What happened to the Republican Party I joined?

I agree wholeheartedly. The caliber of posters claiming that are the likes of JoeB and Jake Starkey. In other words, the lowest of the low.

If more Republicans were like these guys, the GOP would be much better off.
If more Republicans were like those feces, the Democrats would be the conservative party. You've got to understand, whining is more of a "progressive" thing.

You are obviously a "progressive".

All of the new Oklahoma laws aimed at limiting abortion and contraception are great for the Republican family that lives in a gingerbread house with a two-car garage, two planned kids and a dog. In the real world, they are less than perfect.

As a practicing physician (who never has or will perform an abortion), I deal with the real world. In the real world, 15- and 16-year-olds get pregnant (sadly, 12-, 13- and 14-year-olds do also). In the real world, 62 percent of women ages 20 to 24 who give birth are unmarried. And in the world I work and live in, an unplanned pregnancy can throw up a real roadblock on a woman's path to escaping the shackles of poverty.

Yet I cannot convince my Republican colleagues that one of the best ways to eliminate abortions is to ensure access to contraception. A recent attempt by my fellow lawmakers to prevent Medicaid dollars from covering the “morning after” pill is a case in point. Denying access to this important contraceptive is a sure way to increase legal and back-alley abortions. Moreover, such a law would discriminate against low-income women who depend on Medicaid for their health care.

But wait, some lawmakers want to go even further and limit everyone's access to birth control by allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for contraception.

What happened to the Republican Party that I joined? The party where conservative presidential candidate Barry Goldwater felt women should have the right to control their own destiny? The party where President Ronald Reagan said a poor person showing up in the emergency room deserved needed treatment regardless of ability to pay? What happened to the Republican Party that felt government should not overregulate people until (as we say in Oklahoma) “you have walked a mile in their moccasins”?

State Rep. Doug Cox: The GOP and abortion legislation | News OK

Liberal men don't even understand how much they control women's destiny every time they help create a human life and then force a woman to hire a butcher to terminate it. When are they ever going to stop whining about the cost of contraceptives? Don't expect the taxpayers to support your habit.

Dr. Doug Cox (R-OK) has it right, just not crazy right -- "Until quite recently, Planned Parenthood wasn’t controversial among Republicans. It had a long history of conservative backing—Dwight Eisenhower once co-chaired the Planned Parenthood Federation along with Harry Truman, and Barry Goldwater championed it. It’s not surprising that Ann Romney once donated to the organization; lots of Republican women did. And pro-choice Republican women like [Nancy] Brinker were fairly common—even Laura Bush said she backed Roe v. Wade.
In recent years, though, Republicans have become much more absolutist in their opposition to abortion, which has bled over into family planning..."

Dwight Eisnehower and Barry Goldwater backed Planned Parenthood before it became an abortion mill.
Also, Harry S. Truman was a democrat.

Abortion Is Not Planned Parenthood's Central Purpose

97 percent of Planned Parenthood's services are not abortion. Attacks on Planned Parenthood are, by definition, largely attacks on non-abortion services. Attacks on Planned Parenthood's funding, regardless of claimed intent, are strictly attacks on contraception, STI testing/treatment, and cancer screenings.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_by_the_Numbers.pdf

Don't let facts get in the way of your ignorance

There's something like 21 or 22 abortions per 1000 women. And that even includes women who find their fetus has some defect. I would certainly agree with those who oppose abortion rights that there is a racial problem in healthy white babies find homes much more easily than blacks. But, to say there's some genocide or plague here is just self-delusion.
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0101.pdf

All of the new Oklahoma laws aimed at limiting abortion and contraception are great for the Republican family that lives in a gingerbread house with a two-car garage, two planned kids and a dog. In the real world, they are less than perfect.

As a practicing physician (who never has or will perform an abortion), I deal with the real world. In the real world, 15- and 16-year-olds get pregnant (sadly, 12-, 13- and 14-year-olds do also). In the real world, 62 percent of women ages 20 to 24 who give birth are unmarried. And in the world I work and live in, an unplanned pregnancy can throw up a real roadblock on a woman's path to escaping the shackles of poverty.

