What Has Obama Done to his Elections Odds by Endorsing Gay Marriage?

Does Obama's Endorsement of Gay Marriage Hurt His Election Effort?

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Not significantly in either way

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Obama is more honest than Romney?

On what planet?

:lol::lol::lol:

Laugh all you want. I dont mind.

But as Obama demonstrated today, he will say some things that will cost him votes because he believes in it.

Romney believes in nothing but getting elected and would say anything from 'I have been a life long member of the NRA' to 'The first day in office I am going to stop Obamacare from becoming implemented.' .

I call bullshit on your dishonest obfuscation.

'Lifetime Membership in the NRA
-Governor Romney purchased a life membership in the NRA. They point out that Romney has not been an NRA member his whole life and attempt to paint it as a lie. But "Life Membership" is the name of the membership. Romney never claimed to have been a member his whole life. They are perhaps confusing it with Romney's claim to have been a lifelong hunter - which is an accurate claim, although it mostly consisted of Romney hunting small game as a youth.'

Mitt Romney | Setting the Record Straight

Anyone with any intellectual honesty can see this. Imagine if you had just asked someone about it for clarification.

And you have absolutely NOTHING to base you claim about him not signing waivers for all 50 states on Obamacare on his first day in office. For him NOT to do so would be certain politcal suicide.

He's had THREE years to EVOLVE, but poof six months from the elections he sees the light..

The people will see this for what it is, just like everything else with man..A person with NO set convictions who will use anything and anyone to get re-elected...Even his children

Sarcasm is all you libs have left any more.

Jesus, you would rather cling to this self delusion that yourideology is the most popular rather than have accurate polls of what the electorate really thinks.

Pathetic.

Recent polling has the general population supporting gay marriage, though not by a lot.

You're really going to have to provide a LINK to that claim---:lol::lol: The overwhelming majority of democrats DO NOT support Gay marriage--especially those democrats that live in the mid-west and south of this country.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147662/first-time-majority-americans-favor-legal-gay-marriage.aspx

Sarcasm is all you libs have left any more.

Jesus, you would rather cling to this self delusion that yourideology is the most popular rather than have accurate polls of what the electorate really thinks.

Pathetic.

Recent polling has the general population supporting gay marriage, though not by a lot.

Here's where your theory goes off the tracks.

Ohio (62%), Florida (62%), Wisconsin (59%), Virginia (57%), Nevada (67%), Missouri (72%), Michigan (59%), Colorado (56%), and now North Carolina (60%) ALL have constitutional amendments that define marriage as only between a man and a woman.

The percentage is what their constitutional amendments passed by.

What's else do these states have in common?

Link

I think that's a fair observation. People who oppose gay marriage tend to be more intense about their beliefs than those who support it, and that shows up at the ballot box.

However, this election will be about the economy, not about gay marriage. The more Republicans focus away from the economy, the more they are losing. Fighting an election on gay marriage against a personally popular incumbent with a trillion dollars to spend won't get it done.

Last edited:
Nice electoral map tool:
2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College

This endorsement of Gay Marriage is going to cost Obama the South and most of the western states too. This puts Florida, Virginia, N Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado in the GOP column with another 72 EV bringing Romney's total to 263.

So Romney only needs either Ohio or Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire and Iowa together.

I think Romney will get PA and OH too for a total of 311 to 227.

Obama just shot himself in the arse.

I think a more telling poll would be "Did the announcement change your vote?"

My prediction, a resounding NO all around. This is a wash. IMO.

The calculation was this:

I probably have to endorse because my base is bummed & pissed and the base is what matters. Yes, this is going to fire up the GOP base too, but without my base I'm in trouble. Plus, Biden forced my hand the other day with his comments. Boy, I'd like to punch him in the nose for that. So, while I know this is risky, I have to do something, and this is an obvious choice. Here we go.

This has nothing to do with his opinion on gay marriage, whatever that may be. It's just a political tactic in an election season.

Obama is more honest than Romney?

On what planet?

:lol::lol::lol:

Laugh all you want. I dont mind.

But as Obama demonstrated today, he will say some things that will cost him votes because he believes in it.

