizens voted for them. That is how the system works.

And you have no authority to order anyone to get on the ground. Most people will likely ignore it. I would.
Yes they are in for the reasons a states and to late lol

You want to try rewriting that in actual English? I have no idea what that means.

You want to try rewriting that in actual English? I have no idea what that means.
They are for the reasons I stated

They are for the reasons I stated

The voters decide. No one else.

And I guess it is not too late after all. lol

blacks:low graduation rates and high crime rates..they need to concentrate on those and not whites/cops/supremacists/etc

This is true. Especially that graduation rates and attitudes towards intellect. I have to think that the ones who fought so hard in the 50s and 60s must feel totally betrayed.
..granted, what happened to blacks up to the 60s/etc, was terrible/unforgivable..also though, a lot of whites were against that stuff

This is true. Especially that graduation rates and attitudes towards intellect. I have to think that the ones who fought so hard in the 50s and 60s must feel totally betrayed.
..granted, what happened to blacks up to the 60s/etc, was terrible/unforgivable..also though, a lot of whites were against that stuff

The biggest change where that is concerned is that the white who were against it finally stopped being afraid. Now those sheet-wearing types are the ones who are afraid.

The biggest change where that is concerned is that the white who were against it finally stopped being afraid. Now those sheet-wearing types are the ones who are afraid.
Projecting?

Projecting?

Projecting? No. Not even close. I despise those cowardly sheet-wearing types and always have. I thought I had mad that clear.

You, on the other hand.....

Projecting?

Projecting? No. Not even close. I despise those cowardly sheet-wearing types and always have. I thought I had mad that clear.

What’s wrong with diversity of thought we’re not all supposed to like each other there is no law

Projecting?

What’s wrong with diversity of thought we’re not all supposed to like each other there is no law

Of thought? Fine by me. But act on those violent thoughts and you will be punished as harshly as the law allows.

I would also expect those who hide behind diversity to be more supportive of it.

Forum List

Back