Yet I cannot convince my Republican colleagues that one of the best ways to eliminate abortions is to ensure access to contraception. A recent attempt by my fellow lawmakers to prevent Medicaid dollars from covering the “morning after” pill is a case in point. Denying access to this important contraceptive is a sure way to increase legal and back-alley abortions. Moreover, such a law would discriminate against low-income women who depend on Medicaid for their health care.

But wait, some lawmakers want to go even further and limit everyone's access to birth control by allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for contraception.

What happened to the Republican Party that I joined? The party where conservative presidential candidate Barry Goldwater felt women should have the right to control their own destiny? The party where President Ronald Reagan said a poor person showing up in the emergency room deserved needed treatment regardless of ability to pay? What happened to the Republican Party that felt government should not overregulate people until (as we say in Oklahoma) “you have walked a mile in their moccasins”?

WOW so why the hell do I want the FEDERAL government to steal my paycheck and pay for contraception? You reasoning appears to be because the FEDERAL government already steals my paycheck to pay for mothers to not work and instead raise their bastard sons and daughters that they have decided to ward to the state. That about sum up your reasoning? Two wrongs make a right? Why don't we just pay the poor folks up to a million dollars if they will agree to remove their sex organs? Why not? I thought the idea was to "save money" by all means possible. Why stop there, why not have government enforce neutering before someone can take a dollar of welfare? How about we force our obese poor to have stomach staples to reduce the amount of health care we have to pay?

Or maybe we should just stop all federal welfare.

Is my thinking too clouded by my experiences in the real world? Experiences like having a preacher, in the privacy of an exam room say, “Doc, you have heard me preach against abortion but now my 15-year-old daughter is pregnant, where can I send her?” Or maybe it was that 17-year-old foreign exchange student who said, “I really made a mistake last night. Can you prescribe a morning-after pill for me? If I return to my home country pregnant, life as I know it will be over.”

What happened to the Republican Party that felt that the government has no business being in an exam room, standing between me and my patient? Where did the party go that felt some decisions in a woman's life should be made not by legislators and government, but rather by the women, her conscience, her doctor and her God?

You're talking nonsense and the hell with personal responsibility, common sense and decency. You're talking statist claptrap, assigning sentiments to Goldwater and Reagan that neither held. You're a fraud and liar. You're a statist bootlick, a self-righteous, Pollyannaish fool prattling on about empowering the government to impose your morality on others, on their dime and at the expense of their liberty. Further, abortion is not liberty. It is not a legitimate right under natural or divine law. It is murder. Period.

Your worldview, like the Democratic Party, is the decline and fall of the United States.

It is sheer evil.

Last edited:
Is my thinking too clouded by my experiences in the real world? Experiences like having a preacher, in the privacy of an exam room say, “Doc, you have heard me preach against abortion but now my 15-year-old daughter is pregnant, where can I send her?” Or maybe it was that 17-year-old foreign exchange student who said, “I really made a mistake last night. Can you prescribe a morning-after pill for me? If I return to my home country pregnant, life as I know it will be over.”

What happened to the Republican Party that felt that the government has no business being in an exam room, standing between me and my patient? Where did the party go that felt some decisions in a woman's life should be made not by legislators and government, but rather by the women, her conscience, her doctor and her God?

You're talking nonsense and the hell with personal responsibility, common sense and decency. You're talking statist claptrap, assigning sentiments to Goldwater and Reagan that neither held. You're a fraud and liar. You're a statist bootlick, a self-righteous, Pollyannaish fool prattling on about empowering the government to impose your morality on others, on their dime and at the expense of their liberty. Further, abortion is not liberty. It is not a legitimate right under natural or divine law. It is murder. Period.

Your worldview, like the Democratic Party, is the decline and fall of the United States.

It is sheer evil.

I'm glad morality is so clear for you, and your black and white views are so clear of Goldwater and Reagan's views, that in reality shifted differently over time.

Liberal men have got it into their pretty little empty heads that they do women a favor when they successfully avoid the responsibility of fatherhood and put women in physical and mental danger at the hands of people like the abortion butcher.

Thank you for a concise and comprehensive post. The answer to the question is quite simple, the GOP of today has put all of their efforts into getting power without a thought to governance.