Romney believes in nothing but getting elected and would say anything from 'I have been a life long member of the NRA' to 'The first day in office I am going to stop Obamacare from becoming implemented.' .

I call bullshit on your dishonest obfuscation.

'Lifetime Membership in the NRA
-Governor Romney purchased a life membership in the NRA. They point out that Romney has not been an NRA member his whole life and attempt to paint it as a lie. But "Life Membership" is the name of the membership. Romney never claimed to have been a member his whole life. They are perhaps confusing it with Romney's claim to have been a lifelong hunter - which is an accurate claim, although it mostly consisted of Romney hunting small game as a youth.'

Mitt Romney | Setting the Record Straight

Anyone with any intellectual honesty can see this. Imagine if you had just asked someone about it for clarification.

And you have absolutely NOTHING to base you claim about him not signing waivers for all 50 states on Obamacare on his first day in office. For him NOT to do so would be certain politcal suicide.

Dude, I know what a Lifetime Member of the NRA is since I am one myself, and have been since about 1995.

Romney stated this with the implication that people would take it the wrong way and think he was a life long member of the NRA even though he only got that membership in 2007. To put this in context at around the same time Romney also claimed to have been a life long hunter, which is more bullshit. “I've been a hunter pretty much all my life,” said Romney and I think there is no record of him having a hunting license anywhere prior to running for President and he admits to hunting only twice in his life.

Here is a more comprehensive list of Romneys lies:
CBS News: Who is the real Mitt Romney? He’s not as ‘plastic’ as his critics think » The Right Scoop -

ROMNEY SEVEN DOCUMENTED LIES ON AIR - CNN Jacksonville, FL in front of 5.36 million of viewers.
1. He denied accusing Newt of exaggerating/lying about his part in Reagan's administration only three days before on Monday night in Tampa.
2. He lied about accusing Newt of saying Spanish was a 'ghetto language' in an ad that bore his voice.
3. He claimed all his business was run by a blind trust, a tactic that Mitt himself called 'the oldest ruse in the book' in a previous campaign.
4. He said he voted for republicans in the past when there was a republican to vote for, but if you look back at the Gingrich ad exposing his lies, it turns out when George H.w. Bush and Buchanan were running, he voted for a liberal democrat.
5. He denied the cost of Romneycare to taxpayers in Massachusetts. “Half of those people got insurance on their own. Others got help in buying the insurance.”
False. In fact, 98% of the additional people insured after Romneycare was passed have it paid for or subsidized by the federal government or Massachusetts government. Of the 412,000 additional people who had health insurance in 2010 who did not have it in June 2006 (pre-reform), only 7K of the 412K (1.7%) had unsubsidized health insurance. The rest were covered through Medicaid, Commonwealth Care, or a program of subsidized care for the unemployed.
6. He denied the impact of Romney care on citizens of Massachusetts. Romneycare has increased the price of healthcare premiums for every citizen of Massachusetts. Premiums have increased by 55 percent since Mitt Romney became Governor, a rate 13 points higher than the national average and the third highest growth rate among the states.
7. He said he lowered taxes in Massachusetts 19 times. Yet he raised fees and corporate taxes twice. No wonder Massachusetts was rated near the bottom (47-49th) in job and business growth.

The same comment has detailed descriptions with links to a host of more Romnney lies.

And on top of all that he spent tens of millions of dollars smearing long respected conservative leaders so that his own record of liberal governance would not be the subject of discussion during the primaries, and his people were the ones that handled the Couric interview of Palin, set her up to look stupid so their man would not have her as a competitor in this election.

Romney is a villanous lying two-faced bastard and he is making complete fools of conservatives in the US.

Even so, I *will* vote for the sleazeball in order to put someone in the WH that promises he is not going to support gay marriage. If he does it is a one term Presidency and he knows it

Last edited:
This is how god feels about gay marriage!

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)''

God-Hates-Fags.jpg

Last edited:

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

that is ONE religion.

We are not a country of ONE religion now are we?

Here's where your theory goes off the tracks.

Ohio (62%), Florida (62%), Wisconsin (59%), Virginia (57%), Nevada (67%), Missouri (72%), Michigan (59%), Colorado (56%), and now North Carolina (60%) ALL have constitutional amendments that define marriage as only between a man and a woman.