It is sheer evil.

IMO your post is nothing but an ad hominem attack wrapped in a self righteous arrogance. We are a nation of laws and abortion is legal within specific parameters.

Your post is mindful of a member of the Taliban, an extremist fundamentalist and the greatest threat to world peace since Hitler.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are much more likely to be abused.

Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

are they too fucking stupid to know how to prevent making babies? oh yea, don't answer that, they're democrats. :cuckoo:

When did the Government take over paying for everything for women?

When are women ever going to be held responsible for their actions? The very same actions that men are held responsible for, even being sentenced to jail for living up to those responsibilities?

I don't remember Barry Goldwater saying that the women had the right to "free", tax payer supplied, contraceptives or that 12 year old should be able to get an abortion without her parents knowing about it.

BTW, unless I am totally wrong, the bill the pharmacists are asking for would allow them not to fulfill prescriptions for abortifacients, which cause the already implanted egg to abort if abortion is against their religious beliefs, not contraceptives.

nice deflection.

Stating facts is not deflection. It's showing the misstatements in the OP.

Chris,

In case you missed it the first time..

What do you say to the young man who just found out the woman he met at the party two months ago is pregnant and that he is the father and is going to paying her child support for the next 20 years or go to jail?

What about accountability and responsibility.

Yes, what about accountability and responsibility of the young lady who got pregnant?

Conservatives want to overthrow Roe V. Wade. By overthrowing Roe V. Wade, abortion would not become illegal in all states. The decision of abortion would be left to the states. Then the states would decide rather they supported abortion by listening to the voices of their constituents which is a common practice in a republic democracy. What then would occur would be different opinions battling each other as opposed to what the supreme court had done which was to bypass state rights and rule from Mt. Olympus imposing abortion on states where a majority of people abhorred the very thought of abortion, much less government subsidized abortion where our own money is used for a practice we find immoral and primitive. Liberals prefer large governmental oversight over the rights of the individual. Conservatives of course prefer individual rights over a government who can impose laws from on high without regard to the constitution or legitimate debate.

Last edited:
Chris,

In case you missed it the first time..

What do you say to the young man who just found out the woman he met at the party two months ago is pregnant and that he is the father and is going to paying her child support for the next 20 years or go to jail?

What about accountability and responsibility.

Yes, what about accountability and responsibility of the young lady who got pregnant?

Your ignorance of human relationships is astonishing. Only your self righteous elitism is more reprehensible.

Dr. Doug Cox (R-OK) has it right, just not crazy right -- "Until quite recently, Planned Parenthood wasn’t controversial among Republicans. It had a long history of conservative backing—Dwight Eisenhower once co-chaired the Planned Parenthood Federation along with Harry Truman, and Barry Goldwater championed it. It’s not surprising that Ann Romney once donated to the organization; lots of Republican women did. And pro-choice Republican women like [Nancy] Brinker were fairly common—even Laura Bush said she backed Roe v. Wade.

In recent years, though, Republicans have become much more absolutist in their opposition to abortion, which has bled over into family planning..."

Dwight Eisnehower and Barry Goldwater backed Planned Parenthood before it became an abortion mill.
Also, Harry S. Truman was a democrat.

Abortion Is Not Planned Parenthood's Central Purpose

97 percent of Planned Parenthood's services are not abortion. Attacks on Planned Parenthood are, by definition, largely attacks on non-abortion services. Attacks on Planned Parenthood's funding, regardless of claimed intent, are strictly attacks on contraception, STI testing/treatment, and cancer screenings.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_by_the_Numbers.pdf

Don't let facts get in the way of your ignorance

If you let the numbers speak for themselves, you will see that that 97% claim is a lie.

It is more like 10%.

They perform nearly 330,000 abortions each and every year. That is a million babies killed every three years.

Now I have heard Liberals and Democrats claim that they are willing to do whatever it takes, limit whatever rights they need to limit, in order to save just one life. Yet they continue to demand that the Government fund an organization that kills 3 million babies every 10 years.

An Organization that doesn't do what they claim they do.. They outsource nearly every bit of healthcare except abortions.

Forum List

Back