The percentage is what their constitutional amendments passed by.

What's else do these states have in common?

Link

I think that's a fair observation. People who oppose gay marriage tend to be more intense about their beliefs than those who support it, and that shows up at the ballot box.

However, this election will be about the economy, not about gay marriage. The more Republicans focus away from the economy, the more they are losing. Fighting an election on gay marriage against a personally popular incumbent with a trillion dollars to spend won't get it done.

Yup. This election is gonna be all about the economy. Folks are gonna vote with their pocketbooks.

Gay marriage and all that other exteraneous bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

The Reps need to kick that shit to the curb and go after Barrys record and the oh so sluggish economy.

Nice electoral map tool:

This endorsement of Gay Marriage is going to cost Obama the South and most of the western states too. This puts Florida, Virginia, N Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado in the GOP column with another 72 EV bringing Romney's total to 263.

So Romney only needs either Ohio or Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire and Iowa together.

Meh, not so much.

Colorado is actually pretty liberal. Florida is actually kind of moderate.

I also don't think this puts PA in play.

The kind of people who were going to vote because they hate the gheys so much were the kind who weren't going to vote for Obama anyway.

This will still be about the economy.

Yup. This election is gonna be all about the economy. Folks are gonna vote with their pocketbooks.

Gay marriage and all that other exteraneous bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

The Reps need to kick that shit to the curb and go after Barrys record and the oh so sluggish economy.

The problem is, they picked the wrong candidate to carry that message.

You don't go to a populace worried about a pink slip and then nominate a guy whose biggest worry was whether he would have enough of them.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

Which god?

Whose god?

That same book has these little gems.

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. -- Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Exodus 22:18
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Leviticus 11:9-12
These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

So according to Matthew's bible, rape victims should be executed, witches should be killed and eating shellfish is an abomination.

Yup, sounds like a book just full of solid advice we should ignore.

I think you guys are VASTLY over-estimating the number of Obama supporters who will flip because of this.

I don't know how many Latino's were planning on voting for Obama--but I imagine since they typically have a very strong Catholic base--that many are looking at Romney tomorrow a little more seriously--along with many democrats who do not--nor would not approve of same sex marriage.

Again--Barack Obama could not have handed Mitt Romney a better gift.

If that were the case, then why do so many hispanics support the Democrats today? Most are Catholic, right? The Democrats are hot and heavy on abortion rights and have been for a hell of a long time. Catholic hispanics are not going to dump Obama over this infraction if they didn't dump Dems over their love of abortion rights.

Immie

I don't know how many Latino's were planning on voting for Obama--but I imagine since they typically have a very strong Catholic base--that many are looking at Romney tomorrow a little more seriously--along with many democrats who do not--nor would not approve of same sex marriage.

Again--Barack Obama could not have handed Mitt Romney a better gift.

I'm assuming Romney will offer them all amnesty, and that will be that.

No? You think not.

Yeah. I didn't really think so either.

Newsflash: people who get to vote are citizens and thus don't need amnesty.

Are you sure about that? Why do you think the Dems are so opposed to picture ids?

Immie

Nice electoral map tool:

I think a more telling poll would be "Did the announcement change your vote?"

My prediction, a resounding NO all around. This is a wash. IMO.

Agreed, with a caviat...there will always be a few of limited discernment and intellect distracted by the politically shiny object. Which largely explains how boiking got the job in the first place.

Last edited:
Logic, asshole.

Oops, I promised to be a kinder, gentler me. Allow me to try again.

"I despise Romney and everything he stands for. Nevertheless, I shall vote for him in November."

Does that sound logical to you? I hope not. That's because it isn't.

People who kept saying "anyone but Obama" got their wish.

To be honest--I think Obama just committed political suicide with this one. If you can't get California to go along with gay marriage--you're not going to have much luck anywhere else in this country. Democrats living in the mid west and south are going to be very offended by his endorsement--along with Latino's who are very Catholic faith based.

I think Obama really doesn't want a second term as President--and that's why he came out with this statement. Mitt Romney could not have received a better gift than this.

I completely disagree.

Had Obama come out and said, "I'm gay and Michele is just a convenience", the election would be over.

Immie

Forum List

Back